Thread: NEPA riding

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

NEPA riding

I'll be haading back to Harvey's Lake this weekend and will be in town all next week. I usally hit Moom lake and Francis Slocum but an looking to mix it up. What else is worth it. I've heard Mountain top and 7 tubbs are good ( does not look like tubbs is very big ). Where and when are people riding? I usally ride mid morning.

A typical week in NEPA generally looks a little like this:
    Mon - group ride 7 Tubs (I think, Krazcustoms can confirm) 7 Tubs is smallish, but very techy
    Tue - group ride Francis Slocum and Moosic Mt
    Wed - group ride Moon Lake
    Thur - group ride Mt Top, also Hubbard
    Fri - group ride CDH

There's also Prompton Dam, Merli Sarnoski, and Lackawanna St Park.

Edit - all of the above mentioned rides start between 5-6pm

mtbr member
    Hey Murph..nice to see you ridin'!

The Tubbs, although not that large, is a very technical place and very challenging. Also, the Mountaintop group that pretty much does all the work up there, "Mttoptrek, jedi Mike, Bear, ecy...can definitly show you a great ride as their group ride is on Monday starting at 6pm I believe.

They have included also the "Mountain Park" loop up there as well, going over the top of the mountain thru the old abandoned amusement park...so, it really added on the mileage.

On the WVMTBA website Bear started a thread on the Tubbs, so please by all means check it out.

http://forums.wvmtba.com/showthread.php?t=511

Thanks to "Bear" we have a highly detailed GPS script of the course on that post too!

If you are around all week, you can do the Tubbs on Monday, Frances Slocum on Tuesday, Moon Lake on Wensday, Hubbard on Thursday, and the world famous Chinese Downhill & P-Town trails on Friday!

Kevin at Plains Bike

www.wvmtba.com
    An IMBA affliated Group
    Facebook.com/Plains Bike Shop

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'm only today feeling recovered from my wipeouts at Tubbs on Monday, definitely gotta keep my energy up better next week so I don't endo off the same rocks. New rocks is okay, just not the same ones. What Tubbs lacks in mileage it makes up for in effort. Truly.

Murph, if you're lucky either "Amy Sue" or "Got Bike" over on the wvmtba will call a Friedman Farms ride on Tues or Thurs. It's 6.5 miles of good slow techy riding. Very satisfying.

mtbr member
    ^ Yeah...I think Amy, Got Bike & Gary did a combined Frances Slocum/Friedmans ride this past Tuesday with plans to continue that "Adventure" each week.
    Facebook.com/Plains Bike Shop

ganginwood
    if you have a road bike....the wednesday night world championships at harveys lake is a must.

5:30 from the grotto parking lot for the 35 mile ride. 4:30 from the parking lot for the hour warm up and 2:30 from the parking lot for the 2 hour pre warm up to the warm up. that was not a joke.
    oh yeah...bring your lungs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for all the info. I'll try to make some of the group rides at night, but that is a harder time of day with family commitments. I'll be doing most of my riding during the day are there any good maps of the chineese down hill, or Mt Top,?

mtbr member
    The 7 Tubs Monday ride leaves at 5. The way we ride it, it's about 6.6 miles but feels more like 15 due to the rockiness. Just a warning - we screw around alot so hammerheads probably wouldn't like riding with us.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i'm off wed-thurs next week and will give you a tour of some of the mttop trails send me a PM if either of these days work for you

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I got in a quick 8 miles on my new 29er at the moon, felt great after 8 hours in the car this morning. the trails are in great condition, (most stuff in vt is just opening this weekend). Saw a few groups out there sorry i did not stop to talk but I had limited time. When and were are people riding tomorrow ( weather permitted)

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    I'll be in Scranton this Thursday & would love to get in on the Hubbard ride....if I could find a bike that is! Any shops in town rent?
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

BIKE!!
    Nov 2005
    P-Town (CDH) trails don't have a good map. Hard to explain since alot of the trail entrances are "hidden" to dismay atv's. As stated we ride on Friday around 6p.m. Glad to have you if the family allows. email if interested. gmikulski@live.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Where is the trailhead for the Mt. Top trails?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've been told moon lake dries fast, with the sun and wind this morning will it be dry enough to ride this afternoon? or will anything else in the area be ridable? thinking of heading out around 1ish? if anyone is interested

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey murph ill be there around that time. I should be out of class by noon then i am gonna run home and grab my bike. Give me a ring 570-406-6114 if you want to meet up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by murph62903
    I've been told moon lake dries fast, with the sun and wind this morning will it be dry enough to ride this afternoon? or will anything else in the area be ridable? thinking of heading out around 1ish? if anyone is interested
    Salamander and Edge are bulletproof. Those trails are certainly "safe" to ride. Steep off-camber rock drains well, but be careful.

Avoid JKE, the 2nd section of T-Rex 2, the flatter half that you make a left turn onto, possibly the Dark as well. 5 Tree will have 10-20 yards that will be mud. The bottom of Skinny is likely bad.

My suggested route would be: Starting at the front of the park head toward Thorny Hollow at the tennis courts, but skip around the trail and go to Big Blue. Take this to you just about come out at the Nature Center, and make a right to go downhill on the grass path until you see a right turn for Nightmare. That takes you to the start of Burt's which will be a right. Ride Burt's and Moto and at the end of the go straight and right 5 Tree back to mostly where you came from. When 5 Tree ends instead of JKE take Twister which starts by the Disc Golf course on the same road just uphill of JKE. Twister dumps you on to Buddy's where you will want to go right.

Head across the traffic circle in the park and onto Watkins (this might be wetter than the rest). Take the Marina / Skinny trail up to edge and make a right onto Edge. RIde this, then T-Rex 1, T-Rex 2 and when you get to the campground skip the last T-Rex 2 section by going straight instead of turning left onto it. You could go NFS, or Screamer, or work your way over to 8 and Salamander from here.

Just remember the green rocks are going to be slick. The organic soil in the majority of the trails just soaks rain up. I may go out there at some point to walk/GPS Lakeview, and if I do I will update you on things.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    it does not look like our newborn is agreeing with the plan... so maybe I'll be out later in the day

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdave
    i'm off wed-thurs next week and will give you a tour of some of the mttop trails send me a PM if either of these days work for you
    Dave P.M send

mtbr member
    Up for some FS Wed afternoon? Thinking 3pm.
    Send PM if Interested.
    Joe
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "