mtbr member
    Oct 2008

MTB resorts in PA?

Just wondering if any of you know of any kind of business that has both accomodations and access to trail riding (guided possibly) in our commonwealth. I have stayed at Grouseland before, was hoping for something on those lines if you are familiar with it.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here.

Scott:

Tough one... Hidden Valley ski area?

There used to be a gig in Eagles Mere, but the bike shop owner moved out of that area. Crystal Lake XC ski area(near Eagles Mere) is great for skiing and they used to do a Mt bike thing in the summers(my friend JJ was the trail guide) but No More, speaking of XC skis I better get mine out and tune them up, you know it will snow soon! I def plan to hit Crystal Lake as they have excellent trials. Do you XC Ski?

Thinking... Jim Thorpe? I know there are bed and breakfasts that cater to rail trail areas. Travel bureaus can get you a great place to stay, but I doubt any of them know the local trails. And local guys can get you on the trails abut don't provide much in the lodging info other than the local hotels and motels.

NEPMTBA can get ya out on the trails in the NEPA area and there are plenty of places to stay around here, but this is a picky time of year to do so due to the weather. Let me know if ya ever visit our area we can ride with ya and show you around. if your looking for a "ride out the back door and on to the trails" Hum? Tough one! the Philly guys or Lehigh Valley guys can do the same as we do It's kind of a self assembly of elements you would have to do to get what you want here in Pa. I don't know of an actual Mt Bike resort in Pa. The guys at Elk Mt in NEPA do a ride one day a year and you can stay pretty close to there. But, it's like other ski resorts up & down trails and slopes9nice none the less)! If you camp you have lot's of options, but the best you'll get is a park ranger who could tell you "Yes, we have trails"... LOL

I didn't forget your request to post pics of Erie, just gotta get them all of them out of the camera and into the computer, bout half done now! I have a great vid of the Steelhead at Trout run in the pool/stream, as it rained the day before and they were running.

Still thinking...

Ellicotville near Erie might be your best bet as I spoke with guys last week and they said there are a few locals that will give ya the tour there! But, aren't you from that area? We have lot's to ride and tour at Moon Lake, but camping in the summer months is as close as you will get to a resort... maybe we will build on there soon!

NEPMTBA
    GOOD LUCK

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    We've stayed at a couple of bed and breakfasts in Jim Thorpe so I'm familiar with all of those.

Yes I downhill and cross country ski.

When I mentioned Grouseland...........Grouseland is in extreme southern Somerset County....right on the border with Maryland. It's based on a Cannondale bike shop that is solar powered, on 75 acres of property. The owner permits camping on his property and has ten miles of single track. He has pre planned one, two and three day trips......all including lots of riding, skills training, catered lunches and home made dinners.

I thought I had this one place bookmarked, but I guess not. If I remember correctly, it was somewhere near Towanda PA.....it was an inn for mountain bikers.

Yes, I'm originally from Erie and know Ellicotville well.

Still looking forward to seeing your pictures. I grew up fishing the streams of eastern Erie County, like 16 and 12 mile. Great memories.

My wife and I just spent our first wedding anniversary in Jim Thorpe. We spent some time near Reading and Allentown, more so near West Lawn. We really fell in love with the area. We both have great careers. My wife is employed by one of the most well known universities in the world and has a promissing career there, so I have promissed that I would never take that career from her. If it wasn't so, I think we would consider living in your area.

AllDayinPA
    http://verticalearthpa.com

next years schedule will be up shortly, fyi. We will have a trail guide program as well. Close to Jim Thorpe for great XC or lift access at Blue Mtn. Ski Resort above Allentown, PA.

Thx for checking it out