Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Nature Conservancy Land workday 11/18/07

To all:

Workday at the Nature Conservancy Land 11/18/07 10am located on RT.247 Jessup mountain.

All are invited to check out this new 1500 acres of land where Mt Bike trails are being developed.

Thanks

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Workday results

Very productive day:

We started off early and it was cold, about 15 degrees with the wind chill. Jenny Case of the Nature Conservancy Moosic Mountain Preserve held a little meeting to info us of her plans. She told us this area is the first in the state for them to work along with Mt biking clubs to build trails for all Mt bikers, hikers, hunters, and others to use. Lee Curry from North Eastern Pa Mountain Biking Association(NEPMTBA) became involved after meeting Ellen Lott of the Nature Conservancy at a Gravity Railroad Preservation meeting held at Sal Mecca's future Dunmore Historical Society and a second meeting at Hubbard.

Lee Curry, along with Rob Gregory, Gene Katapski and Greg Herzog from Hubbard Bicycle Club were to GPS the areas selected. Gene Katapski, also from Hubbard who along with his brother Pete built fantastic trails at Merli Sarnoski County Park located near Carbondale, Pa. Rob Gregory has designed and maintained the Hubbard Trails. Together we all have worked to maintain trials in Frances Slocum SP, Lackawanna SP working along side Joe Tierney and also at Prompton SP where Kevin Pender designed trails. Many other people who we owe a great deal to always help and maintain all of the trails I speak of. It is all the support that makes it all work.

The first trail Gene located to the right of the main road wound its way through Scrub Oak passing Giant Ant Mounds, and a Spring Bubbling with clear, clean water. From there Gene left us for(work real job) and we continued to the left of the main road. Rob led us on his pick. Amazing trail possibility also. It travels through very dense Scrub Oak. Greg began singing "Stuck in the middle with you" when out of nowhere we are upon huge paths of Granite Conglomerate Slabs broken apart by millions of years from ice and wear due to weather. Crossing a small stream we find ourselves in a dense tree area, but with larger oaks and other species. This is the third different section of terrain we experience yet one can get a peek across the valley to Hubbard, Cary, and Myers Mountains. What a View!

We turned right to GPS more area when we found the most amazing Gapped Rock Shelf popping out of the surrounding terrain that formed a Coliseum Type Circle. Of course Rob and Lee liking this kind of terrain were gasping for Air! Jenny just smiling at us! I know she can't wait to ride this with her 29er! (Sorry Rob) This area is one of those areas hikers will enjoy due to the elevated position it presents. It will be worth the hike or bike just to ride or see this area. It is very rugged and not an intermediate trail.

Rob and myself used GPS to locate the miles dirt roads located in the preserve. While we worked we were visited by the Pa Game Commission who were doing a patrol today. Nice to see them.

From here it is Jenny who will present all our work to the organization for further progress. This was only Saturday's work. We only scratched the surface of the area of land that is there today.

Thanks from all involved at Hubbard and NEPMTBA to Jenny Case and the NC (Moosic Mt Preserve) for the opportunity to develop Trails on their property.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

To all:

I received an email from Gary Mikulski:

Hey there Lee,

How did the trail work go at the new place??? Next time you are heading one there I will be in attendance. I am interested in helping out there.

Gary bring Leah and Joe with you if you like. Thanks for the email and it's great to have you on the team for the next workday! To all who never met Gary. He is a member of the Bloomsburg University Mt Bike Race team, NEPMTBA and the DCNR Frances Slocum Volunteer Trail Crew.

Our list is growing and that's a really great thing as we have the opportunity to make the partnership between the Nature Conservancy Moosic Mountain Preserve, Hubbard Bicycle Club, and NEPMTBA a model for successful trails for all to enjoy!

Anyone wishing to be on the email list to receive all updates as well as workday announcements you can email us at: http://www.nepmtba@yahoo.com

mtbr member
    Well now...looks like I can't use the old "Broken Rib, busted kidney" excuse and best get my butt out of my chair here.

Looks great Lee and from what you have told me today sounds like a real great plan and can't wait to ge up there!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Kevin:

Thanks... I will add you to the list!

There are none of your favorite "Logovers or Stumps" to jump out and bite you!like at Frances Slocum. Very different Terrain at NC/Moosic Mt. Preserve.

Is your hip all healed?

LC

mtbr member
    Ahh really..no stumps? Can I bring my own to crash into and fall on top of?

The Hip/Ribs(2)/Kidney..and of course my pride has healed nicely. Thanks for asking!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

I received an email from Chris Stine the founder of our group:

Lee:

As soon as Cyclo-X season ends in a few weeks I will be helping with the Nature Conservancy Land/Moosic Mountain Preserve. I am excited to try out all the new things I learned at the Trail Workshop we went to last month!

I look forward to working with everyone.
    Thanks and pass this on
    Chris Stine
    Founder NEPMTBA

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Very different Terrain at NC/Moosic Mt. Preserve.
    Lee

You sure got that right. After our exploration hike on Saturday, the preserve is nothing like anything else in the area. And it's pretty safe to say that once all the trails get built, there'll be a little something for everyone. Can't wait to get started...
    Greg
    I may be late to the game and won't finish first, but I'll still be smilin'

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! One more added......

I received an email from Dave Scott asking to be added to the list of friends who want to make a difference by helping with the Nature Conservancy/Moosic Mountain Preserve.

Thanks Dave!

mtbr member
    Gene Katapski and me went up on Sunday and found even more cool terrain on the back side of the MMC I think just trekking around we have over 9 miles. Once we take the steps to laying it out, I think we'll have well over 15 miles of trails. The majority of what we found is stone. This will be the main terrain type of the land. It offers sure grip in the dry or wet. Here's some of the different features we have.

Stone slabs- I think it's granite, but some call it "God stone"
    Pitch pine trees- They only grow about 10-15' high. They grow in between the slabs and are spontaneous.
    Blueberry bushes- These are all over the place and turn into an awesome crimson red in the fall and highlite the mountain.
    Trail flow- The mountain is steadily "slanted" but offers no big hills to climb. This will offer great water management.
    Wetlands- There's only one section we were told to stay off of and it's a wetlands area. Relativley small and the cool part will be one of our trail highlites: A 20' high cliff overlook onto it. The cliff has some big gaps in between that will be filled in and linked together on our trail work days.
    Hardwoods- A section off the back has some cool Maples that are 50-70' tall with little or no low-growth trees or brush underneath. This section will be fast and windy, but will be built to keep flow in mind.
    Natural wells- There's a couple areas where well heads are visible. These are the start of some of the streams that flow through the land.

Anyway, there's an update from me. ttyl, Fahn