Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea! Mud Pond 1939 aka future Moon Lake Park History thread

Not much happening at Mud Pond on June 4th 1939...

...business as usual farming, orchards, and quiet surroundings. Mountain biking? Hum? What is that? Riding bicycles on dirt roads? Yes, they did that back then, but I doubt they met on Wednesday nights to ride in a group.

If you play with the map(since it was a huge file and I had to shrink it to fit here on mtbr.com parameters) download it and view it in a picture viewer, enlarging it you can see some features. The Barn and Farm House were there in 1939, but everything else is some 30 years later when Moon Lake Park came into being in 1969. I can imagine Rt 29 was dirt, or tar and chip as were most of the roads back then. The Flume is noticeable, as Pike's Creek(Ceasetown Dam) was built earlier that century to provide water to Plymouth, Pa.

The Moon Lake park main office road did not exist, no campground, swimming pool, nature center or marina area.

The Logging Road coming off Atherton Rd down to the barn still exists today as Nature's Way 2, and a logging road going to the water tanks is still there as Service Road 2 today. The road that is gated off as you drive on Moon Lake Drive was the main road into Hasey Farm as was Farm Road which connected to the White Oak/Misdial intersection on the other side of the future park.

According to my friend Elmer a local who still fishes today at Moon Lake at age 84 saying back in the 1940s he walked to the pond to fish and it was teaming with catfish.

Moon Lake Park(Mud Pond 1939)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mud Pond 1939 aka future Moon Lake Park History thread-copy-luzerne_060439_arb_95_30-moon-lake_1000x1000_900x900_850x850.jpg