mtbr member

MTB rental in Williamsport, and quick trail access from South Side?

Hi Folks,

'Goin' up to visit my folks in a few weeks, and it's about time I try to hit some XC singletrack while there. I need to rent a decent bike, and with family goings-ons, will probably just have 2-3 hrs for bike pickup, transport, and ride.

'Did a quick search of posts, and was suprised by the amount of quality-sounding riding in the area.

Any recommendations for rentals and a quick trail? Any maps on-line (I'm probably not going to buy one of the trail books for this weekend). Also, I wouldn't mind hooking up with someone (edit) Sunday morning Labor Day weekend for a ride, if anyone is willing to show me around.

Thanks!
    Scott
    Last edited by hanshananigan; 08-24-2007 at 08:55 AM.
    Hi!
    Style: XC, Mid-Atlantic roots, rocks, & poison ivy
    Rides: '06 K2 Apache 6.0, '01 K2 Razorback Team

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I've never needed to rent there, so the only place that comes to mind is The Bicycle Center
    in South Williamsport, 570-323-1153. Call ahead to ask if they rent.

Single track recommendation: Williamsport Water Company grounds, sometimes called Mosquito Valley. Very nice area. http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...3_4573crx.aspx. I haven't ridden there since 2004, ask in bike shop if still accessible, occasionally they limit access during drought conditions or if high usage. Single page map usually available on door of maintenance building where you park.

So, if The Bicycle Center does rentals, you can pick up, drive 4 or 5 miles to trailhead, and get in a nice ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks XCM -

'Bought my first bike there in 1991 - Trek 6000. I'll give 'em a call.
    Hi!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The Bicycle Center: Good that you've been there, because I was going to add that their place is hard to find at first. I must have driven by it four or five times before I realized it. It's in an old barn in the back of a house, and it seems like you're pulling into someone's rock driveway and backyard patio when you finally figure where the entrance door is.

mtbr member
    Follow-up: no rentals at BC. Country Ski & Sports doesn't either, but they said they might be able to work something out. I think I'm going to take a pass this weekend, and ride nice and easy with Ma and Pa- they are renting a couple rigid comfort bikes for my wife and I so we can picnic on a rails-to-trails path somewhere... next time I'll bring my own!
    Hi!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    if you're going to be in south side, you can go to REI, they have rentals (im pretty sure) and the south side trail is right there....

there are some paths off the trail too that aren't too bad...
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestion, jcaino-

By "south side" I meant "South Williamsport." No REI in the area, I'm afraid.
    Hi!