Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Nature Conservancy Land Moosic Mountain Jessup Pa.

To all:

We(NEPMTBA) have been asked to help develop Trails in the Nature Conservancy property comprising 1500 Acres off Rt. 247 near Jessup, Pa. This has come about due to our good friends at Hubbard Bicycle Club founded by John Graboski and his family. John invited and recommended NEPMTBA to attend the meeting with the Nature Conservancy he held at Hubbard.
    Chris Stine & Myself Met with Ellen Lott(project manager) and Jennifer Case(land steward) from the Nature Conservancy. After a great ride on Hubbard mountain we had a fantastic dinner and got to talk about plans for designing, maintaining, and most important Riding trails in this vast new area. Everyone in their group have Excellent Riding Skills as the Hubbard rain soaked trails gave all they have to offer... Nice Ride!
    Back to business... We are heading up this weekend to the NC lands to evaluate and form a trail building plan. This a major development for NEPMTBA as it our first Major task since we Formed to maintain the Trails at Frances Slocum State Park.
    As we look forward we are lucky to have Great friends and Fellow trail builders in the Hubbard Bicycle Club. Members of Hubbard Maintain trails at Hubbard, Lackawanna State Park, Merli-Sarnoski County Park and Prompton State Park. We are honored to be in such Great company and share time with the many highly skilled trail builders from Hubbard with this new task.
    Thank You to the members of the Nature Conservancy for this opportunity and looking forward to working with you to build and maintain the finest trails in a new area.
    Thank You to John Graboski and Members of Hubbard Bicycle Club for inviting us on this exciting venture.

NEPMTBA... Apply Directly to the Trails...

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Links

To all: Here are the Links:

http://www.nepmtba.piczo.com

http://www.hubbardbicycleclub.com

nature.org

Please feel free to email...all contacts can be found on websites

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I was up there for the meeting and ride Thursday and came away as exicted as everyone else. This'll be the closest set of trails to my backyard, so I'm looking forward to pitching in some time to help get them up and running.
    Greg
    I may be late to the game and won't finish first, but I'll still be smilin'

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Update!!!!!!!!!

Well, after much work on all parties we have NEW trails on the GROUND!

Thanks to all who helped make this happen. As of now we have 2 trails each a mile long in two different locations on the property. Both trails are quite different! Trail loop One is a maze of ROCKS(similar to American Standard at Jim Thorpe) Ride it Clean if you can, Trail Two is the beginning of the perimeter loop which will be 15 miles long when finished and is Super Tight Single track through SCRUB and other types of terrain... We will have 20 miles by this September.

This is a very successful co-operative effort on all parties with many trails all ready laid out. Workdays through June are Wednesday nights at 6 pm and the next weekend workday is on May 17th, and all are invited anytime! Come join the fun, work a bit, meet great people, bring your bike for the after ride and help develop a new area in PA!

See ya on the "NEW" trails

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Lee

It was definately cool to be up there and see things start to take shape. The achy back kept me from riding the new trails Saturday, but I'll be up sometime this weekend.

I agree 100%... great collaboration from all the groups and people to build trails that will offer something for everyone.

Not sure if I can make a Wednesday, but I'll be there on the 17th.
    Greg

mtbr member
    I've yet to have any time to post. Lee, I'll be up there tomorrow for only a couple minutes. My DH frame is finally getting painted, decaled and cleared. I changed the one part of the interior to keep the flow going. The 90* left is now gone. The section is only 50' or so but keeps it fast.

I know I was sating to keep it narrow (18") and the interior loop isn't that at all. I think it's closer to 2.5-3 feet of clearing... But I think that's good. The reason is you're not getting scratched and It lets the rider find the better line. In other words- If we keep it 12", the rider has to ride every little turn as per the brush hogs path. Too tight and it can lose the fun. Too wide and you get multiple tracks. I think wide on the turns is key to letting the riders "pack" the trails best lines. What do you think?

