Thread: My crash today

mtbr member

My crash today

I was excited at the fact it was only 11:30 am and I was done with work for the day.
    Because it had been raining all morning, I used the excuse “the dog needs exercise”
    and I told my wife I was going riding! After putting on the Northface Rain gear we headed out to the trailhead.
    Because it was wet, I decided to ride somewhere that was not a popular riding location, someplace that could use a fresh set of tracks laid down on it.
    We parked the car and and the dog could hardly stand to wait another second...we we here.

This ride, unlike many others starts off with a downhill. Now this was not my first time at the rodeo so I knew conditions were wet and things were going to be slippery. We took off and barreled down, swooping turns awaited us and within minutes I was soaked and enjoying it!

I grabbed some brakes and they let out a "honk" I needed to slow down to make the upcoming turn and the honking brakes yelled up “you’re going to take this turn wide” and as I’m now off line taking a wide turn I see it...a wet log on a diagonal, only about four inches in diameter. Now you don’t need madam Curay to tell you
    what happens next..Like a $25.00 hooker I went down fast, I hit the ground so fast I was still holding the brake and clipped in.
    Sh*t..Sh%t couldn’t believe it. In a land ripe with Rocks I managed to fall where there were none.
    Got up assessed my injuries and debated do I just go back to the car, but decided against it, Archer (the dog) and I rode on enjoying the rest of the ride at a much slower pace.

I went home, took a hot shower and had a cold beer. Man I cant wait till tomorrow.
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    LOL - awesome.

I guess I need more gear to enjoy rain riding, at the moment I'm a rain-pansy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ^ Any kind of inclimate weather pansy!
    "yea that's right, I stand up to shift"

mtbr member
    Rain, Rocks and Beer, sounds good to me

Wizard of the Trail
    I love riding quad trails when it's really wet with the fatbike. It's just fun going through massive puddles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I think that one day I'm going to have to build up a fat bike. Alu or Ti frame/fork, Alfine or Rohloff rear hub for the nice simple drivetrain.

Gotta win that lottery first though.

Did you ever have ham?

My crash today

It's a blast getting wet and sloppy...screw the rain gear...just make sure you have fresh clothes in your transporter!!! Glad to hear you are ok and that you enjoyed your ride. Steel is Real!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    I wish I could ride in the rain...got caught in a storm the other day and it was terrible. Weather was great, riding was fun, but when you are as blind as I am, the glasses get too wet to see more than 2' on front of you...which sucks. Anyone want to donate $2500 for Lasik?

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by borborpa View Post
    I wish I could ride in the rain...got caught in a storm the other day and it was terrible. Weather was great, riding was fun, but when you are as blind as I am, the glasses get too wet to see more than 2' on front of you...which sucks. Anyone want to donate $2500 for Lasik?

I hear you, I'm in the same boat, can't see without the glasses, and when they get wet or fog up it's so hard to ride.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by borborpa View Post

I have friends with the same problem that I race Moto with. Scott goggles makes a set of goggles with a fan in them that works great to get rid of fogging, you can get a prescription insert for them also. Add Roll offs if ya like I know it's not the norm, but would be way to get out there.

Cheaper than Lasik

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Rainex works pretty well to stop the fogging and gets the water to bead and slide off. Car wax works too. I've even used a crayon to wax goggle lenses in a pinch when we were in WV for a weekend of dirtbike riding in the rain. Not sure I would use a crayon on my glasses but the Rainex sould be fine. I can take my glasses off to ride still. Your mileage may vary...