mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Need a quickie near Wilkes Barre

I'm looking for a 1 hr quickie near the Laurel Run, Mountain Top, Bear Creek area. I don't mind an out-and-back, just put me at a good trail head. I'll be commuting from Reading to that area, and would love to find a place to ride along the way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Seven Tubs is the thing that pops into my mind as the most convenient option. Frances Slocum and Moon Lake Park are on the other side of Wilkes-Barre so would be out of our way a bit I would expect. I'm sure someone with some better knowledge will come along with good ideas. Moon Lake might be good to consider when you think the others might have mud/rain issues at it seems to be completely unaffected by rain. It would be some extra work to get there though.

ganginwood
    Quote Originally Posted by tduro
    I'm looking for a 1 hr quickie near the Laurel Run, Mountain Top, Bear Creek area.
    mt top.
    my favorite quote from mt top
    "why don't we just do a 2 hour ride in 1 hour."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

tduro:

Seven Tubs 7 miles Lot's of rocks
    Moon Lake Lot's of New Trails

http://www.luzernecounty.org/county/...e-county-parks

Mt Top Many miles of great trails off Church Rd off Rt 437 near A&R Hardware.

Mocanaqua Loop Old mine Rds
    Penobscot Ridge Bike Trail
    http://www.earthconservancy.org/proj...amenities.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    All, thanks for the great suggestions! I hope to try them all!

I checked out 7 tubs today for about an hour. I only did 6 miles! Rough place for a hard tail! I took the road all the way to the bottom, crossed the collapsed concrete bridge, and turned right. I messed around back there a bit, but didn't find anything good, so I went back, past the collapsed bridge, and continued following the road along the creek. I followed that pretty far before turning left onto an ATV trail. I followed that rocky bastard uphill at every junction, until I had to turn back for lack of time. I then re-traced my steps back to the car.

Because the return trip was faster, I had a little more time to kill, so I rode out almost to Rt. 115, where I found a trail on the right. I'll be starting there next time.

I checked out the paved path to the first "tub", and saw a blue blazed trail, but wasn't sure if I could ride there. It looked more like a nature walk. Is that fair game?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Smile

tduro:

Drive in and turn around. Park outside the upper gate facing RT 115. This way you won't get locked in.

Look over the guard rail near where you park on the upper side. Steep downhill about 30 or so feet, follow this trail you will cross a small bridge then keep left, you will arrive at the railroad tracks. Turn right follow them and keep looking to you right for a trail with a downed tree with railroad ties near it this is more of the trail system. You are allowed to ride all the trails, but we tend to not ride the lower trail near the Tubs cause people hike there, just respectful.

I'm sure Mike or Brian will respond if they see this post. They do rides there every other Monday.

Here's Bri's map:

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hey, thanks a bunch NEPMTBA. I had a blast, and I wasn't even on the map! Can't wait for my next explore!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

tubs

Yeah you missed all of the good stuff. There are sections of the trail that you'll feel if on a hardtail but we generally just take it slow and easy. It is definetely for people who like slow technicle riding . The people who don't have pretty much made go arounds past most of the difficult parts ( if that is good or bad I'll leave for you to decide). We avoid the lower part of the blue trail due to erosion and off camber wetness. there are a few trails off of the blue that are not marked. I am not sure when we'll be there again but we'd be happy to show you how we ride it.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

tduro:

Def check out bwillsie's map and trails. He and Mike K. have done some Amazing Bridge work using Big Natural Stones! Like he said there's rock placements that lead to tricky sections or you can just go round. With 7 miles of tech trails i find when i get done there my upper body feels it. lot's of lifting and pulling to get over some really neat trails!

We're glad you visited...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If You Ride Down The Paved Road To The Bottom Lot And Cross The Pedestrian Bridge You Can Ride The Trail From That Direction. There Are Hikers On That Whole Trail System Not Just The Lower Along The Creek. Yes It Is Wet At Times But As Far As The Erosion...everytime The Creek Rises It Erodes So Bikers Have Minimal Impact. You Just Have To Learn How To Ride That Stuff Before You Make ANY Excuses Why You Actually Dont. So To All You Eco-queens...did You Drive Your Car To Get To The Tubs? You're Polluting My Enviroment.
    Last edited by epicbich; 09-12-2008 at 08:20 AM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by epicbich
    If You Ride Down The Paved Road To The Bottom Lot And Cross The Pedestrian Bridge You Can Ride The Trail From That Direction. There Are Hikers On That Whole Trail System Not Just The Lower Along The Creek. Yes It Is Wet At Times But As Far As The Erosion...everytime The Creek Rises It Erodes So Bikers Have Minimal Impact. You Just Have To Learn How To Ride That Stuff Before You Make And Excuse Why You Actually Dont. So To All You Eco-queens...did You Drive Your Car To Get To The Tubs? You'rePolluting My Enviroment.
    WOW.. LOL!.

Don't throw me in that category... Ride with me before you judge me! Dude, he gave me props for helping him.

I have ridden down there, I just choose "not" to ride down there! and my advice was to him as to a better trail for him to try. My comment was just a suggestion!

Oh by the way? "You" ride the "PAVED Road? I don't!!!!!!!!... LOL!

See ya on the trails not the paved road...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epicbich
    If You Ride Down The Paved Road To The Bottom Lot And Cross The Pedestrian Bridge You Can Ride The Trail From That Direction. There Are Hikers On That Whole Trail System Not Just The Lower Along The Creek. Yes It Is Wet At Times But As Far As The Erosion...everytime The Creek Rises It Erodes So Bikers Have Minimal Impact. You Just Have To Learn How To Ride That Stuff Before You Make ANY Excuses Why You Actually Dont. So To All You Eco-queens...did You Drive Your Car To Get To The Tubs? You're Polluting My Enviroment.
    Umm.... the lower blue trail is in far worse condition now than it was 15 years ago and alot of it is due to bikes. It's pretty obvious and really has nothing to do with the water rising. Plus, alot of hikers just go up and down the lower trail due to it being along the water and all. We rarely run into hikers on the upper part. It's not a matter of ability but of consideration - for other people and the trail itself. To the original poster, the red route (on the map, the trail itself isn't yet marked) is the most fun!! Like NEPMTBA said, park at the top of the paved road and hop over the guard rail. The trail is fairly easy to follow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I know better than to take epicbich seriously, considering his forum name, post record, nonsensical typing, and the fact that he promotes MTB'ing on the handicapped trails.

I was there on a Thursday, mid-day, and there were several seniors wandering around, some being helped just to walk. You'd have to be an idiot to impose yourself upon them on a MTB.

Being good stewards and good neighbors is the ONLY way to keep mountain biking alive (and legal).

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

tduro:

It's always nice to get along with the neighbors and like Kraz says more people hike the lower trail due to the creek! So who wants to stop every few to let hikers by when you can tool around on other trails!

Epicbich is a one post willy... What a poser! Prolly just a red & white thing! Like usual he will go sign up under another screen name and have one more post then hide again! We ride Tubs all the time never saw him or his superman tech skills there!

LOL!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    NEPMTBA...what a poser? You need to get some skills and not just be able to ride almost paved, hard packed trails. God forbid you go out of your element and ride on a trail that actually has some rocks on it (instead of whining when you encounter such). Not being superman, just doing what I do best. And to tduro...they are not handicapped trails, as far as my post record...never really felt the need the jump in on something until now. maybe I should have stayed in the wings and let you poster children for all things good mtb have your glory.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Ah Ha Ha HaHaHaHa I'm cracking up! The Red & White thing always works... LOL!

If it's posing you call what I do then so be it "Man it's a BLAST" Maybe I'm the number one poser! Yee Haa... Where do I get my award?

We have a blast at the Tubs and never ever saw you there! Even so you would have been welcome to join our fun and yes we ride with people from all skill levels! It's not a comp here on MTBR where you don't show your real name, but on the trail you have to be you, no hiding there! Maybe a better first post would have been to introduce yourself to everyone and make friends. By the way the bridge across Wheelbarrow run "IS" for handicapped people, hence the ballads and steps at the other end make it very difficult to get a bike through although you can.

Here's from Luzernecounty.org Educate yourself...

Seven Tubs Nature Area
    (also known as Seven Tubs Park)
    Over hundreds of thousands of years ago, as Wheelbarrow Run cascaded down through the bedrock of Wyoming Mountain, the stream cut a path through three layers of bedrock, and created in the hard gray sandstone a remarkable geologic attraction – seven potholes or tubs – along which the county has created a rustic, forest trail with steps and bridges to accommodate hikers. Referred to as The Tubs Nature Area, geologists think the tubs were formed thousands of years ago during the last Ice Age. Basically, a melt-water stream broke through a glacier, which then caused a whirling motion of rock fragments, effectively carving seven potholes out of the bedrock. In addition to the short trail that works its way up and around the tubs, a longer trail loops around the adjacent Laurel Run. If you are an avid mountain biker, this trail is one of the more popular trails in Luzerne County.
    "You" even called it a "The Pedestrian Bridge" in your post!

tduro:

Like I said before hope you have fun and come back for more Maybe we ride together soon and show you some other great places we have! Just ignore the background noise that adds no info or help

Here's a bit of posing for ya... epic...
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 09-15-2008 at 08:39 AM.

Big Up... Chump
    May 2006
    I would have to say from riding at the tubs, it's a great place! I know there are guys like nepmtba, krazcustoms, bwillsey and others that post here do a lot to keep it open and fun as I have read in other posts! They work hard to keep atvs out also! They host rides for anyone to come and join so why the attack?

