Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm NEPA trails conditions 3/17/15

Well the thaw is really slow getting going...

Prompton SP socked in unridable
    Moosic Mt socked in, less snow
    Frances Slocum lots of ice
    Moon better, but tough
    Lackawanna rode it Sunday lots of ice

This is just my take, of course your riding ability and type of bike make a difference!

Lets hear your take
    Post your results
    Happy St Rats day!

Rolling on 650b
    Tried Mountain top yesterday. Found the singletrack to be unridable. Went to the D&L, it was good on a fat bike, a little more work on a regular bike, but rideable.

Hopewell Danville trails are basically 100% snow free. There is still localized areas of trail ice, esp on north facing slopes. Deep Hollow and Nikk's Big Banana were the only sections that were fairly treacherous (pretty much unrideable) with conventional tires. I rode a pre-dawn night ride with temperature in the mid-20s, so trails were firm. I suspect that at >32deg, some of the trails would be pretty soft and susceptible to damage. Down and Dirty in particular shown be avoided in warm temps until it dries out.

I haven't been over to Geisinger lately, but I suspect similar conditions, with possibly some snow on the north slopes due to the slightly higher elevation.

Rolling on 650b

American Standard and Deer path.

Gameland roads on both sides of route 93 on the Broad Mtn. are >98% snow and ice covered. The deer path is about 75% covered with about 3 inches or so of snow. I took a look at the American Standard where it intersects with firetower road, and it was completely covered, and fairly deep yet. Ended up doing about 2 1/2 miles then coming home and doing a road ride. At least the roads are clear of snow....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEPA trails conditions 3/17/15-american-standard-3-25.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Is it all just a mess right now? Don't want to trip out there next week if it's a hot mess, or susceptible to damage.

Rolling on 650b
    At least you can't damage trails that are covered in snow and ice. When the broad mountain loop becomes defrosted, I don't think trail damage would be an issue with all the rock they have 'paved' the trail with the last couple years. Not the best riding, but sustainable.

Rolling on 650b
    Rode Mocanaqua today. It had a few patches of ice/snow, but they weren't all that long and were ride-able if you took it easy. They rest of the trails were good. A bit mushy in some of the strip mine areas, but hey, its a strip mine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hit up mt penn today. Overall not that bad. Some small patches of ice in spots along with some small areas of snow. But all very rideable. Be prepared to get a little muddy.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Moon lake today was generally ridable. Most of the trails transitioned back and forth between dirt and granular wet snow, so you could power through the snow. A few trails had long sections of granular wet snow that was still fairly deep and unridable. DT was mushy, ST was reasonably firm. I was on a non-fatty SS. Conditions will be changing a lot the next few days though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I rode the Mountain Top/Dead Deer trails yesterday and it was pretty much entirely rideable. Small patches of snow here and there where the shade covers the ground a lot. It was a little mushy but hardly muddy except a few areas. Definitely worth the ride.