Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Nearest worth while trails traveling from Erie, PA

12K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  VWMTBScott 
#1 ·
Looking for any great riding experiences near the Erie, PA area. New to this part of the states and have not found much I can get excited about.

#2 ·
Kennerdell off interstate 80 and Moraine state park south of i-80

kennderdell is a combination of epic singletrack and fireroads with some long climbs from the allegheny river to the hill tops. everything you could possibly want in a trail system. 1 hours loops to 4 + hours epics. Get a map though b/c the trails arent marked that well and you need to know where they are at or be comfortable with getting lost.

Moraine is a mountain bike only trail system and is extremely technical XC. no real jumps or drops but good technical trails. figure on 2hours+ for the entire loop. It is 7 miles long or so but really rough from the Glacial deposit.

PM me if you cant find a map....i scanned a copy and should be able to get you some links.

As for erie....good luck Too flat for fun biking. Check with Emigs bike shop out of meadville b/c they have/had a nice set of trails at Racoon Lake (i think that was the name). outside of those trails there aint much north of 80 to ride till you hit clarion and the national forest. Emigs will do some trips to kennerdell this summer too. Stay hooked up with those guys and you will find what you need.

#3 ·
You could also check out Allegheny State Park to the east of Jamestown, NY. They have a nice network of well-marked trails that are also used by XC skiers in the winter. There's a race weekend there every June called Raccoon Rally promoted by WNYMBA.

You could also check with some local snowmobile clubs to see if they have any trail maps or recommendations. My grandparents live just outside of Cambridge Springs and I used to ride atv's on a super network of trails in the area, though most were on private farm property. The old railroad beds had lots of trails branching off of them.

#6 ·
Besides just being beautiful single-track at Holiday Valley there is one other thing I really like about the trails that I rode there.
Once you do the fairly easy climb up (maybe 600 vertical feet) you really don't lose any elevation till you decide to return. Miles and miles of flowy single-track with short ups and downs. Nice!

#15 ·
bfolla06 said:
what are the trails at asbury park like? I go to Mercyhurst, and have been looking for places to do some good riding. I usually go down to penn state bherand. there are a few good trails there in wintergreen gorge.
Short steep hill climbs, lots of tree roots. The trails on the Asbury property are short, but great to work on alot of skills. As I said above, you can pair up the ride on to the trails across Millfair Road and ride in to Fairview for more challenges.

#16 ·
Check out Art Roscoe XC ski and mountain bike trails

head out accross i-86 in NY about 1 1/2 hours till redhouse area exit. This will be part of the allegany state park in NY. Once you enter the park the trailhead is well marked by signage. Mostly fire roads, high speed xc a few sections of developed single track.
For some good freeride and trials style riding check out thunder rocks and the surrounding short trails. Big Loops possible on the cross country trails and two climbs exceeding three miles.:thumbsup:

#19 ·
bfolla06 said:
Last week, I made it out to Asbury Woods. The trails were mostly still snow covered, but still ridable. I think i also found the trails that you mentioned toward Millfair rd. I didn't have time to explore all the trails, so i am excited to head back down again soon.
Just be careful, the area across Millfair Road stays muddy for a long time.

#20 ·
I just got back from a two hour ride at asbury woods. there are still a few trails that i haven't taken to the end, but i was wondering... i saw an area where people had made a ladder bridge over a down tree and a small drop off... is it ok to use these? are there other places on the trails where people had made things?

also just an update on the condition... most of the snow is gone and the trails were quite dry once i got off the asbury woods trails.

#21 ·
bfolla06 said:
I just got back from a two hour ride at asbury woods. there are still a few trails that i haven't taken to the end, but i was wondering... i saw an area where people had made a ladder bridge over a down tree and a small drop off... is it ok to use these? are there other places on the trails where people had made things?

also just an update on the condition... most of the snow is gone and the trails were quite dry once i got off the asbury woods trails.
Hmm, the ladder bridge sounds new. There was a small bridge that crossed a small brook that was tuff to hit.......you would come down this very narrow short downhill and have to make a very sharp left turn to hit this bridge, definitely a home made bridge, but not a ladder type bridge.

I might be coming to Erie for the day a week from this Saturday, I'll let you know, whenever though, I'll show you all I know at Asbury sometime soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.