Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans

22K views 159 replies 29 participants last post by  NEPMTBA 
#1 ·
More MTB trails in the Wyoming Valley area to ride in the process of being constructed by NEPMTBA on the HCGA (Hunlock Creek Grove Associates) private property.

Just a little disclaimer first. "THIS IS PRIVATE PROPERTY" Sorry for the blast, but it is to protect everyone involved. The property is gated and patrolled :arf:

The plan is to have a camping MTB weekend sometime this September, so everyone can check it out! This property is less than one half mile from the fabulous 30 miles of mOOn Lake trails, and I already have permission from the great folks at the mOOn(like they don't know me by now. LOL) and the HCGA to connect all of it together for 2 days of super fun and riding at both places for the 1st Annual HCGA/NEPMTBA MTBW. :thumbsup:

If you have already heard of this adventure, believe me we are not keeping this a secret! NEPMTBA is in the process of building: MTB trails, MTB endurocross, MTB Trials, and an all Wood MTB Pump Track! We have been building and riding the place to death in preparation of the MTBW in September! Trails are roughing in nicely. Five miles of trails are in place now, and this property is nothing like the mOOn. There are MOUNTAINS! Even more interesting are the ROCKS! Like our T-shirts say: "Ride the Rocks at Hunlocks" Or should it say: "Lee Likes ROCKS?" LOL :D

The property is owned by Moto riders (which many are buying MTB's as of lately. LOL) and contains many miles of Moto, Quad trails and old logging roads. As well as the constructed MTB trails, the "Green Moto Loop is very MTB friendly and interesting in it's own respect, No, it's not all ripped up, so don't jump to conclusions! We plan to use it for the MTBW as a kinder, gentler loop for riders who like that kinda stuff. Trails like "High Noon" "Hell Froze Over" and "Terminus Eldorado" are not kind "OR" gentle! Scott O. is making trail/name signs which are color coded as to show the applied trail is "MTB only" Nice job Scott The honorary trail #1 goes to "Fat Dog" (real dog) just don't try to hug him! He approved of his trail by, what else, but taking a dump on it! Ah! to be a Dog! We talked it over and "all" the land owners agree that only MTBs are allowed on the MTB trails! :)

I speak of the greatest thanks to the owners who have provided "every" opportunity to help with all aspects of this project, and totally know what it takes to join forces with others who ride, no matter what kind of vehicle :cornut:

STOP ME?????????? HA! HA! :smallviolin:
NEPMTBA's opportunity to work with many great people continues, add HCGA to the list!

Attachments

See less See more
#34 ·
What's really long and really skinny?...

... Line Nine...

pics 1-4

the newest line on the Woody. Prolly end up being a bit wider than 9 inches to encourage more to ride it, but we won't tell anyone will we? It's really good when you can use a fallen tree in 2 different directions and for two totally different line designs.

pic 5 Tony and Scott in the sweltering heat had the quad hooked up to straps to tune the Bikes of the Round Table rock at the intersection of High Noon and Itchy Tire. The top of this rock is so big and flat and you could park a car on it and still have room left for more.

More later...;)

Attachments

#35 · (Edited)
This should put the thread over 1000 views...

... After the 1 hour torrential downpour everyone got to work...:madmax:

Working on "Line Nine" in the Woody. Line Nine will be the first line to leave the SOB Woody area and connect with the upper mototrials area, where it can be looped back if you like or continue on upper SOB... confused yet?... LOL Riding it will sort it all out, I'm just being articulate!

The 2 machines arrived Friday to expand the pavilion area. It will be really nice when the MTB Weekend rolls around. Lots of tree cutting, stump removal, shuffling of dirt, and all that sourced lots of firewood too for the MTBW. I was drooling at the super skinnys being cut up though. No fear as more remain, especially on Hell Froze Over for the 2 way teeter totter(one each direction next to each other) Got that picture?... LOL:p

Making my job much easier Ray delivered a Suzuki King Quad to use with plans of adding a trailer to the back of it. Should come in really handy to get around the miles of logging roads to get stuff done. The Factory Ford Focus has been on some really scary rocks as of lately getting farther out to build trails.

We had a new guy stop by fron Jersey and he was totally blow away when he heard we have mt bike trails, also on the land. He saw the Woody and just smiled. Five bucks says when he visits next time the MTB is in the truck too.:)

In the one pic it looks like the "local dog union" got together and hired a contractor to dig up their dog bones!... LMAO:D

Good dogs!:arf:

Thanks to Brian and Stephanie for the great food, and to the rest for a good days work done!

Attachments

#39 ·
Stopped by after the race to do a little trail work in the rain...

... of course working on trails in the rain is a great way to see where the water likes to go!:madman:

After spending a few days at the drafting table, and looking at the land on topo maps trying to figure how to use this very "thin ridge trail area" I finally discovered a way to use it as a trail that will benefit us in 3 ways, rather than a hum drum rock crawling experience.:madmax:

One, it will provide a connection with Itchy Tire, this allowing a direction change and open more areas to trails, without climbing a total mega rock infested hill...:eekster:

Two, From the ridge trail going left opens up an area very similar to T-Rex 2 at the mOOn. Flowing connected turns that provide fun! Might even Lolli-pop it to reconnect with Itchy Tire and do laps!:p

Three, From the ridge trail going right puts the rider back in the rocks. Not a bad thing just a different type of terrain.:D

So there it is another new trail and area to add to the Hunlock's Rocks riding area. It's roughed in and will be open for the "Ride da rocks at Hunlocks MTB Weekend on October 1&2 :thumbsup:

Attachments

#42 · (Edited)
Hurricane........ baaa...:cool:

... just get wetter when it rains sideways... LOL;)

Biggest problem was getting there, roads blocked, one with 17 trees...:eekster: so I helped cut trees out since I had the chain saw and fuel in the vehicle, even met one guy who asked about mt biking at mOOn, after our brief conversation while cutting trees off the road, then he asked me "where the hell I was going to" Told him to HCGA, to work and ride. You had to see the look on his face! A true believer:D

Got the new bridge built on Itchy Tire(IT) over the water line. Got it really level and smooth as to not deflect riders cause it is in a turn and up a bit, riding it puts you out over the view.:eek:

The Suzuki 4wd quad works great for hauling tools and lumber even if I can't get right on the trail near is close enough... Thanks again Ray!:)

Right after the bridge on IT the angled log over got a small ramp filler, should improve flow but yet hold interest as an object.:ihih:

Sorry for a few blurry pics due to the rain, I'll get better ones next time.

Attachments

#45 · (Edited)
Hurricane pics of the Woody and Fat Dog...

... then the newest unnamed trail rock section!

It has a big table rock turn and a double line with zap gaps,(croutons not included) might drop a nut on this one... LOL

Ride da (hurricane proof) Rocks at Hunlocks!

Attachments

#46 ·
WOW... THAT is amazing work , dedication, and much loyalty . I wish NJ had more people like you and trails like this , its a shame since we have soo many mountains and nobody is creative up here. You guys looking to maybe add some DH kind of style trails? with some nice berms, drops, and 3-4 jumps ? WOuld be pretty sweet !

#47 ·
Thanks for your great comments...

...I'll pass it on to the land owners also!

We have been looking at the property elevations and after the XC trails are done we plan to have a DH line or two. We have the wood to build also, good thing is its private property and owned by Moto guys so jumping is right up their alley, some of the moto trails have super ledge drops now, but in true moto style they usually slam right back up the next ridge, pretty much impossible on an MTB.

I hope you can gather a group in NJ someday. NJ has some of the greatest trails alll around. Have hit many of the H2H races got to see lots!

As soon as I hit the lottery for a realy big amount I will just ride around and build stuff for people to ride!

We have a mt bike weekend at the HCGA and Moon lake properties October 1-2 your invited, come ride, drink, and be hairy... LOL

#48 ·
The trees on FaT Fog are chainsawed out. The bottom section of High Noon is blown out and clear now. The Boardwalk section is blown clear and back to normal now too. I should be up there tomorrow and we'll see how much more can get cleared.

Lee, I have your gas can still too. I'll put it in the Red Building if I don't see you Monday.

#52 ·
The continuing growth of the DR trail...

... as it gets longer it spans more very interesting areas of the HCGA land.

Scott O. and myself continued to work today on the DR trail completing the next section down from the Mono Rock. Did I mention the Mono Rock before? Nope, cause till now it was a closely guarded secret area of the land! I will tell of a rock the size of a house does exist and is ridable in a unique way. Entering with a shoot the gap type of section, it continues up and over through large stepped ledge rocks and has 3 different exits, one double drops off a big rock, another drops at an angle, while the third is a "once you commit, your it" The Mono Rock is bordered by blackwater on one side and a ridge line on the other, which both are in play in different ways. No pictures will be released, so you just have to ride it in person. If you can that is... LOL

Fat Dog supervised all work today...

... speaking of today's work, the next section of DR contains a feature know now as the "Triangle Straight Angle" as coined by Scott. Staring with a super tight uphill turn(you know how much we like that kind of stuff... LOL), entering on 2 large elevated triangle rocks to a shelf that will surly be an interesting challenge. It does contain one hard line, one scary line, and one "WHAT THE HELL" line (insert Jay can ride this here)... LOL... all for added interest.

Moving all these huge rocks with the winch on the Suzuki Quadmaster 4WD garners another big thanks to Ray and the use of his quad to make all this easier and possible. He even tops it off with fuel every time we need to use it "RAY RULES"

Fat Dog wants you to know he has 2 big surprises. One on the next section of DR, a hint, it will include lots of blackwater, and U bolts, the other is, can DR contain a loop within a loop? Sure can!

So till next time,
Fat Dog(go ahead giv'em a HUG!)signing off

Attachments

#53 ·
To the HCGA crew...

... I'm planning on being at the land 8 AM on Saturday for a full day work, concentrating on the DR trail and the area Scott O. and I researched. Since we are so far out now here's a bit of my location info. I will start at the rock feature next to the "shoot" that parallels the gas line access and work back towards the property line corner!

Planning to ride after the work to test run/tune the sections of DR

#54 ·
Work continued today on the Dirt Rag trail...

... with Jimmy M and Scott O joining me we added another 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile of trail, wind howling across the ridges one had to keep moving to stay warm! This trail will be truly "Epic" when finished as we are taking our time to find every feature and flow area to allow the future users to experience true mt biking on trail designed for that purpose.

After the work day Jimmy M had cooked up 2 smoked chickens and boy did they taste great! Talk about hitting the spot! Thanks Jimmy!

Work continues Sunday... :thumbsup:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.