Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    W.M.A.

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! MTB Fall Classic @ Marsh Creek SP Nov 9

So…

Things are beginning to shape up nicely for the race. An early version of the race flyer can be seen here http://www.teamloweriders.com/race.html… more details and updates to follow.

We have a preliminary course mapped as well… looks like we will have an approx 9 mile loop… we have added some never raced singletrack – especially along the lake and down from the dam… there is still SOME double track, a little fire road and even a touch of pavement… but overall, this is the best course of the race history… at least we think so.

For those that like to check it out – here is the first gps run of the course… its not final, but youll get a good idea. There is some calibration issues with the map – not sure if its form the gps unit or the maps, but the race does not go thru the water or on the private property as shown.

clockwise...

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/pa...n/302134931986

or

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6886630

bikereg is here - http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=7175

start times have not been finalized yet… probably going to send experts out first followed by sport shortly after.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Smile

Excellent:

Were bringing the Cedar/NEPMTBA crew to race!

See ya then!

W.M.A.
    please note - start times have been adjusted. see bikereg for specifics

we have also added singlespeed cat for sport and expert classes.

course is shaping up real nice... added some more climbing to help keep you warm just in case its a chilly day!

see you soon!

http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=7175

W.M.A.
    Hello All...

Happy Monday! This is just a friendly reminder that the Fall Classic is this coming Sunday, November 9th. Start times are posted at bikereg - http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=7175 Pre-reg closes Thursday just before midnight. Please pre-reg - day off will be an additional $5.

Course is much improved this year, including over 1 mile of sweet new single track right along the lake. Some fun downhills and lots of climbing too to help keep you warm on the nice fall morning... laps are just over 9 miles, compared to under 5 miles in past events.

Course can be seen here...

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/unite...e/119553213630

Or

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/e...kValue=7057788

Please keep in mind there is a NEW START LOCATION!!! You cannot get to this from the main park entrance where the race started in years past.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...,0.016479&z=17

You may need to copy and paste that link if it doesn't work... or use mapping site to go to Chalfont road in Glenmoore PA - it's a dead end road and we will have signs up.

Look forward to seeing you all there!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    For the "1st timers" loop, approximately what will the course look like? Any hints about what direction it starts or what part of the 'main' loop will get cut off?

thank you!

W.M.A.
    we are not 100% sure on the 1st timers yet... shoudl have that hammered out in the next day or so. will prob be counterclockwise and avoid the parts outside of the park (quarry area) and over by the dam...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Where will the kid's race be held?
    Thanks,
    Dan

W.M.A.
    it will start at the main parking area and will go around the oval - see satellite image - right off of chalfont road. this is dirt doubletrack that the kids should love. it is 1/2 mile. it can be seen here -

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/pa...e/492960137392

for the younger kids that may not be able to make it all the way around, we will have a shorter route that will cut to the infield 1/2 way around the oval.

W.M.A.
    as for the 1st timers race - here is a tenative layout. please note - this is TOTALLY by eye on the map and does not use any gps etc - it is a general idea of how the course will go...
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...e/683741858733

mtbr member
    What time is the kids race? - Sorry just saw it on Bike Reg - 9:30 am

W.M.A.
    thats right - 930 at the starting area

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm new to the NorthEast and to mountainbiking. I know it's last minute, but if I decide to register on race day, would you guys recommend I try the 1st Timers run or the enter the Beginners race? Is the climbing pretty brutal at Marsh Creek? I'm comfortable on my bike, but out of shape, so if the full 9 mile course has alot of climbing, I might be in trouble. I've never entered a race and have just been mountain biking for a couple months.

Thanks
    Clint

mtbr member
    9 mile course has about 1,200 ft climbing. Gonna be muddy out there tomorrow...

W.M.A.
    the 1st timers course will be very easy and pretty short... it will bypass some of the best trails we have to offer and will be a good bit of doubletrack... if you are making the drive from lambertville, you may be disapointed if you only do the 1st timers...

in the beginner loop there is a bit of climbing - some stuff is super tough, when dry, but thats where you get off and walk...

i say do the beginner race - in the end, after the pain has subsided, youll be happy you did.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You're probably right. If I'm going to drive 1.5 hours, I might as well have a good ride that will kick my arsss. I'll enter the beginner race. Is there a particualr address for the event that I can enter in my Garmin? I guess I can just google map Marsh Creek Park. Thanks!!

W.M.A.
    here it is on google maps:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...,0.027809&z=16

or try 130 Chalfant Rd Glenmoore PA 19343 will get you to a house across the street.

W.M.A.
    may be in as chalfont rd too

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Thanks

Thanks for all of the hard work that went into the race. My kids (once again) had a great time in the kid's race.

This was the first year that I was able to race and I had a great time. Lots of twists and turns and unexpected single track. My family really appreciates all of your team's hard work. THANK YOU!

Leatherwoods

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

thanks again Loweriders

just wanted to say thanks for a really well run event. You guys had great course with alot of tough climbs and it was marked out very well. The course marshalls were very helpful and strategically placed. You guys put on a hell of an event hope to see everybody again next year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for putting on a great race! The course was really fun and I look forward to coming out again next year!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

results

Any thoughts on when the race results will be posted?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I received an email with this link.

http://www.teamloweriders.com/MTB_Fall_Classic.html

W.M.A.
    thanks to all that came out and made the race a great success - look forward to a possible spring race next year...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Will this be happening for 2009?
    1998 GT Palomar, 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The race was part of the MASS Series this year. Already occurred on July 18th and was run at night.

http://www.masuperseries.com/2009/in...list&Itemid=12

Someone else asked the same question recently. Here's the link.
    Marsh Creek Classic - 2009
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2
    '15 Niner SIR 9 SS
    '14 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3

W.M.A.
    and, if i may say so myself, was the coolest race in the series... maybe even in the country... but my opinion may be slightly biased.

unless someone else picks up the fall race, i dont see it coming back...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Another bike shop in the area needs to step up, Exton Bikes? Beans Bike? Bikeline? Come on'! We could have an ad hoc one...

W.M.A.
    dont count on it...

its nto really a shop that puts on a race. its genearlly the shops team. beans does french creek, bikeline does fairhill... exton, they dont have a team... as well, working with a venue to secure a date etc is not a simple process and really cant be done on an ad hoc basis.

if you want to get in some mtb races - do the MASS races... after the MASS season, a large majority of mtb racers move on to cross. makes it hard to get numbers at an off season mtb race.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Cool, thanks for the info. In your opinion do you need a FS bike to do french creek or can you get away with a HT 29er? I am fairly new to chester county area.

W.M.A.
    i only ride HT29 there as do many... FS is certainly nice to have there, but not "needed" people ride full rigid there.... really comes down to personal preference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Word. Thanks. I was told "don't think of going to FC without a FS bike"..... I will have to check it out. I probably seen you at MarshCreek, basically where we ride. I helped put together the Teeter Totter, did you see that yet? Few weeks old....

W.M.A.
    yeha i saw it last time there, but jsut as i rode by and havent hit it yet... will next time though... good stuff. hoepfully the rangers dont see ti and take it out. i dobt they will as it would require them to actaully go out there, which is less than likely to ever happen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    where is the teeter totter? I rode there two weeks ago, and didn't see it. covered most of the park.

W.M.A.
    bonus loop - middle section near the top, kinda tucked away not far from the log ride,,,

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I know where the log ride is...I'll look for it...do some searching...gives me an excuse to ride there this weekend...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Jim who actually built the Teeter Totter said the park rangers are cool because we help out on the trails. Took a little bit getting the TT set right and I went over it first and almost killed myself because it did not drop quick enough.

We will be out there on Sunday and Monday if you want to meet up. Not sure what times but Monday like 5 ish. We meet at the old papermill and go up that way.

btw- we have plans for some other cool builds so if you like that stuff let me know. One thing I would like is a wooden bridge by the ridge where it is super muddy and you go across the creek. I like that way better then going up that rock hill because you can hit that nice downhill that leads out to the firetrail.

W.M.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by raekism
    a wooden bridge by the ridge where it is super muddy and you go across the creek.
    where are you talking about? bonus loop or boat launch side?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowflag
    where are you talking about? bonus loop or boat launch side?
    Bonus loop (good name btw). where you go down the hill where the ridge is. If you go up the "soul trail" which is the technical up hill off the fireroad. There is rock piles on top and signs danger keep out, but then go down that hill and you hit that area where it is swapy. You have to walk your bike because it is so muddy. If you made a wooden bridge you could connect it to a trail above and not have to walk through the swappy part at the bottom. Its a PIA walking through that. My understanding is when coming off the fireroad most people go right and up the rocky hill which is ok but I like going left up the soul trail which is more technical.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just started riding my 29er. So the whole concept is new to me. What PSI for you run your tires at for MC? Right now I have mine set to 50 PSI with tubes and it seems to be working.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Whoa! 50psi is a lot, even with tubes. I would drop it down to atleast 40. I run my tubed 29er tires at 30-35. You get way better traction that way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yea I probably drop them. At 30-35 are you experiencing any pinch flats? I use to put my tire on my 26 to 65, the back wheel would spin and spin going up hill. I am learning slowly but surely.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I don't get too many pinch flats. Once in a while, but have since gone to tubeless. I can now run even less pressure. The less pressure that you run, the squishier the ride going over roots and rocks. It almost feels like a full suspension with a 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yea, I should go tubeless. Did you do it yourself or know of a good shop in Exton that does it? My rims are tubeless ready....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You could go to loweriders in downingtown. that would probably be your closest, but call 1st to see if they have the parts. I use Bikeline in Broomall. You could also use bikeline in West Chester. I didn't have good luck with the exton store. You'll need tubeless rim strips, valves, and some stan's sealant. Have the people in the store set it up for you the first time. Remember to carry a tube anyhow...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I been in loweriders. I almost bought that Niner Emd but the price was not right for me. I will give them a call, everyone I talk to there was real cool. I think Shadow you work or ride for them? Bikeline is West Chester is cool, been there. The one in Exton is close and the guy in there is real nice. They are not up though on the latest trends I feel. More of a family oreinted bike shop which is ok. e.g. no FS frames in the store. I will give some places a call. Yep have a tube in my camelbak always. Thanks.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007

Teeter Totter Location

I rode Marsh Creek today for the first time in about a year, so I took some pictures of the "new" features (new to me, that is). Also posted are the GPS coordinates for the lazy.

Long ladder bridge (N 40.05657, W 75.70851):

Log Ride (N 40.05748, W 75.70856):

Teeter-Totter (N 40.05754, W 75.70890):

Nice work!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks. I helped out with the Teeter Tooter, how did you like it? Anything you would suggest? Pretty sweet how it whips you back out to the trail. We have a few other things planned but if you would like to see something please let me know. Jim is the man and built or had something to do with it all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I been in loweriders. I almost bought that Niner Emd but the price was not right for me. I will give them a call, everyone I talk to there was real cool. I think Shadow you work or ride for them? Bikeline is West Chester is cool, been there. The one in Exton is close and the guy in there is real nice. They are not up though on the latest trends I feel. More of a family oreinted bike shop which is ok. e.g. no FS frames in the store. I will give some places a call. Yep have a tube in my camelbak always. Thanks.
    I hear Loweriders is a good place And the see saw looks good! Time to go find it!
    Trestle Bridge Racing

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Thanks. I helped out with the Teeter Tooter, how did you like it?
    It's great! It's the largest one I've ever ridden (the only other one was the teeny-tiny one on the other side of marsh creek). It was interesting how hard you hit... I wasn't prepared for that. I'll have to get back over the rear wheel next time.

W.M.A.
    50#??? i have never run more than 35 with tubes... now tubless and run 25-30...

i run the mtb team for LR... if they dont have the stans stuff you need in stock, they will get it for you and get you taken care of. in the meantime, let A LOT of air out of your tubes...

here is some good reading for you as well on this very topic...

http://www.fatcyclist.com/2009/09/28...quired-wisdom/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast