AKA jbev88

Smile My "rant" about being a newer rider..

While riding myself was fun, I always wanted to get with a group of people and extend out to other riders and build a little "network" of people to ride with. I tried (and failed) with a group I met at a bike tour. I will say though, once you find that right group of riders .... it just makes the riding that much more fun!!! Just makes me want to be that much more patient and willing to help those "new" guys like I was (and still am). Props to all those experienced riders out there who take the time out to help people learn the sport that we all love!!!!!!

mtbr member

My "rant" about being a newer rider..

That's a relatively positive "rant"! Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Welcome to mtbr.com...
    ...and finding others who ride and make ya feel good!

Enjoy!

AKA jbev88
    Those that welcome others should know that it helps them a lot!!!

I've been a member for a bit- jbev88... forgot all my stuff under that name haha.

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, finding people to ride with make sit more fun, hard to laugh at yourself when you fall Also a bit safer since if you or anyone else does fall or get hurt you know there's people there to help, can help give you that extra bit of confidence to try stuff you wouldn't maybe try solo. As to seasoned riders letting n00bs into group rides and encouraging and helping them, that's something every experienced rider should do and I do, when it gets annoying is those guys who don't put in the effort to get any fitter/faster or dare to try to improve/push their boundaries.

I started off a Sunday afternoon ride in 2011 to help encourage new riders into the sport, I got quite a few in, but most just didn't get that you need to ride more than once a week to gain fitness. 2012 rolled around and some new guys joined in and they understood the need for at least one mid week ride and they gave the effort, now just over a year later for the first guy he's lost 60lbs+ and between he and the other four guys they've lost about 170-180lbs and are way fitter, which now makes rides fun and not agonizing because speeds and terrain are now up, very glad I did it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

AKA jbev88
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Yeah, finding people to ride with make sit more fun, hard to laugh at yourself when you fall Also a bit safer since if you or anyone else does fall or get hurt you know there's people there to help, can help give you that extra bit of confidence to try stuff you wouldn't maybe try solo. As to seasoned riders letting n00bs into group rides and encouraging and helping them, that's something every experienced rider should do and I do, when it gets annoying is those guys who don't put in the effort to get any fitter/faster or dare to try to improve/push their boundaries.

I started off a Sunday afternoon ride in 2011 to help encourage new riders into the sport, I got quite a few in, but most just didn't get that you need to ride more than once a week to gain fitness. 2012 rolled around and some new guys joined in and they understood the need for at least one mid week ride and they gave the effort, now just over a year later for the first guy he's lost 60lbs+ and between he and the other four guys they've lost about 170-180lbs and are way fitter, which now makes rides fun and not agonizing because speeds and terrain are now up, very glad I did it.
    You nailed it!!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Not to harken back to another era...
    ...but when I started mt biking, lets just say 1980s, (cough cough)yes I'm not a spring chicken.

Now remember this was pre: Internet, Facebook, and email you would see another rider on a trail and I don't mean a pre-fashioned mt biking trail, rather a path made be a jeep, ATV, or Moto, you would be thrilled and ask a million questions as to his living location, where, when, and how often he rides as well as if he knew of any other cool trails, hoping to get an invite or phone number.

Friends were always made on the trail or the LBS, one thrill for me was to attend as many mt bike races as possible knowing that after the race your windshield would be cluttered with flyers for more races and great trails, some of which you could go ride after the race on other weekend!

So boys and girls it wasn't always easy to show up at a place where many meet and ride, so lucky we are to have many trails and lots of friends now a days!

Many of which I met on trail somewhere!
    Keep it roll'in!

AKA jbev88
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    ...but when I started mt biking, lets just say 1980s, (cough cough)yes I'm not a spring chicken.

Now remember this was pre: Internet, Facebook, and email you would see another rider on a trail and I don't mean a pre-fashioned mt biking trail, rather a path made be a jeep, ATV, or Moto, you would be thrilled and ask a million questions as to his living location, where, when, and how often he rides as well as if he knew of any other cool trails, hoping to get an invite or phone number.

Friends were always made on the trail or the LBS, one thrill for me was to attend as many mt bike races as possible knowing that after the race your windshield would be cluttered with flyers for more races and great trails, some of which you could go ride after the race on other weekend!

So boys and girls it wasn't always easy to show up at a place where many meet and ride, so lucky we are to have many trails and lots of friends now a days!

Keep it roll'in!
    I like this. I feel like the "community" has changed over the years, or so it seems from reading stories. That much more rewarding when you find a group of accommodating and those willing to teach.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

I think it's good to watch all riders... ...as we never stop learning. My long time friend said it best, you have to become one with the bike so it acts like an extension of your body rather than a machine under you!

AKA jbev88
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post

Keep it roll'in!