Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need suggestions - Riding and staying in SW Pennsylvania

601 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  broberts42 
#1 ·
My wife and I are looking to ride in southwestern PA in August. We'll be out there dropping our kids off at Penn State and Pitt. We've ridden Allegrippis before, but are looking for other ideas for relatively non-technical, but fun/flowy singletrack. We'd also like to visit Fallingwater. Can anyone recommend some riding in that region? I see that Forbes/Linn/Laurel all have riding, but from the little info I can find, it's all pretty technical, which won't sit well with the wife. Also, we'd love to find a lake to stay at or very near. Any suggestions for trails/lodging/towns, etc. would really be appreciated.

#2 ·
Yellow Creek, Boyce, North Park, off the top of my head. YC is really easy to follow and a nice out and back is about 13ish miles depending on the course you follow. Boyce is a spiderweb of trails, might want to talk to someone about a map or route there, the same with NP.

Those three are probably the flowiest out here? I could be wrong but everything else is pretty much a Tech Fest.

#4 ·
There's good maps to the park on the Allegheny County Parks website. Boyce and NP both have blazed trails. Frick is good too, though more bench-cut than either of the prior two, un-blazed, and without a good map.

Watch out, it rains a lot in the Pittsburgh area and the trails generally get sloppy when that happens (though they generally also drie out faster this time of year). If it's wet out, Riverview park, on the North Shore, is generally said to be the only dry place to ride. Can't speak to the technicality there though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.