Gravity's Gone

My First Time @ Swatara......

Naner & I made a Saturday morning trek down to Swatara S.P. It was my first time riding this trail system and I must say the trails are a lot of fun. If you like fast & flowy this is the place to be. Kinda reminds me of a mini Raystown.

My First Time @ Swatara......-010.jpg

My First Time @ Swatara......-011.jpg

My First Time @ Swatara......-014.jpg

My First Time @ Swatara......-017.jpg

My First Time @ Swatara......-021.jpg

My First Time @ Swatara......-sany0140.jpg

My First Time @ Swatara......-sany0152.jpg

My First Time @ Swatara......-sany0153.jpg

My First Time @ Swatara......-sany0154.jpg

My First Time @ Swatara......-sany0172.jpg

Gravity's Gone
    My First Time @ Swatara......-sany0187.jpg

My First Time @ Swatara......-sany0203.jpg

My First Time @ Swatara......-sany0212.jpg

Chilling out
    agreed.

mtbr member

Super Swatara!

...Think i have been there 3 or 4 times now....always like the change of pace from the rocks we usually ride.....the fall sequence of naner came out good....hope there was no lasting damage....nanker are you ridin' a 29 er? Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Gravity's Gone
    Yea Jeff I was rockin Naner's peace 9er. A big shout out to him for loaning me bikes the last few rides while I was too lazy to fix any of mine.

mtbr member
    Im thinking about checking this place out tomorrow for the first time. It will probably be a 90 mi drive from
    W-B. It sounds like it might be worth the drive.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn333 View Post
    Im thinking about checking this place out tomorrow for the first time. It will probably be a 90 mi drive from
    It's easy to get there for sure (I live in Kingston).

If for some reason you don't feel satisfied then "bounce" and do it all the other direction.

Don't think you'll need to though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn333 View Post
    It's ripping fast. As far as gauging whether it's worth a 90m drive, I've ridden everything in roughly 1hr10m, but that's not to say you can't go out for a second loop, or as Bear said, ride it backwards.

Nank, nice pics, you had the perfect bike for the job today. Naner, nice dab on the skinny.

mtbr member
    Im getting mixed directions to get here online, what are some easy directions, I know you take 81, Im coming from W-B.

Chilling out
    Shawn, me and the Mrs went out Sat we dropped of i81 at exit 100, turned right onto 443, and took 443 (approx 7.2 miles) from the off ramp to State Park Lane (now a left turn onto State Park Lane). Piece of cake. It's what our GPS told us was the shortest path from WB. Seems silly to go south of the park just to come back north.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info....

mtbr member
    I had a chance to ride this sysytem this past weekend in the fog and mist,It was awesome and worth the 1 hr drive for me.I cant wait to come back and ride it when its cool and dry,I highly recomend it

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

How 'bout a trail map?

I've been thinking about going to Swatara for awhile. This weekend may be the time. About how long should it take to get there from Lancaster? Where can I find a trail map? Are the trails fairly well-marked? There is nothing worse than going to a new place and not finding the "good" trails.

Thanks in advance for the help.

mtbr member
    You can find maps on SAMBA's website. The trails are very well marked. We rode the trails by making right turns at all the intersections which makes a large loop. Very fun place to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lampeterbiker View Post
    i've been thinking about going to swatara for awhile. This weekend may be the time. About how long should it take to get there from lancaster?
    depends on route and how you drive. I think about 40-50 minutes if you don't get lost or stopped for speeding.

there is nothing worse than going to a new place and not finding the "good" trails.
    i think you will find the trip worth the time. Stop in lickdale for snacks.

thanks in advance for the help.

g.t.

Quote Originally Posted by lampeterbiker View Post
    I've been thinking about going to Swatara for awhile. This weekend may be the time. About how long should it take to get there from Lancaster? Where can I find a trail map? Are the trails fairly well-marked? There is nothing worse than going to a new place and not finding the "good" trails.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    You don't even need a map. It's one of the most intuitive trail systems I've ever ridden. Either go CW and make all lefts or CCW and make all rights. There is a map posted at the kiosk at the trailhead though.

The first time I was there, I actually had the most trouble finding the trailhead. State Park Lane is easy to miss.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    There are maps to take at the kiosk.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    As already stated the trails are well marked, the best I've experienced of the trials I've ridden in the area. And as far I've seen there are no unmarked trails or trails not on the map.

You'll want to use the bottom map.
    Swatara Park Maps
    2011 Dawes Deadeye | 2011 Niner EMD9 | 2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy AL| 2016 Raleigh Merit 3| 2017 Salsa Timberjack 27.5+ GX

mtbr member
    If you wanted to make the ride even longer .. there is also a rail trail system there .. could ride both sets of trails and really make it a nice long day of riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Had a great day

My son and I finally made it to Swatara. It took about 1 hr 15 min. to get there from Lancaster. We found the parking lot no problem. Another rider in the parking lot gave us some recommendations on the travel direction, and off we went. We rode the trail in the CCW direction, and it was really intuitive. The trails were really well-marked - we were never confused about which trail we were on.

The trails were fast and flowy, with no major climbs. Whoever called this place a "mini Raystown" was dead on. I never had to use the granny ring. We had a ton of fun. I will definitely go back there 3 - 4 times a year. I think I would get a little bored if that was my main riding spot.

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. I'm looking forward to returning there in the fall.