I don't really have enough time to go into all the details but I'd like to thank all 30 +/- 1 or 2 people that showed up! We had
    -Jenny from The Nature Conservancy (TNC).
    -NEPMTBA- Lee, post the people that came up with you as I can't remember everyone! I do remember Gary though.
    -Volounteers of the local NC (including Greg^)
    -Hubbard Bike Club- I counted 14-16 from Hubbard. But I'm not too sure if there were more.
    -Mountain Top- JeffSkisMontana and his crew drove about 40(?) minutes to get here and help... Jeff, post some names please.

I have some pics I'll post later.

Ttyl, Fahn

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by NEPA_Biker1958
    Lee

It was definately cool to be up there and see things start to take shape. The achy back kept me from riding the new trails Saturday, but I'll be up sometime this weekend.

I agree 100%... great collaboration from all the groups and people to build trails that will offer something for everyone.

Not sure if I can make a Wednesday, but I'll be there on the 17th.
    Greg:

Yes, you were there in the beginning and you know how much it took to get it to that stage! Lot's of hard work and planning! We are so glad Jenny asked NEPMTBA to help with the project! Jenny (Nature Conservancy) Larry (Hubbard) and NEPMTBA did the planning, then when it time to actually do the work.

It's always the same "CRY BABIES" going back and forth with emails looking for excuses "NOT" to help, but they found out, crying doesn't get the work done "WORKING" does! No one needs people like that, and at a meeting with DCNR tonight already the word has spread about them. With that attitude they won't be asked in other places to help!

It turned out great though, I hope you and Ed get to ride it really soon! Bring your gear as it's very challenging and fun. Isn't that what it's all about! FUN! I hope this summer we can hook up and ride more places together.

Thanks

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Larry:

I feel as you do sometimes you have to fit the trail to the terrain. And like a Bad Haircut don't worry it will grow back if needed! I know from working with you in the past you think of flow and that's a good thing! Just have to weed things out!

Trail 1 loop is way different than trail 2 so there will be fine tuning and different lines as we go forward on all trails throughout the seasons as we will find wet spots, water flow, and springs to deal with!

I can't refine the point enough though that co-operation among everyone has afforded us a great place and opportunity for all to enjoy. It is a pleasure to work with you and I would like to personally thank you for going out of your way in one situation to keep the positive light shining on our goals at MMP...

Don't worry about tomorrow. I will post tomorrow on the progress at the MMP
    Good luck with your frame and paint job!

We work, we ride, we repair...

Big Up... Chump
    May 2006

Good job!

Lee

So glad to see all the work being done at Jessup. My job is different this year so I will be able to do more riding and working on trails. After our meeting you can see there are many places looking for the oportunity to have nice people come and build trails for all to use.

Got my new bike and I can't wait to ride it! thanks for yor help on that one! Hope to see you soon...

mtbr member

Good job! WoW...what a great situation up at Moosic Mtn..

Rob, Lee, Gene, Chris, Jenny (and those other founders of this project who I do not know): You have put together a very high quality project, kudos to all of you. Thanks for letting us be a small part of the birth of this new sanctioned riding area. Really enjoyed the great organization and teamwork from all who did the pre-work to ensure we had a successful day this past Sunday. Brian W, Mike K, and I represented the Mtn Top crew. We will be back to help out some more. Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Nice work.

A big thank you to all those involved.

When will maps be available?

mtbr member
    I'm not too sure about the maps. I think that's up to TNC. We have so much more to do that if we made one right now, it would be out of date within a week or so.

I'll be up Sunday to continue the second loop. I'm going to try to be ther by 9 again and continue until at least 4.

I'll give you guys a description of the trails so far-

The Upper Perimiter trail is started. If you go in bast the gate you'll see bule ribbons on the right. It has about 50-75 feet of rockwork done by Nepmtba. This section is pretty wild. It starts off flat and then starts to go uphill to your left. The trail meanders along some rock slabs and a small stepup. It's a gradual uphill. Not steep, but just enough to make you keep at a constant grind. Middle ring the entire way! There's some cool spots that have natural springs and such. For right now it ends on one of the dirt roads. After TNC does their controlled burn we'll continue this trail all around the perimeter to connect to the lower section of trail that Gene Katapski is working on now.

