mtbr member
    May 2008

My epic mountain bike vacation to PA to recreate the BIKE article

Even though this trip happened around 1 month ago I still wanted to share my experience.

I work in the stressful American automotive and have not had many days off in the past two years. On a flight home I pick up the new Sept-Oct issue in the airport, put it into my bag and board my plane. On the flight home I start reading though the "Why the East Coast Rocks!" articles and what to I see but an article about Bethleham, PA. Im in shock! I grew up in the town of Stroudsburg not more than 20 miles from the article and remember vividly going though Bethleham and seeing the very star in the opening page of the article lit up at night on top the mountain.

It was at that point I began to justify to myself a trip to head back to PA to go riding.
    Excuses:
    1. I have not had a vacation in 3 or so years
    2. I have not visited my parents or family that live in the area since Christmas
    3. I will have free hotel charges staying at my parents and mom's home cooking
    4. Im between projects and can take two weeks off

Decision: Its on East coast Mountain biking in the fall!!

I had not been on a mountain trail since I was 14 and working at Vitulli's Cycle Fit in East Stroudsburg. The first place I headed when I got home was to Glen Park in Stroudsburg. This was the first trail network I ever road and the best part was it was 1.2 miles from my parents house. So the first two days I aquatinted myself with my old passion and practice riding mountain terrain that was unfamiliar to me in Indiana, mainly mountains and rocks.

Some pictures from Glen Park

Climbs - these for foreign to me.....

.....and tricky down hills everywhere

Some rutted areas were larger than my bike

Never the less I was happy on the top of the mountain, and tired from the climbing

Next it was decided I must replicate the opening shot of the BIKE article. It just so happened that my father was heading to Bethleham in order to get some tools boxes on his new truck so I convinced him to let me ride with him and I will go ride to the star while he waits for his truck.

Not more than 1 mile from the shop I notice a site I recognized from the BIKE article, and it was not the star. Instead it was Action Wheels. If anyone knew where the good stuff was to ride in the area i figured it was these guys, and I was underestimated to say the least. In the shop I met John who gave me all the information, maps and advice I could handle and gave me the heads up to go to Salsbury Park instead.

Inside the shop

John and myself from Action Wheels

After all the great advice I headed to Salsbury park and was fortunate enough to meet up with Mike and Dale who allowed me to tag along with them. An amazing ride and I can say I rode the cover shot of BIKE!

The bikes resting (none of the humans were tired )

Dale and I were excited for the ride

After the Salsbury ride it was time to tackle the star. After lots of climbing I arrived, and made it.

The next few days I visited some relatives and caught up with old friends. Also got a chance to ride Neversink Mountain in Reading, PA (but no pictures, forgot the camera) and also some trails in Lancaster.

My father decided to go 4-wheeling with his new truck so we decided to head to our family cabin in Pike County, PA. Some nice easy fire roads and some bridges to ride, including some suspension bridges. The best part is my dad took some pictures for me.

The last day of riding was some of the best scenery but probably one of the dumbest moves I have made in a while while riding. I decided to ride Big Pocono in Tannersville, PA. The day stared out beautiful, perfect weather loaded pack and a great rain the day before to pack down the trail and provide some mud to make everything fun.

After 6 hours and 30 some miles of riding I looked on the map only to realize that I should start heading back to the car. Its about 6:00 and I have about an hour. But i got caught up in riding what looked fun and forgot where I was. I could not find where I was on the map either! UH OH!! The only saving grace was far off in the distance I could hear the jake brakes of big rigs and a highway so knowing I would not make it back to the car in time I decided to head to the highway and call for a support vehicle to come pick me up. On the way out I found a beautiful lake not more than 1000 feet off the highway but was not visible from the road.

The most welcome site of the day!

It was probably the dumbest thing I have ever done riding on the side of the highway at dusk with trucks zipping by me at 70mph not 10 feet from me but I had to get to the rest stop and wait for a ride back to my car. Luckily they arrived shortly after I called and I made it home safe.

I will be making this a yearly fall trip to ride the best of the east. I hope you enjoyed the pictures and share the passion of riding with me.
    Last edited by MemphisR32; 10-28-2008 at 02:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Great story and pics - thanks for sharing! I've been to Glen Park and Big Pocono a few years ago but recognize some of the pics from those places.

Fossil

Thanks

Nice write-up, great pix... makes me wanna get out of the office and ride...
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    That was a great thread

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Those trails are looking a lot different today with snow on the ground. Think I'll get the snowboard out tonight and start waxing.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinsj
    Those trails are looking a lot different today with snow on the ground. Think I'll get the snowboard out tonight and start waxing.
    I got a call from my mother today, she said there was 4 inches in her back yard. Thats crazy! Time to mount up some studded snow tires PA folks.

The thing I found most interesting about PA was that everywhere I went I brought the bike and clothing with me because I could be anywhere and a trail would pop up. It made for some fun 5 mile or so quick rides.

mtbr member

Hey...great story and pics.......

Appreciate you sharing the story and pics. I too have been to a couple of those places and recognize some of the spots in the pictures. ( Actually, KrazCustoms and crew showed me Glen Park) So I am wondering from your screen name if you own a R32? and if you work in Princeton Indiana at Toyota? Some good riding just south of there in Kentucky(Land between the Lakes) as well as East of there in Hoosier National Forest, oh yeah and SouthWest of there in Southern Illinois, Shawnee National Forest.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana
    Appreciate you sharing the story and pics. I too have been to a couple of those places and recognize some of the spots in the pictures. ( Actually, KrazCustoms and crew showed me Glen Park) So I am wondering from your screen name if you own a R32? and if you work in Princeton Indiana at Toyota? Some good riding just south of there in Kentucky(Land between the Lakes) as well as East of there in Hoosier National Forest, oh yeah and SouthWest of there in Southern Illinois, Shawnee National Forest.

Yes I do own a R32 perfect Mt Bike transporter. I don't work at Toyota though but I know the person who you are talking about, I believe he has sold the car and moved on to something else though.