Thread: Must rides?

Grim Interdiction
    Jan 2005

Must rides?

I'm moving south this summer. Way south... From Cape Cod to Mobile AL.

I'm looking fo r great places to ride during the week I have to drive the east coast.
    My trip takes me from Buffalo thru Penn to Baltimore.

The bike involved is a Yeti 575. The rider (just me) is intermediat, but my hope is to have my legs at full power by the trip. Dates are around the 30 June-2 July.

Thanks.
    Last edited by battlescars; 04-29-2007 at 01:17 PM.

Freshly Fujified

4 places

Southeast PA:
    Wissahickon: Part of the Farimount Park in Philadelphia. Great technical singletrack. Plenty of loops for a variety of levels of expertise.
    French Creek: Parts of this State Park in the Reading area are open to mountain biking. Lots of rocks. LOTS of rocks.
    Blue Marsh-22 miles of epic Singletrack riding in Reading. Be prepared. Few if any bailout points.

Delaware:
    Middle Run/White Clay-More classic east coast singletrack with a small area set aside with Freeride style stunts.

That's my contribution. All of these trails are listed in the Trails section here on mtbr. Check the reviews for yourself to determine which would be best for you.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    PA?

This is a must ride. Not a should, but a must. It's that good.

http://home.epix.net/~rebjsw/RCSTWeb/index.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i've been all over this state, and i've got to say that your direction of travel is really what is screwing you.

from buffalo, you're likely taking 219 south. at least until dubois (if you have better local knowledge, you won't be on 219 much at all, but...) the biggest 3 riding locales i would put on the map are rothrock state forest (with ~200 miles of trails or so) laurel highlands with a day's full of fun at next to no cost in elevation and the above mentioned rattling creek trails in lykens.

sadly, those all run east to west form one to the next. and your route keeps you away form the last two.

if you go out of your way to wiss, you're wasting your time and money on gas.

now with all that in mind, you had better love rocks to ride the good stuff in this state.

best of luck with your travels!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LititzDude
    PA?

This is a must ride. Not a should, but a must. It's that good.

http://home.epix.net/~rebjsw/RCSTWeb/index.html
    This place looks pretty cool. How easy is the trail to follow? I tend to ride solo.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Southeast PA:

Blue Marsh-22 miles of epic Singletrack riding in Reading. Be prepared. Few if any bailout points.
    Not to split hairs, Bob, but Blue Marsh is 30 miles around, not 22 (unless you lop off some of the best climbing) - and it's a pretty liberal mix of singletrack and double-track tractor paths, with a smattering of abandoned asphalt thrown in.

As far as bail-outs go, before you get to mile marker 10, you could always just turn around. After that? Might as well ride the trail out to Church Rd (~ milepost 14), then ride the 6 miles back to the start on the road. Only other way to shorten it is to hitch a ride on a boat.

It's an epic ride, to be sure - and a favorite of mine - but it has more in common with a fast west coast NORBA course than classic east-coast 'must-ride' singletrack.

To the original poster: If your route is through central PA into Maryland via Harrisburg/I-83 - you'll have to detour a bit to hit some of the best stops. State College, Lykens/Rattling Creek and Michaux are worthy of the time spent driving, but may be tough to find your way around as a first-timer... as is Frederick Watershed in MD. Kinda like Wissahickon meets french Creek... It's a fun place. Patapsco is closer to Baltimore, and is also fun.

Enjoy!
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Talking about bailouts at Blue Marsh... I was there this past winter, right in the middle of that freaking cold streak that hit us for about a month, and I broke my crank right in between mile 9 and 10. There was no hope of repairing it... and the walk was long and the trails were snowed in and it was just brutally cold and windy. I think my car reading was 18 degrees right before we started. I had a few options, I could sit down and cry like a baby, I could back track hike a bike style for 9 or 10 miles, or I could walk to church road and hope someone would pick me up... OR... I could do something really stupid... which was walking accross the lake to shorten the distance I had to walk up to church road. And, that's excatly what I did... I walked accross the frozen lake all the way to the other side. But it was pretty safe. There were people ice fishing and ice skating, so I figured that I could be ice walking...he he. I made it to church road in 10 minutes, just walk another 6 miles becasue NO ONE gave me a ride back!!!
    Anyways... If you are driving through PA, Blue MArsh is a great place to check out.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    if you get a hold of one of the maps, you should be able to navagate it pretty easily. it is a great ride. if you choose to come down through state college you can check out this site, www.nittanybma.org and go to the local ride link, theres a couple of good ride descriptions and maps on the map button. if you want to do some riding just below buffalo, theres a couple days of sweet riding in Ellicotville NY

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by CaballoLoco
    Talking about bailouts at Blue Marsh... I was there this past winter, right in the middle of that freaking cold streak that hit us for about a month, and I broke my crank right in between mile 9 and 10. There was no hope of repairing it... and the walk was long and the trails were snowed in and it was just brutally cold and windy. I think my car reading was 18 degrees right before we started. I had a few options, I could sit down and cry like a baby, I could back track hike a bike style for 9 or 10 miles, or I could walk to church road and hope someone would pick me up... OR... I could do something really stupid... which was walking accross the lake to shorten the distance I had to walk up to church road. And, that's excatly what I did... I walked accross the frozen lake all the way to the other side. But it was pretty safe. There were people ice fishing and ice skating, so I figured that I could be ice walking...he he. I made it to church road in 10 minutes, just walk another 6 miles becasue NO ONE gave me a ride back!!!
    Anyways... If you are driving through PA, Blue MArsh is a great place to check out.
    LOL... your handle makes more sense now. That's nuts. Stymie, electric mustard and I were out there in the frigid effing cold too one day, and the ice over the shallow parts of the lake was solid as a rock - but at least one person went through the ice this past winter and didn't make it out.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

PVNEMBA vee pee
    Jan 2006
    Don't forget about Jim Thorpe. If you like rocks...check out the American Standard.

- Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgorth
    This place looks pretty cool. How easy is the trail to follow? I tend to ride solo.

It's about as good as it gets. You need a map, or someone to show you around. They don't have kiosks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    damn kevin, how did i forget ellicotville?

yeah do that, it's pretty close to buffalo, right on 219.

the maps in lykens are well guarded, but i'd be loathe to send you out there without one or a guide.

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the standard closed?

Cap'n Injury
    If you are heading through Northeast PA, be sure to check out Merli Sarnoski!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I do remember that! I remember the helicopter search and everything. And I specificly remember saying to myself :" I just dont want to be that stupid guy that falls through the ice and dies". But the fishermen told me that the ice was at least 8 inches thick, so I walked over. Let me tell you bro, the water moving underneath that frozen solid ice makes the creepiest noise ever!! It was scary. And i couldnt rush cuz it was so damn slippery. But at least I felt safe becasue there were plenty of people around fishing and skating.