Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MTB Clubs in PA

^ The Trail Starts Here ^

MTB Clubs in PA

To all:

How many organized MTB clubs do we have in PA? I do mean actual existing organized clubs who do stuff. What deems an Official Club?

Thanks!
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

Life is Good
    THere is one called PORC that you may want to look into. I'm not sure of any details or even if they have a website, I've just heard it from different people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    there are three in the Lehigh Valley area tha I know of, Valley Mountain Bikers, Dirt Devils, and Chain Gang. All are active participants in keeping the scene going as far as trail care, group rides, community service, etc...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    not to get anything started, but usually the indicator of an organized club seems to be an imba affiliation. i know not all are affiliated, as a matter of fact, i'll have to ask brian if the devils are. though i'm sure joe could probably tell me.

in truth though, all that is needed is a group of people willing to cooperate. once they've made that step and agree to form a collective identity, they pretty much become an organized club. you could go anywhere you wanted after that, i.e. officers, agreements, statements, etc.

to my knowledge, there are many in the state, i'll list those i know:

porc - pittsburgh off road club. kegstands, kegstands, and more kegstands. at least that used to be the way of it. they're pretty decent about doing things now. and somehow have an absurd percentage of female riders.

ptag - pittsburgh trail advocacy group. (i think) don't know their status any more, haven't heard much in a while, but used to be heavy on the advocacy front.

lhorba - laurel highlands off road bicycling assoc. still active, maintains a lot of area between pitt and state college. good people and good riding.

nmba - nittany mountain biking assoc. just a bunch of punks and losers, at least the ones named don. struggling to keep hightened interest, but very active in trialwork in rothrock, bald eage, black moshannon

nvc - nittany velo club. pretty much defunt now, see above. mostly roadies left. negligible impact.

rcst - rattling creek singletrackers. the state's premier club, fabulous advocacy, relations support and a simply astonishing record of trialwork. by far the exemplary club for all others in the state.

samba - susquehanna mountain biking assoc. more recently formed to address issues at swatara sp. have been growing since.

vmb - valley mountian bikers. ask joe, he can tell you better than i can.

yamba - york area mountain biking assoc. haven't heard much, but the last i knew they were doing well fostering relations with local land managers and were actively involved in trailwork.

mbm - mountain bikers of michoux. i don't know anything about them other than they host the races there.

poc - poconos outdoor club. i know even less about this club, only the name.

dirt devils - brian's merry misfits, i don't actually know how much they (we? i didn't get my stickers yet!) are doing, but i know there are a lot of good people involved.

chain gang - never heard of them till this post.

there are rumors of one sprouting up in huntington, but i'd be surprised of the demographics could support it.

also heard of less formal groups in the more rural areas of the state, and NW PA is pretty much an extension of WNYMBA (western new york)

i'm out, correct me and fill in the blanks where neccessary

Don:

It's the PRICK Lee! LOL!

Why do all clubs HAVE to be IMBA? I can see you are the BIG GUN at IMBA sent here to promote your post! Join IMBA or else! I will now stand back and let "YOU" work for me! Just let me know when the trails are ready for me to ride! I'm glad you work so hard to do what you do for me.

Good Luck!
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitdon

ptag - pittsburgh trail advocacy group. (i think) don't know their status any more, haven't heard much in a while, but used to be heavy on the advocacy front.
    Yes PTAG is still doing a lot of advocacy and trail work. We just got approval to put another 3 miles of trail at Moraine SP. IMBA will be visiting us later this year to work at Frick park. We have a lot of stuff going on. Things are going good, we just need more volunteers.

http://www.bike-pgh.org/ptag.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I wouldnt say IMBA membership is required to be considered a club, just a good group and some kind of formalized activity to help the cycling community in the area- if all the group does is ride on saturdays, then all it is is a group that rides, not really an organized club.

mtbr member

???

Quote Originally Posted by Proformance Cycle
    Don:

It's the PRICK Lee! LOL!

Why do all clubs HAVE to be IMBA? I can see you are the BIG GUN at IMBA sent here to promote your post! Join IMBA or else! I will now stand back and let "YOU" work for me! Just let me know when the trails are ready for me to ride! I'm glad you work so hard to do what you do for me.

Good Luck!

Are you a member of IMBA, or any other bike club?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judd97
    THere is one called PORC that you may want to look into. I'm not sure of any details or even if they have a website, I've just heard it from different people.

http://www.porcmtbclub.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LititzDude
    Are you a member of IMBA, or any other bike club?
    Having seen a lot of P.C's posts slamming IMBA lately, I'm curious to know the answer to this also.

mtbr member
    dan makes a great point. There seems to be a trend away from organized in the traditional sense of more of riding/social only. Granted the organized clubs did all that as well but threw in the advocacy/trailwork side of things. I guess time's a changin. Lee seems to echo the fact of why have an organized group esp on state level.

