Ride da mOOn Moderator

Smile MTB/Fishing in Erie Pa.

[SIZE=3]Just a few Great pics from a Vacation/Ride/Fishing Trip. Pennsylvania has some really great scenery!

[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    so did ya catch any steelhead?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    so did ya catch any steelhead?
    Well! If you consider the fact we had loads of fishing gear to attack the fish and then when we got there the fish were bumping into our feet. Tried lot's of different baits and lures. Stopped at every bait store and Wally World to find the local secret bait. Stood in a blinding rain storm. Talked to lot's of nice folks. Found a few trails to ride, took great pics, stayed in a log cabin, ate fantastic meals...Wait... what was the question..........LOL!

LC

mtbr member
    the fishing is pretty difficult when the streams are low and clear. you really have to present your bait to them perfectly or they wont even look at it. that steam looks like Walnut, did you try any of the other streams?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    the fishing is pretty difficult when the streams are low and clear. you really have to present your bait to them perfectly or they wont even look at it. that steam looks like Walnut, did you try any of the other streams?
    Yes it is! The streams were low and there were no runs before we got there. It rained a few days before and while we were there. We were at Elk first waiting in the rain and the water started boiling with fish. It was a hair raising experiance to have thousands of fish all at once charging upstream.
    Then it was on to Walnut! You are correct! Good eyes! Where the pic was taken...above the bridge. Really different stream. The log dams provide turblent water where you could drop your bait in and the fish would grab it. I can't imagine Walnut without the logover dams, must have been really flat water.
    We will be back again, It was worth the money!

LC

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nice pics I was up at lake erie for the first time over labor day weekend,went out too Presque Isle state park nice views,friends of ours took us to lake conneaut for some boating then over to pymatuning where they say you can walk on the carps backs and there was at lot of carp at the spillway,I live in reading and really liked the slower life style did you find a lot of bike trails

mtbr member
    loved fishing for steelhead while i went to school in Edinboro. It is tough fishing when you have so much in front of you and they dont bite. Nepmtba- you really should go carp fishing on your next trip. The Freaks come out of the woodwork to go carp fishing and all you need is a crap rod, fresh bread, hooks, and the will to be in your spot well before daylight. 20 pound carp is a blast to catch....almost as fun as a steelhead. Plus you already know what they plan on eating...bread. The fish tanks down the road are awesome too.

oh by the way erie has 5 inches of snow and word on the street is 6 more tonight. Love the lake effect.
    Chance favors the prepared mind

mtbr member

Nice Pictures.....

Looks like you had a great time. Beautiful scenery. 6 inches of snow on ground in Erie....bet there is some good xc or backcountry skiing out that way.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

I think I'm gonna take you up on the Carp fishing! Yee Haa! I live 2 blocks from the Susquehanna. In the summer they spawn and some friends fish for them. The run like stink. You have to have lot's of line on the reel cause they just go! Great sport fish not many fish for them though!

Jeff it's pretty flat XC sking would be nice, not a lot of Mt Bike trails yet!
    Next trip I bring the Tools... Met the ranger at Pyamunting.. He said we don't have anyone here making trails...Yet!

LC

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by defcon4
    loved fishing for steelhead while i went to school in Edinboro. It is tough fishing when you have so much in front of you and they dont bite. Nepmtba- you really should go carp fishing on your next trip. The Freaks come out of the woodwork to go carp fishing and all you need is a crap rod, fresh bread, hooks, and the will to be in your spot well before daylight. 20 pound carp is a blast to catch....almost as fun as a steelhead. Plus you already know what they plan on eating...bread. The fish tanks down the road are awesome too.

oh by the way erie has 5 inches of snow and word on the street is 6 more tonight. Love the lake effect.
    I lived in Erie all my life up untill last year when I moved to Pittsburgh, and have thousands of great memories fishing for Trout/Steelhead with my grandfather. I don't approve of what the Steelhead fishery has become however, now we have guides and people paid to save spots on the streams for people, its become very commercial and terribly overcrowded. My love for off road biking increased immensely as my love for Steelhead fishing turned to disgust.

mtbr member
    I have to say im one of those guys that go carp, and bullhead fishing and its a blast! I go down to the mouth of elk creek there is a part that sticks out a little my bro and I go down and make it a long days night. we start at 530 and do some bass fishing along the creek as we go down to the mouth till about 830 ish. Then we re-rig or lines and grap the cooler and head down the the mouth and start a fire. from there we wait and wait. The carp, bullhead start hitting about 10ish. we stay till about 230-300 its a blast to get a big carp on the other side of the line is something else. I will let you all no next time we head out its not for a couple of months but its worth waiting for. But steelhead fishing is what I wait for all year the pic of me and the steely are from this summer it was my first of the year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

jeeptree:

Nice Fish!

Fish'in & Mt. Bik'in are great ways to see and play in nature. I forwarded your post to my friend Rick who I traveled with last year on the Eire Steel head trip. He has been stocking up on Steel head gear as we do our yearly trip to Cabella's in Hamburg Pa. What a great day/night fishing combo you have reminds me when I was a kid on the Susquehanna and would spend the day/night out on the water. Starting at a pipeline crossing the river we would get early morning Bass and Walleyes, then catch Cats in early evening. It's was and still is like Magic, as soon as the sun goes down the Cats hit and fight sometimes taking 20 minutes to get to shore. Of course to keep this in the Mt bike theme we rode the 2 blocks to the river on our bikes!... LOL!

We have a Rail/Trail's(D&H trail) on the Lackawanna river that is stocked with trout and you can ride your bike to get to the fish!

Do you have a fishing forum you visit that I post pics on since I don't want to overload MTBR with fishing stuff, but I have lot's to share. I remember one Erie something dot com? Maybe I will have more NEPMTBA members heading to Erie. We stayed in the cabins at Linesville, so plenty of room for more. Hope you stop by for a visit when were there.

Thanks for the invite, story's and pics and September will be hear soon enough. I will look you up!

mtbr member
    fisherie.com is the site I go to to post.

great people there with more info.