Everyone has their own way of riding and that's good. It's not how well you ride yet how much you ride and the friends you gain along the way! I don't get the personal attacts and judging one's ability to ride? epicbich you should explain this as you have announced yourself as either a person who just dug up a screen name to cause trouble or you are misguided in following the karma of riding and posting. I'm sure the guys who ride the tubs and other places would honor your great abilities and be glad you joined the fun with them.

My own riding ability is now midlevel yet from the first time I swung a leg over an mtb as a beginner I had loads of fun riding and learning from the other guys and girls and still do.

Nice pic Lee, is that a new rock ride? I don't see the kicker lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I took another spin at 7-tubs today. I went down over the guard-trail by the highway, winded around until I got to the tracks, rode along the tracks to a hundred yards or so, then turned left where the trai crossed the tracks. Found some ATV trails and tried to avoid the "posted" signs. Came across a camp site complete with a fire pit, BBQ grill, bean bag toss, and a home-made plywood dam across a small creek. Looked like hillbilly heaven!

I found my way back to the tracks, crossed over, and winded around in there a bit. Some of the stuff by the creek is crazy steep! Is that where the trail goes? I only did about 4 miles, until I ran out of time and options. What did I miss?

One more question. Maybe I was just hyper-alert, being alone in an unfamiliar place. But I noticed several old men sitting in their cars, or cruising around really slow, then parking, moving, parking again, sometimes near eachother. It was pretty creepy. Is this place known for any nefarious activity? The same cars were still drifting around the area after my ride.

mtbr member
    Well at least you started in the right place this time! However, I think you went off-track somewhat as I have never even seen the campsite you mentioned. And I don't think you even made it to the blue-blazed 'official' Tubs trail. I know of the super-steep spots that you saw and we don't ride them (although a select few have). Most of what we ride is difficult, but not THAT dangerous - although now that I'm thinking about it........

As for the creepy old guys - we used to run into them years ago until they hired a ranger and/or had the police patrol the parking lots regularly. Well it's been awhile since I saw any kind of ranger and/or a police car there and lately I've been noticing more 'suspicious' people around. They'll be keeping the gate locked soon due to the end of the season and all, so the creepy people sightings should be ending around then. If not, we'll just have to call the police and report any suspicious activity.

Send me a pm and we'll see if I can give you an official tour of the place. I'm free to ride this upcoming week during the day.

Mike

mtbr member
    NEPMTBA-I can't believe nobody gave you props for that pic. You're rocking that on rigid frame - bad assed. Was that an old pic or are you a masochist?
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Mike, thanks for the offer! I hope to join you sometime, but I don't know when I'll be up that way again. I'll post here when I get another opportunity.

The campsite was on the south side of the tracks, after following some wide ATV trails for a mile of so. There are a lot of trails back there. Some wide, some narrow. Some more overgrown than others. I left the campsite on overgrown singletrack, and eventually worked my way back to the tracks.

When I got back to the north side of the tracks, I think I kept getting sucked into the lower, northern side of the blue blazed trail, although I didn't see any blue blazes. I came across a long, steep, metal stairway, more like a ladder, going down toward the water. I knew I was on the wrong side of the creek, so I went back up and around, trying to find my way to the other side, but I kept ending up either at the tracks or the park road.

I didn't have a lot of time, and it was a fun ride, but I look forward to exploring there some more.

I'm glad I wasn't just imagining the strange activities there. At least I know I'm not paranoid. I got the sense I should just stick to myself that day, and not be my normal friendly self.

mtbr member
    If you look at the map elsewhere in this thread, you'll see that you just barely got to the blue trail but that's it. We actually used to carry our bikes down that metal ladder thing (there's a bridge to cross the water down in that gorge) but now we ride along the tracks to get to the other side instead so we don't have to get off of the bikes. I think you actually went out to the tracks too soon - I'm assuming when you got to a quad path you saw the tracks and went out when the singletrack continues across the quad path and spits you out about 30 feet above the metal ladder. Once all of the leaves fall, we'll be cleaning it up a bit which will make the intended route much more obvious. It can be very confusing due to the lack of signage/markings but until recently we weren't even sure if we were allowed to ride there (we are).

Mike

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by justriding
    NEPMTBA-I can't believe nobody gave you props for that pic. You're rocking that on rigid frame - bad assed. Was that an old pic or are you a masochist?
    JR:

Thanks...that was a month ago at Moon Lake in a section we call "She's Tight" on Edge of the Ledge trail. Yes, I have been on rigid for 2+ years now, only riding squish for a break once in a while! I think my eyes are closed!!!!! ...LOL!

Here's Loren riding the regular line on She's Tight.

Hey, come ride the mOOn with us sometime!