The Lower Perimiter Trail- Gene and his crew worked on this one last Sunday. It starts off from the lower gate and goes to the left of the dirt road. Go through the water basin and you'll see the intro. It follows the creek for a little and then crosses over. (Joe Mazz Jr. endo'd into the water here ) The trail has a lot of tombstones and rocks. Some of the stonework here is amazing. You ride up a slab (Flagstone)and roll onto some huge, smooth rocks that the guys positioned. Roll down the rocks that they placed and you'll be on a ledge about 2 feet wide that they cleared off. To the left is stone, to the right is a 2-3 ledge. It cuts up to the left and continues on the ledge for 30-50 feet. This trail will go to the dam eventually. Actually, it will pass the dam and continue all the way around to the one that Nepmtba was working on.

The Inside Loop- This trail is about 1 mile long. From the gate go out the dirt road to the crossing and make a left. Cross the stream and look to the right. You'll see a boulder there. That's the intro. It starts off tight but flowy. You come out to a rock slab sometimes refered to as "Godstone" and it's covered with blueberry bushes and some other species of low growth. It has a "Moonscape" look to it. There's spontaneous rocks on top of the slabs. The stone is white and rough. There's excelent traction on this stone even in the rain. As you continue out each slab is spaced out with low growth inbetween. I think there's a total of 8 different ones. In the fall the low growth turns into a Crimson Red color with a view across the valley to Hubbard Mtn. and the North end of the valley. The trail has the option of turning to the left and completing the loop or continuing out to the second loop. I still need to finish marking the second loop. Once you make the left you'll enter some fast and flowy sections with wide turns and minimal climbing! This trail has some major stonework done as well, but spread out over the entire trail.

The landscape is mainly low growth on the inside and typical NEPA conditions on the lower/middle. It's exposed in some areas and covered in others. The view is awesome as you can see from West Mtn all the way to Fell Mtn. (aka Merli-Sarnoski). The species of trees and growth in general is very unique to the 1,500 acres of land we now call our playground. The temps up here are generally 5-10 degrees cooler than the valley. There's usually a nice breeze too.

Once again we'd all like to sincerely thank The Nature Conservancy: Jenny, Molly, Ellen, Pat, and the many others, for giving Hubbard and Nepmtba the oppourtunity to work together.

Well, That's it so far, Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    To get here-

Take 81 or 380 to The Casey Highway (Rt.6) (Not buisness Rt.6 though)
    Get off at EXIT 1 (Marshwood Rd)
    Turn Left and go up the hill 2.5-2.75 miles and the parking lot is on your Left.

mtbr member

Working Mtn Top this sunday....

so we won't be out. Will use this thread to look for future work days. Like your new by line....32 inch wheels............lol.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Guys Don't worry TEAM Rigid "STEEL" 26 SS will appear to conquer that stuff!

[SIZE=3]No:
    [/SIZE]

DERAILERS
    FRONT OR REAR SQUISH
    DISC BRAKES

Trails so "TOUGH" you'll "NEED" 13 inches of travel, 30 speeds, and 203 mm disc rotors!

Naw scratch all that I'm bringing a 20 inch BMX bike........................

[SIZE=3]God if we keep this up people will really think the trails are tough... LOL!

Great work and fun for all!
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 05-11-2008 at 05:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jeff and anyone else interested in coming out THIS coming SATURDAY MAY, 17 will be our next work day. We'll meet in the parking lot at 9am. ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Also, we are working every Wednesday night. I'll be there at 3:45-4:00 and Lee will show up around 6. If you're interested, meet at the gate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Rode the trails yesterday morning, Tues. the 13th, you guys are rocking my world, great trails so far!!! keep up the GREAT work!!!
    I'll try and get up and help you guys out, stupid work.

I'll definitely remember the sun block next time,really has its own unique vibe up there, hard to compare to anything else.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Great workday on Wednesday!

The Blueberry trail had a few revisions to gain more flow and open a few turns. Rob & Ed shimmed up some low spots, while Gary & I did more low brush trimming and raking.

Gary & I rode both trails and they are really cool. The Blueberry trail is good for beginner or hiking. The first loop trail has many rocks to climb over and around. It keeps you thinking all the time.

Anyone wishing to ride them park at the gate travel up the big wide dirt road about 100 feet and look right for blue ribbons. You start over a small rock culvert then right along the ridge that doubles back on the big road. It's about a mile long. This is Blueberry trail!

Trail loop one. start at the gate travel up the big dirt road about 500 feet. Turn left onto another dirt road. Downhill to a water crossing. Cross the steam, look right for a huge rock. Cross a rock bridge to the trail marked with pink or orange ribbons. In about 50 feet you will come to a split. You can ride it either way as you will return to this spot since your doing a loop again about a mile in length.

mtbr member
    FWIW, Eddy and myself laid down some rocks at the end of the "Roman road". This got rid of the big potholes and linked all the rockwork together. Also, there was an area of quicksand-like soil that we gathered rocks for and filled in. It was weird cause while we laid out the trail, the lower section was retaining a lot of water. We built the trail on the higher up ground and now that's where this weird substance was. You'd ride through it and your rim would get burried. But when you looked back it seemed like solid ground. Yet your rim was covered in mud!
    The outer loop that Lee and Gary were working on is going to rip coming down!

Lee, is that section offically done?

ttyl, Fahn
    Last edited by LarryFahn; 05-16-2008 at 07:07 PM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Larry:

I hope you didn't have to move all those rocks! Gary and I rode it the other day and it was fine, due to the days of rain it would only be like that in the case of that much rain and I doubt anyone would be riding or hiking in that weather.

We did mark the loop one trail better as at one point you just get lost. We lined rocks in the direction of travel. There are a few places like that. We both cleaned the entire trail with no dabs! Kinda reminds me of the 7 Tubs trail. It needs more rock markers.

The Blueberry trail is good till just about the end where I need a decision as to where the property line is so I can run it out and across the road. I could just run it out where it's marked and later we can reroute to a higher place and brush in the old trail.

Ride Ride Ride

mtbr member
    Today there was 6-7 of us from Hubbard and 3 from TNC. We parked at the Jessup industrial park and drove down by the dam. We started from the dam and worked our way up to connect the trail that was started 2 weeks ago. They're now offically connected and turned into one. Gene did the rough cut and Jenny and me went behind and did the low cutting. Pete and Eddy were raking along and cleaning up. The trail will need to be benched. Some parts are off camber quite a bit, but rideable for now.

The part past O'Conners dam is UFB! You go around the lake following some stonework for the dam. It's all covered under the trees. The one section as soon as you go in needed work. Dave and myself laid rocks below and benched some dirt from above down and made it ridable. This section is prolly 25 feet long. You continue through a section that reminds us of Squeese Play. 2-3 foot ledges on the left and smooth and flowy singletrack. as you come near the end of the lake you bear left and ride up to these cliffs that are 15-20 feet high with a creek flowing below. Nice, flat and fast ST in this entire section! You come out to this "Island" of stone (some call it God stone) You start to circle around it and to your left is a bog area. It looks like land until you see the cracks inbetween the bogs are all water. This section circles around and comes back out on ST. You have a 50' climb and start to trickle down through some stone slabs (like the inside loop). From there the trail continues out about another 1/4 mile. We didn't get to the powerlines today, but I think we're really close.

I'm prolly going to continue marking the second loop this week. There's some sections on the second that can use some stonework. Fortunatley, there's a lot of rocks in these areas. See you guys Wednesnight if it's not raining.

Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    May 2008
    good to hear....this is right in my backyard. thanks for the updates

mtbr member
    Last night I went up and did some skimming with the brush hog. I got rid of a lot of the derailleur snaggers (low growth). It's still kept tight and all ST, just angled the hog to cut anything to the right of the bike when going uphill. It looks amazing up there right now! Jeff and myself are going to ride up there tonight. I'll report back with a review and list (if anything) needs to/should be done.

Fahn

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Larry

What's the best way to get to the lower trail section from the upper parking lot? I'm gonna try and get up there tomorrow and hit all the trails.

When's the next weekend work day scheduled?

Thanks...
    Greg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast