Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'll be stopping by to check out the new trails that weekend.

-Alex

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Smile The continuing growth of the DR trail...

... as it gets longer it spans more very interesting areas of the HCGA land.

Scott O. and myself continued to work today on the DR trail completing the next section down from the Mono Rock. Did I mention the Mono Rock before? Nope, cause till now it was a closely guarded secret area of the land! I will tell of a rock the size of a house does exist and is ridable in a unique way. Entering with a shoot the gap type of section, it continues up and over through large stepped ledge rocks and has 3 different exits, one double drops off a big rock, another drops at an angle, while the third is a "once you commit, your it" The Mono Rock is bordered by blackwater on one side and a ridge line on the other, which both are in play in different ways. No pictures will be released, so you just have to ride it in person. If you can that is... LOL

Fat Dog supervised all work today...

... speaking of today's work, the next section of DR contains a feature know now as the "Triangle Straight Angle" as coined by Scott. Staring with a super tight uphill turn(you know how much we like that kind of stuff... LOL), entering on 2 large elevated triangle rocks to a shelf that will surly be an interesting challenge. It does contain one hard line, one scary line, and one "WHAT THE HELL" line (insert Jay can ride this here)... LOL... all for added interest.

Moving all these huge rocks with the winch on the Suzuki Quadmaster 4WD garners another big thanks to Ray and the use of his quad to make all this easier and possible. He even tops it off with fuel every time we need to use it "RAY RULES"

Fat Dog wants you to know he has 2 big surprises. One on the next section of DR, a hint, it will include lots of blackwater, and U bolts, the other is, can DR contain a loop within a loop? Sure can!

So till next time,
    Fat Dog(go ahead giv'em a HUG!)signing off
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-imag0145.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-imag0144.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-imag0146.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-imag0147.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-imag0151.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Smile

To the HCGA crew...

... I'm planning on being at the land 8 AM on Saturday for a full day work, concentrating on the DR trail and the area Scott O. and I researched. Since we are so far out now here's a bit of my location info. I will start at the rock feature next to the "shoot" that parallels the gas line access and work back towards the property line corner!

Planning to ride after the work to test run/tune the sections of DR

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Work continued today on the Dirt Rag trail...

... with Jimmy M and Scott O joining me we added another 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile of trail, wind howling across the ridges one had to keep moving to stay warm! This trail will be truly "Epic" when finished as we are taking our time to find every feature and flow area to allow the future users to experience true mt biking on trail designed for that purpose.

After the work day Jimmy M had cooked up 2 smoked chickens and boy did they taste great! Talk about hitting the spot! Thanks Jimmy!

Work continues Sunday...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-imag0158.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-imag0159.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-imag0160.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-imag0162.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

deleted
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 10-15-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Worked on the Dirt Rag...

...trail/intersection off High Noon today cleared and tuned to the Green Trail just needs the wacker and blade and blown clean after!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

deleted
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 10-24-2011 at 01:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Diggin this trail. keep the pics comin

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Progress...

... Future work will continue on Dirt Rag, with more trail being put on dirt this winter...

... also on the winter agenda an easy/wider "green" loop! Getting together with Scott and Jimmy on this one as they have talked about it before. It will work great for snowy winter riding to get up to the top, and around the property.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Work will continue Thursday at...

... the Angle Straight Angle area of Dirt Rag, yes we have another surprise planned and it will really cool. More on this after it's completed.

Saturday: Leaf removal on all trails will commence and the Teeter Totter on Terminus Eldorado will be built.

Ride da Rocks @ Hunlocks
    Waldo is not missing, he got roosted!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-imag0145.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

More work completed...

... working from the top of the climb over to the Mono Rock and further today. The Mono Rock got a huge tune up with multiply lines now in place. There is no easy line in this section, just SCARY, ULTRA SCARY and SCARED SHEEP!!!!!!!!!! ... LOL

This section kinda reminds me of Arlo's motorcycle song lyrics:
    ... On one side of the mountain road there was a mountain, and on the other side there was nothin' - there was a cliff in the air.

So... in the first selection of pics, you enter Mono Rock hop across rock gaps, then descend dropping off a huge rock incline. I have done it on a rigid SS 29er and from the top it looks like your gonna die, but it really rolls out smooth if you just commit and pull a bit at the bottom.

As you can see the pics descend from the top then the last pic I turned around for the pic looking back up, and Fat Dog is in the same place, so you can see just how steep it is even though the camera flattens it, you can imagine it is much steeper in person! The thing is THIS IS THE EASIEST LINE! The others are, well... gotta see them in person!

Next selection of pics... surprise, surprise Dirt Rag trail gets a Woody, after the Mono Rock and the Angle Straight Angle you descend through a rock cliff section bordered by Blackwater so a deck was necessary to get up and out of the water. It is a very cool section, and very scenic.

This one section of DR containing highlights: Dragons Back, West Virginia, Mono Rock, Angle Straight Angle, "Tits", and Blackwater which amounts to about 500 feet of trail, and it has sucked up between 40 and 60 hours with 2 workers at the helm, designing, roughing in, brushing out, kicking sticks, laying rocks, dropping trees, building bridges, and final tuning shows just how much work goes into this stuff, and it's only halfway finished.

Ride da Hunlocks Rocks
    all 3 of them... LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-imag0004_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-imag0005_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-imag0007_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-imag0008_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-imag0009_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-imag0010_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-imag0012_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-imag0016_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-imag0017_900x900.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Work was fun today ...

GB and Amesue removed leaf debris from the trails with their back pack blowers, then joined us for the Teeter-Totter build and ...

... building the 20 footer Teeter-Totter on Hell Froze Over at HCGA was a treat. We hauled all to tools including air compressor, generator, nail gun and power tools to Terminus and constructed the awesome TT, with a few optional lines also, making that area of trail even more fun to ride.

Next time we ride...
    ... pics of the fun!

Hunlocks Rocks
    Now in Stereo...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Dave and Amesue,
    Thanks for all your help today. For sure a good day. I picked up some 12" spikes tonight to finish up the TT. A bit more work on the top section of Dirt Rag and it should be done except for any alt lines anyone sees and wants to put in.

I think I need to try that chute tomorrow... I'm in class all week so a few scratches and a dent or two will heal while sitting behind a terminal.

Lee,
    Thanks as always for all your work.

mtbr member
    Scott / Lee,

Our pleaseure to help out. Since you guys are awesome enough to let us ride out there with you, it's the least we can do! Anytime you need help, let us know!

Can't wait to try that teeter! The chute looks fun too... the whole new section of DIrt Rag looks amazing.. my curiousity is killing me..

Amy

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Thanks...

... it's great that "everyone" helps out, that makes it so awesome, so many hands and ideas, broaden the scope of all we have to use!

Go'in Rid'in
    Ride Go'in...

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

6 AM and a Great weekend for trail building...

..sans leaves and 50 degree temps!

Let's see what the day brings...

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Today was super...

...weather was warm and sunny. Scott O, groomed the open sections of DR while I roughed out the next new addition to DR running back towards Itchy Tire. Even though the connection is 2 ridges away right now, I can't wait for the day it's all connected.

Scott O. cut wood for our upcoming Christmas party! Great to have nice weather to work in!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just wanna ride them!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Beardman27 View Post
    I just wanna ride them!!
    Well...

... December 3rd is the Christmas party, so ride the trails then!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

More done today...

... the highlight being the bridgework on the Blackwater section of Dirt Rag is done, done, done, but not without notice, as we worked Scott O's both dogs got into a porcupine, with Fat Dog returning looking like a pin cushion and Casey non the less much better so, they both had to go to the doggy vet. I hope they are OK...

... we were visited by the other 2 dogs that protect the property: Ebony and Pup! They were very happy to see us...

... at that point I headed over to another new section of DR and roughed it in, after Scott returned we finished the brigdework with a few additions. After your tires leave the woody they get to enjoy a "rock gap" and some nice rock slab work, with more coming in the future...

... Then we proceeded to begin to tackle the Dragon's Back a line of elevated rocks which will have no optional line "ride or walk it" Like Scott said: "There will always be some sections of trail that some just can't ride!

Ride da Dragon's Back
    ... more next time!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-hcga-work-11-17-11-001_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-hcga-work-11-17-11-002_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-hcga-work-11-17-11-003_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-hcga-work-11-17-11-004_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-hcga-work-11-17-11-006_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-hcga-work-11-17-11-007_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-hcga-work-11-17-11-011_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-hcga-work-11-17-11-012_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-hcga-work-11-17-11-013_900x900.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

The new Skinny on Itchy Tire is done!

Scott O. and I got it finished today, located on Itchy Tire it's 6 inches wide and prolly 40 feet long going up and down over a stump with a 1 foot elevation gain! A real fun ride!

Dirt Rag got another section added today and finished ready to ride! It will climb along a ridge with great views like other sections of DR. Unlike other sections of DR it is fairy smooth and not real technical. A rest for the upcoming long hard climb up to the "Stinker" Rock section!

Future work will include the "slalom" section of DR, and the "Great Rock Scare" section of DR! Getting DR closer to a competed loop of pure joy for the rider looking for everything in one trail.

Can't wait for the NEPMTBA/HCGA Christmas party December 3rd as we all get to ride the fun again, check it out here:
    2011 NEPMTBA Christmas Party
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-copy-hcga-work-11-20-11-001_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-copy-hcga-work-11-20-11-002_900x900.jpg  

Single Track Addict
    Ok, I'm thoroughly interested in these trails... how does one go about gaining permission to ride?
    Will ride singletrack for food...

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Next open invitation is December 3rd

Our NEPMTBA/HCGA Christmas party/ride:
    2011 NEPMTBA Christmas Party

Might be one sooner over the T-Giving holiday...

... keep watching!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Something new is brewing here...

... another trail?
    Looks pretty boring right now.

Updates and info to follow soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-copy-hcga-work-bouncing-betty-11-23-11_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-copy-hcga-work-trials-sec-one-11-23-11-001.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

With 2 different trails in the process...

...of building leaves lots on the plate, and today after the mOOn ride more Dirt Rag was roughed in. This section will be a descending slope similar to T-Rex over at da mOOn, hence called the slalom section of DR(read jumps). Less techy and more open, wedged between two ridges the "slalom on DR" will be the meat in the climbing sandwich and a fun rest from the two climbs, that preceed and follow it. As the 2 pics show the before and after but don't really do it justice as the trail heads towards the cliffs and is very scenic!

Introducing another new ribbon of Dirt at HCGA, "Bouncing Betty" a true downhill that will, when finished feature multi lines including different levels of ramps and dirt jumps. Winding its way down to the parking lot in the perfect place to allow shuttle runs for continous enjoyment, or a loop back up Fat Dog for the XC crowd. In the process of lining up a machine to rough it in hopefully before the frost.

Bouncing Betty also runs through a future planned area that will feature bike/moto trials area called "Section One" which will be completed between now and spring 2012, and right in time for HCGA's Moto trials scheduled for 2012!

Ride da Rocks
    Ride Bouncing Betty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-hcga-work-t-day-11-24-11-001_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-hcga-work-t-day-11-24-11-002_900x900.jpg  

NEPMTBA/HCGA trail construction and MTBW plans-hcga-work-t-day-11-24-11-004_900x900.jpg  

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast