mtbr member
    Aug 2005

MTB road trip vaction - where to ride between Boston & Asheville, NC? (x-post)

I'm taking 2 weeks to drive down to Asheville, NC and back (from Boston) for a MTB road trip vacation (6/17 thru 7/04). I'm meeting up w/friends in Asheville from June 22 thru 26th to ride Pisgah, etc. What I'm looking for are suggestions on "must do" rides between here (Boston) and there (Asheville). Would like to do a few days in PA for sure but mostly, I just want to hit some good trails each day along the way. Would like to meet up with locals if possible to make sure I hit the good stuff but that's not a necessity. So, anyone have some trail suggestions? Doing a ride I could tag along on? Let me know. And thanks in advance for any info/suggestions. -L8R

mtbr member
    have you thought about what routes/highways your gonna be traveling on? PA is a big state and good riding can be found almost anywhere in the state. The Laurel Highlands area offers some of the best riding in the western part of the state. the easten part of the state and Pocono areas also have some great riding. Jim Thorpe is probably the best known mtb destination in the state.

mtbr member
    If you can find a guide or are capable of following the maybeitsatraillines on a topo map, I would suggest Michaux State forest in South Central PA, I'm Guessing I81 would be on your route to Ashville from Boston. This riding are is also on of the best in the state. It's just north of Gettysburg. For me, I like it better then Thorpe and there are less people and more miles of trails.

ganginwood

head right to ahseville

i wouldn't bother stopping in pa. not that the riding isn't good, but if your headed to asheville, i'd foucus on that. 2 weeks may not even be enogh time. while your there, look into the wilson creek area. its not asheville propper, but is only about 45 minutes away. some of the best stuff in pisgah forest is there. its very remote and the trails are not marked so make sure your freinds know where they are going. if they ride a lot, i'm sure they've been there. trails to inquire about (greentown plunge to raider camp-head back on on beehive, the a&t trail starting from rasberry, headley's ridge to sinkhole goat) this stuff is located off of 181 from morganton ,nc.
    then you'll need to cruise up to the blue ridge parkway above old fort. you'll definatley
    want to ride heartbreak ridge. it has a 13 mile singletrack downhill. connect that to kitsuma and you'll have yourself an epic. this is the "off road assult on mount mitchel course". make sure you stop in black mountain at my fathers pizza for some suds when your finished. the town pump is pretty good too. you can take your hounds into the bar.
    after your finished in that neck of the woods, drive through asheville and head to brevard (about 30 minutes south west of asheville) park at the fish hatchery and start riding. your now in southern pisgah (the cradle of forestery). you can spend a month here. (clawhammer trail, caney bottom, longbrach, etc.... literally hundreds of trails)
    if that is not enough for you, then head to asheville for some good single track. i recommend doc cheys for some thai noodles and then stop at the asheville pizza and brewery for some beers. jack of the wood also has some good micro brews. there is a vegetarian place above it called the laughing seed.
    i lived down there for 5 years. if you have any questions drop me a pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    hey gaginwood:

you sure do seem to know about that area... you really make me wish i had a month to go down and explore!

but i am heading down for a long weekend culminating in the off road assult on mount mitchell this year.

i was hoping to head down maybe thursday and trying to get a couple mellow scenic rides in before the big event sunday.

you got any suggestions on camping/riding on the days surrounding that event? i can't wait!!!

I am the big German!
    I am moving to the Boone, NC area this summer. I also used to live in PA. Ganginwood is right, probably enough in Pisgah to spend a month. However, I susepect you aren't going to want to drive straight through and you may want to stretch your legs. I would tell you to stop near Gettysburg on I-81. I'd also be willing to guess that this is about half-way between Beantown and A-ville. Do yourself a favor and spend 4 hours riding in Michaux state forest. Some great stuff there: singletrack and fire-roads. Hit the forest in the AM and you're back on the road by noon. Stop at a LBS and have someone show you a nice big fat 25 mile loop in Michaux. Ask about the Michaux Ironmasters Classic race loop (not sure if that race still exists, but they do have a few races out there each year). You won't be disappointed with the riding here if you get a good map and some directions from the locals.

I'm not sure of other places worthy of distracting you from Pisgah in PA (although I'm sure there must be some along the I81 corridor in N. PA near Scranton) I'd also look further south in Virginia.

Have a great trip.

mtbr member
    PM sent

mtbr member
    you could probably stop and ride at any state park or forest along the way. there are so many places to ride in PA im sure you can find something thats not out of the way. get a good map of pa and just find somewhere thats along your route. just make sure you stop and ride somewhere here in pa just to get a feel for what the riding is like here.

if your a AAA member then get one of there PA area tourbooks so you can find out whats in the area.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/

ganginwood
    i've gotten 3 pm's regarding the riding in nc. all of who'm where asking about the off road assult on mount mitchell. i highly recommend riding the kitsuma trail before the race. the beginning climb is probably 6-7 miles long. the last mile includes 13-15 switchbacks at around 18-20% grade on rooty single track. it will kick your ass. even walking it hurts. here is the application to the race. look at the center of the pdf. i particularly enjoy the disclaimer in blue. "do not underestimate the extreme difficulty and danger............." you read the rest for yourself.
    https://www.biowheels.com/Docs/Mt_Mit2006_small.pdf

i'll pm those who've contacted me about campsites and other trails. my only recomendation for now is to stay away from tsali. its fast, hardpacked, and buffed in, however there is much better stuff in western nc and you won't hit the crowds. my friend tagged the tsali trails best.."i can ride an electric wheelchair on this stuff"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey Ganginwood (and everyone else!) - thanks for the info. None of my friends who I'm meeting/riding with in Asheville are from there (or have ever been there) so we'll have no first hand (local) trail knowledge. Everyone else is flying in from various parts of the US to meet there for 5 days of riding. I decided I wanted to drive down and hit some good trails every day along the way, hoping to meet up with locals when/where possible so that I get to the good stuff and don't waste too much time checking maps. I've received lots of good suggestions so I won't be without a place to ride..... again, many thanks to all for your help. Really looking forward to riding some new trails! Hope to see & meet some of you along the way.