Thread: Never...

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Listen! Never...

...listen to the weather man. They get paid to lie!

There was a big bright thing in the sky today! No showing of any rain of even many clouds, SO, Mr.weather man I ask you WHAT HAPPENED? My dog can predict the weather better and the only thing he can Log Onto is his food dish, his bone or YOUR LEG...LOL

Arriving early in the AM we drove into the sleepy little town of Coburn where in years past we raced Mt Bikes here, at one time hosting over 500 riders who showed up to race and that was back in the day when dual suspension or hardtail bikes did not exist. Everyone was on a rigid bike and the best gearing was a six or seven speed cluster in the back.Yes only 18 or 21 speeds, no disc brakes either, that was real riding, no lock out or fumbling with squishy suspension components!

Coburn is the kind of place you lock into your mind and never forget, where you might even see a horse and buggy on the roads, hence the reason I lead rides here every year! The fall season is spectacular with the flaming leaves especially in the "SUN" Summer has the Penn's Creek one of a kind "floating loop" on rafts and kayaks where on can float downstraem around a 180 degree bend between the mountains then walk 100 feet through the old railroad tunnel and do it again and again!

This being the 20 plus year or so anniversary, I can't even remember back that far anymore! TOO MANY RIDES?... NEVER!!!!!. The first race was a point to point and we ended up at an old school house where a guy who none of you probably remember was showing off his custom, really trick, handmade bicycles, "Grove Innovations" of Centre Hall Pa. We then loaded our bikes on a old farmers flat bed trailer and jumped into a school bus for the ride back almost 20 miles through the mountains by vehicle. In 1993/94 after the worst winter in recorded history. April that year we showed to race and were told that there was snow up on the mountain and to use caution in that area, Pine Swamp Trail had almost 6 feet of snow and we were told to use Pine Swamp Rd instead. Remember I said "APRIL" Well, there was snow, 4 FEET DEEP! It had been mushed through by riders who went first and later riders found out there was lot's of 'ICE under it making for a great exercise in riding skills. That was fun!

It's just the kind of place you have to see to believe. Coburn was once called "The Forks" The ride we do follows Penn's and Pine Creek where in the past rafts were used by early settlers to carry goods downstream to markets. Coburn developed a century later, in 1886, as the result of James Coburn and the Lewisburg, Centre, and Tyrone Railroad connecting this location with Spring Mills. The old Railroad is long gone but it's footprint remains today and we follow the right of way in sections including 2 tunnels and 2 trestles over Penn's creek. We pass one of my favorite fishing spots near Cherry run on the ride. Caught many a fish there! Other highlights include the amazing gaze from Penn's' view above Poe Paddy State Park on the Milheim Rd. In its heyday, four daily passenger trains and two daily freight trains stopped in Coburn. It was the only way into Poe Paddy picnic area now also a state park, and being surrounded by dense forests, a brisk lumbering trade became the area's core industry with many old logging slides now trails to hike and bike on. Most of the houses were built between 1880 and 1896. Almost every house has gingerbread detailing.

We did it a bit different this year at Coburn, as we rode the shorter loop first then hit the main loop for more than 30 miles of "SUNNY" riding! The climbs even seemed easier with the "SUN" on our faces! Thanks to all who rode and next week we do it all again in another historic place!

NEPMTBA
    WEATHERMEN MAY SUFFER THE WRATH OF THE ROMULAN EMPIRE

Did you ever have ham?
    Sounds like it was a great ride, if only my butt were able to put up with more time in the saddle. I am working on it, though. I did 22 miles over the past three days. Although riding on the railbeds and around town gets so boring!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    some of us remember grove innovations.And teraflex tires also!

Did you ever have ham?
    Wow, if only I could fit a Teraflex on my Windsor. Just think how fast I wouldn't be! LMAO!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Todd:

Get the under liner shorts with the chamois padding in them that way you can wear them under anything or bolt the YZ 490 seat on the Windsor(wait your already doing that for NEPMTBA Biker Build off 2010) Ha ha.

Mxer:

Too bad we didn't grab a Grove bike back in the day! Arron Grove(son of) is building stuff though. I still want a chromo Hot Rods crank set. I think Groovy Cycles will build on as he worked under Grove back in the day. I have a post on this somewhere on MTBR

Hum Terraflex!
    Todd & Mxer:

That Kenda Millville on your YZ 490 looks pretty scarry. I forget what's on my YZ 490. I think a M5B... still scarry. Wouldn't want to see the downside of any of them babies! Braapp... Terraflex's are still avail aren't they? Jump'in Joe runs them on his CR500s We can fit that tire on anything, bring that Windsor over to the shop we have a great SAWSALL and plenty of blades that you bought for the Proformance Cycle refrigerator festival... LOL I still have nightmares about that, usually followed by the Big Caviler Caper... LMAO

NEPMTBA
    MOTO? YOU BET WE DO!

Did you ever have ham?
    MORE POWER!!! That Teraflex on Jumpin Joe's CR500 looked bad-ass! We can cut up ANYTHING. Proformance Cycle Chop Shop....hmmmm, has a nice ring to it! Well, gotta go get my boots on. Too nice of a day not to fire up the Yamaha and go scare some squirrels. RUFF!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nothung better than a cr500 with a new teraflex and a fresh golf course!

Did you ever have ham?
    Rock On, Mxer! Lol!