Question:
    anyway, i just wanted to ask a quick question; Why did you post this thread? Was is for general knowledge or??? thanks for the answer,

Joe

mtbr member

Why ?

"Lee seems to echo the fact of why have an organized group esp on state level. "

Why?

1) The question was asked on how many clubs are in PA? We don't know how many, or how many people ride. Hard to have a big voice, when you don't know how many voices you have.

2) Best practices. An easy way of sharing what works and what does not. How to get things done ect.

3) Grants. How many "clubs" would like to go after grants, but have a hard time, because they are not "non-profit status" or don't know how to.

4) Group rides- Pull from larger area- Look at what RCST does with the bash.

5) More mtbr's then hunters in my hood, but all the hunters are NRA members and I'm the only IMBA member.

To all:

First why do I have to be a member of IMBA or any club? For recoginition? Don't need any! I'm a Motocross Motorcycle Race Promoter, Shop Owner, Suspension Tech Expert for a few guys who ride Motorcycles and MTBs. Don't go haywire on me here! I'm not bragging you asked, Let me tell you my story!

I'm a memeber of:
    American Motorcycle Association (AMA)
    American Historic Racing Motorcycle Ass (AHRMA)
    Back Mountain Enduro Riders (BMER) AMA club
    Twin Creek Vintage Riders (TCVR) AMA club
    The now defunct Lackawanna Bike Club (LBC) Who originally built the trails at Merli
    Creater and sponsor of the 2006 Pa State VMX Championships Series at Twin Creeks and
    National race there next year. District 6 club. bla bla bla Boring! Boring Boring Let's ride!

I have worked for GAS GAS motorcycles on the road as a minder for Chris Bardell. Raced motorcycles and quads and MTBs all over the place. Build tracks and trails everywhere! I don't need recognition. I just go do it! And love to do it. When I want a trail or place to ride I call friends who usually have some connection to someone we know and it happens. SO Don: ROYAL FAMILY? NOT I! I just like to see peole riding and having fun. There are trails you all probally rode I have gone out and trimed and moved rocks and cleaned. Why because I like to do that!

Read my posts! I have thrown out ideas for all of you to try. It's not a "me" thing It works for everyone who trys.I have more friends and have more land to ride on than I could ever do in my lifetime.
    I have seen all the promises before and I think the attention brings out the nasayers more than ever. Here where I live we have NO IMBA! Is this a good thing Not for me to care or answer. It is their problem. After the bashing Bighitdon gave us I don't know why anyone would help him or anyone he is associated with! If he is the IMBA god Why hide? I asked like a gentleman for his real name and I got more BS! Funny he never heard of Merli and said he wasn't a local yet he knew all the clubs in Pa.

Joe did you talk to Jay DeJesus? He and I spent many a day/year after year at Motorama building trials sections for our guys to ride and have fun on. Motorcycle and Bicycles! Ot PI, Libor, Mark Brooks, JJ Gregowiczh, All people I have worked with and hung with.

Where is this going. Oh ya Clubs! Why did I ask? Just threw it out! Do we need clubs? Friends are Way more important! We were at Twin Creeks one day years ago and decided to do a poker run for the fun of it. That was 6 years ago. We had 143 quad riders this last April. Doesn't sound like a whole lot does it, but consider they were all from that area and most gave permission for us to ride their land! We have a 28 mile loop now! The first year we rode around the track with 15 guys. Just friends having fun. Did we have some group to represent us hell no why do we need that we have the land owners riding with us.

I know it was quads but MTB'ers can do the same!

So I know the land owner in this case is SGC! Does it help to have IMBA? yes and no! Bet it would be better to have a freind in the SGC wouldn't it? I have seen posts here where a few guys got together and did things on their own. It is done!

We have clubs here in Pa! Great! Did most of you join because you wanted to advocate more trails, or did you join as a social thing because it was cool to hang with guys who do what you do RIDE!

We have a local dirt jumping place called White Sox. Those kids dont race BMX because of the structure. They just dig and ride. They police their own for the good of their group! NO club for them. They were almost thrown out by the land owner when he saw what they did to his land. They now are great friends with him and he even helps them.

You see my pics of ride I do with people. Non of this is BS. LETS FREEKIN GO RIDING!
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    one big assumption your are allegedly implying is:

-i or anyone else like me does this for recogniction
    -organized clubs don't "just have fun"

the other thing that you mentioned that i've heard before is a kind of attitude that you don't have to be in a club to have fun. You're absolutely right Lee, i see tons of groups of riders all the time. They're not involved with a club, hek they just ride with eachother and go on about their lives. I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with that BUT, BUT BUT i get and have gotten offended at the subtle insults, that if you are involved with a organized club that your (insert sublte insults here). I don't down people for not being involed. DID YOU SEE ME ONCE JUMP UP AND DOWN AND SAY JOIN IMBA. NO, why? b/c if you don'tsee a benefit in it, then don't waste your money. PA has the 4th highest imba members so i know there is tons of people that need help or brought together to just ride.

I've seen comments that i find very interesting and i'll make reference to the "i just represent the everyday rider." I've sat on that comment for a while and wondered; what is the everyday rider? really not clear definition for sure. I personally have been from one spectrum and trying to reach the other(i have the swollen knee to prove it) but what i do know is we are all the everyday rider. Somedays we don't ride, but i bet you a carbon wheelset that we're thinking about riding. Do some of us ride everyday, sometimes twice a day? Sure.

I know i'm repeating here, but we're all everyday riders, but certain times we need organization. Even the most loosely formed groups have organization(website, simple forums etc, etc) You could even say the 3 guy/girls that ride together on the weekly ride is a club. They're the "have two kids, my significant other only let's me ride once a week with a 15 yr old bike" club.

What i would ask of those who either have very loose groups, clubs or don't like clubs etc: please recognize that there is a place and time for everything. Having IMBA, YAMBA, VMB, RCST etc is important when opportunites/challenges come up. You can almost guarantee failure if a challenge comes up and people are scrambling to organize.

I would also ask that those who feel judged upon b/c they don't consider themselves having a nice bike or just ride occasionally to not judge those who had the opportunity to get their first new rig or race, or talk about riding alot. We all do it for all kinds of reasons, so let's be supportive to the fact that we all ride bikes. Hek one of my good buddies who's been riding the same cannondale hardtail for 10+ years finally got a nice Rush. He's the one guy who deserved a bike way before me. to either of us it didn't matter if he had his old C-dale or i had a carbon FS, or my original GT, we were just happying talking at 10 O'clock at night after a ride about our kids, jobs, and YES WE EVEN TALKED ABOUT ADVOCACY!

Are forums awaste of time? Wow, i'm sure the answers are clear cut, but there are times that i beleive the forums create the foundation so when we do meet on the trails we can finally meet and build rapport or even when we meet slop a little GU on our buddy's seats.

Lee, i like you am tired, but i will press on as i'm sure you will. I ask however that you understand that i've attempted to just keep it at a level of me creating communication channels, spreading the word. I don't feel that i've addressed you on a personal level or ever judged your approach to the forum or your approach to trails etc. For people who know me, if you ever want to talk on the trail i will say the same things as on the forums so you know you will get the same me live or on the forums.

Well, to end positively BIG UPS TO ALL WHO RODE AROUND THEIR NEIGHBORHOOD, RODE THEIR LOCAL TRAIL, ROAD THEIR KIDS AROUND, RODE DOWNHILL, RACED THEIR ARSE OFF OR JUST WATCHED ROAD RACING ON THE INTERNET OR OLN. EITHER WAY YOU SLICE IT, KEEP THE PEDALS GOING FORWARD!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    So Lee, what's your problem with IMBA and/or mtb clubs? You list a handful of throttle twister clubs of which you're a member, but you're obviously against mtb clubs, preferring to work some kind of old boy network of contacts with landowners.

Freshly Fujified

Lee, it's getting old

Reeeaaallll old. Give it...and the rest of us... a rest.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    www.hubbardbicycleclub.com A group of guys who are into riding 5 days a week. Sat and Sunday, someone is going somewhere and a group email is sent. Tuesnight, the state park, Wednight, roadride put on by the Lacawanna bike club, NOT Hubbard. Thursnight, the night they ride Hubbard it's self. Though not 'organized' some are with IMBA and work on trail building and saving the trails.

BTW, Just ignore the dummy and he'll go away.
    Last edited by LarryFahn; 05-15-2006 at 06:58 AM.

mtbr member
    larry, jay D and I are jonesin' to come up and ride with you guys. I'm psyched to hang out in "the barn"

mtbr member
    Let us know when! I think it would be great to have you guys up! Bring some others while you're at it. LarryFahn

I agree:

It's really old!!!!! But others have asked for answers! The reason I am a member of all the MC clubs.Reason ,1 I need to be to run races! Reason 2, No one in these clubs ever promotes the "you have to join attitude or you will loose all your trails aka Bighitdon" These organizations are all interconnected. I guess we have the upper hand as far as things go for our world! Motorcycle guys just stick together, not that MTBers don't. But it seems when I'm on the MC message board Guys talk about the new pipe or trick suspension, not hey dude why can't we ride there.

I'm not against MTBers in any way. Just trying to figure other way of power we must gain to have more land to ride. Let me throw this out. (Why are Mt Bikers which I am one myself shoved out of places and just looked at as a different form of riding) The question I get most is Dude why would want to pedal that bicycle when you have really trick motorcycles to ride? They don't get it! I commenting on the posts here where the way to gain access to something is by organizing a MTB club. Would the answer to be a PA only club that benifits all Pa riders. Under one name say PaMTBers. If we went to the SGC in a big group statewide for what we want would it help? (2 words Trout Unlimited!) See how they work? They get all they want and more!

I'm not continuing this to insite anger in anyone. Those of you who are sick of it don't read it! These ideas and disussions in some way bring out many ideas and options. As you see a few people see the social point of riding Mt bikes not having to be in a club. Don't get me wrong If I want a club I can have one in minutes! Phone calls is all it will take.

You see my posts of rides I do. So don't think I'm not a Mt Biker or helping out! I share everything I have! I think Lath has a great idea in having rides in the Jim Thorpe area and we should have a MEGA ride there in the future! Those of you who have connections to media, TV, we need coverage for the ride when we do it!

Ride for what you believe!
    proformance58@cs.com

Freshly Fujified

Maybe I'm stoopid...

I'm sitting here scratching my head, Lee. On one hand, you seemingly $hit all over IMBA and those who are affiliated with them, and ask why people need to be part of clubs. In another thread, you extol the virtues of everything that Lee does by himself for the sport. In another thread you talk about all the MC clubs you are a member of.

Like you, I'm not trying to incite anything, I just don't understand what you stand for, and what you're trying to accomplish in your posts. Maybe your threads are laced with sarcasm I can't interpret? If my read is right (and it won't be the first time I'm wrong about something) you stand for whatever Lee feels like standing for at that particular moment. One moment it's "anti-IMBA" (or that's what I perceive your position to be). The next moment it's "what can we ALL do"? which implies that IMBA and it's members should be included in the "ALL". Then I see another post that seemingly questions why we even need clubs, yet you have a laundry list of clubs you belong too.

I'm schyzophrenic and bi-polar, Lee. Please provide an explanation that will be simple enough for even me to understand. I'm really curious as to your position. As far as I know, we may even have the same viewpoint on things. I just can't seem to get it through my head what it is you're saying, and what you stand for.

Respectfully,

Bob

Bob

Bob

(told you I was scyzophrenic...)
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Kegstands and PORC

"porc - pittsburgh off road club. kegstands, kegstands, and more kegstands. at least that used to be the way of it. they're pretty decent about doing things now. and somehow have an absurd percentage of female riders."
    PORC is like any other club, different factions, different priorities. The beauty is we all get along. Some of us do more trail work than others but we all enjoy a good party, so shoot us. We are an IMBA affilliated club and we are getting more and more involved in trail work and advocacy as a whole. Beer is good so don't bash it. It is our reward for long rides and long work sessions. And yes, we have an absurd percentage of women in our club and they are a bunch of great looking gals to boot, so keep your grubby eyes off of em!

"ptag - pittsburgh trail advocacy group. (i think) don't know their status any more, haven't heard much in a while, but used to be heavy on the advocacy front."
    PTAG is an offshoot of PORC to address advocacy. They are still very active and most PTAG members are also PORC members. PTAG was founded to specifically work on the advocacy side of things and was intended to attract ALL trail users and not just Mtnbikers.

Ok:

It continues!

Non Imba. Yes!

I put the Club post up to see what the percentage of clubs is. They are all over the state. Great they do what ever they do to make their area good for them. At least someone viewing now can see the number of clubs there are.

The motorcycle thing was asked as a question to me if I belong to any.

Do we ask for too much? We have been given rail/trails everywhere. I don't know of many Rail/Trails where Mt Bikers are banned. But you can't hunt on rail/trails. Is this the way everyone sees mt bikers. Do we need to show and educate the GC on how one rides Mt Bikes.Singletrack! Not just on Flat hard packed trails.
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    great points and that's part of coming to the table. We will be educating land managers about singletrack riding extensively assuming the process gets passed.

IMBA Trail Care Crew is another resource that can possible be used to do projects on SGL's. They already have a very succesful contract withthe Army Corps of Engineers. They are helping building trails at Raystown this year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    lol!!! PaMtnBkr

that's kind of an old dig that went around a few years ago. some of us still remember it and grin. others kinda miss out on it, which i guess leads to them thnking i'm being hard on porc. i'm not. i've come to know a few of you, and had a great time riding with you guys.

and yes girls too! i still say i'll ride with lee ann (sp?) anyday. she can handle a bike far better than most people i've met. i usually ride with glasses on, so you'll have to work hard catching me with my eyes on them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast