mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Mt Top/White haven Riders ???

I was on my way to White Haven via White haven road from Bear Creek. On the right hand side just past the train tracks I noticed a trailhead with a couple of cars. Is this a new portion of the Lehigh Gorge trail ? How far does it go from the trailhead? Where does it go? I always thought the Lehigh Gorge trail ended in White Haven.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

That section runs back towards Mt Top, and is in the plan of the 165 mile D&L trail from Wilkes Barre to New Hope Pa,

A few years ago we dedicated the bridge over the CNJ tracks in that area! You should explore it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mt Top/White haven Riders ???-dl-bridge-dedication-8-22-08-003.jpg  

Mt Top/White haven Riders ???-dl-bridge-dedication-8-22-08-002.jpg  

Mt Top/White haven Riders ???-dl-bridge-dedication-8-22-08-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yes that is a new section that runs to Mtn Top. You can go as far as Glen Summit then the trail is interupted by the paved road leading into Glen Summit. Plans are to continue I beleive all the way near the hose co in Mtn Top. Also before you actually get to Glen Summit the rail trail will bend towards rte 437 to a new parking area that is under construction for the purpose of the rail trail. You can keep going past that on the rail trail but it is unimproved and the surface is still all of the ballast from the railroad bed. Depending which direction you are driving from on 437 if you come from white haven as soon as you go under the tunnel at tunnel road the new parking area will be on your right at the top of hill. otherwise on the left at the top of the hill from mtn top. It give you good access to the singletrack in and around that whole area. If you park at white haven area, you will cruise up and cross over the railroad tracks via one of the pedestrian bridges that used to span over 81 north near the airport and davis st exit back in the day. Hope all of this helps!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Here's a link: CNJ BACK-TRACK of the way it used to be lot's of bygone stuff like Mountain Park, and of course what I think is the longest burning mine fire in the USA Red Ash in the now ghost town of Laurel Run! Laurel Run My thoughts were the plans to link this to the Ashley Planes in the future. But that's a lotta money and work, as the original railroad doesn't go beyond the Seven Tubs natural area anymore due to strip mining. You can bike this from Soloman's Gap, the railbed is washed out in places, and it's not pretty. After Seven Tubs Natural Area, the railbed disappears and you can follow the dirt road and ATV paths to Giant's Despair road near Georgetown, from there your into Allen's salvage property and of course all this area I'm telling you is private property and not recommending you go there. Just for the sake of conversation! From there Rt81 scrambles it to pieces, but it made a few turns and crossed the Wilkes Barre and Hazelton Electric Railway through Ashley and on into Wilkes Barre!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thank you both for all the info. It sounds like the rail trail is a great line to use to explore some of the single track.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

If your talking "single track" bring a "light"...LOL

Lots to ride if ya know where to look, and you can make loops using the pave to get back to the rail trail also for higher mileage rides.

Back in the 1990s before all this pretty rail trail stuff was organized a few friends and myself drove one car down to Jim Thorpe left it there drove back in another car parked it at the Seven Tubs, and rode our bikes to Jim Thorpe, 47 miles. The Lehigh Gorge trail was open, but getting to it was hell....... Ballast, and the bridge you see now wasn't there, so it was carry our bikes down and back up to get across. Lots of snakes and grown in sections, one section still had the ties under the 4 foot high grass!

Of course all done on non suspended bikes with 21 speeds, and canti brakes! Not like we needed the brakes though...LOL

Now you could take a road bike on it...
    ...progress!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Back in the 1990s before all this pretty rail trail stuff was organized a few friends and myself drove one car down to Jim Thorpe left it there drove back in another car parked it at the Seven Tubs, and rode our bikes to Jim Thorpe, 47 miles. The Lehigh Gorge trail was open, but getting to it was hell....... Ballast, and the bridge you see now wasn't there, so it was carry our bikes down and back up to get across. Lots of snakes and grown in sections, one section still had the ties under the 4 foot high grass!

Of course all done on non suspended bikes with 21 speeds, and canti brakes! Not like we needed the brakes though...LOL

Now you could take a road bike on it...
    ...progress![/QUOTE]

Cool story, that is why you must still ride rigid. I noticed from pics that you refuse to put a shock on your hardtails. I love those 90 era bikes, I still have an old steel Giant with canti's, but went from 21 speed to 1 speed..

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by poconomtbiker View Post
    Cool story, that is why you must still ride rigid. I noticed from pics that you refuse to put a shock on your hardtails. I love those 90 era bikes, I still have an old steel Giant with canti's, but went from 21 speed to 1 speed..
    No Shox...

mtbr member
    Did the Mountain Top to White Haven loop on Wed, and man I gotta say the views there are pretty sweet. Now to explore some of the single tracks off to the sides of the rail trail, finding stuff "new" to me is half the battle!

mtbr member
    Came down the rail trail and I was amazed at the lake on top of the mountain. Is it a natural lake or was it man made? I was wondering because a few of the power line poles are submerged. Also anyone have any idea if there are catfish in the lake, I would love to bike and fish as well, catch and release for me!
    Mt Top/White haven Riders ???-img_20130619_135515_048.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yes,
    Explore new trails and fish new lakes, rivers and streams, that's what it is all about. Thanks for the post.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

That's a great pic!

That looks like the lake at Bear Creek junction, also known as Moosehead junction, if so it is in state game land 119, and fish-able unless it is posted. I can't tell from the angle. You could call the Pa fish and game office to make sure. There is one other small pond on the R/T, it was the upper lake of the Penn Lakes, it is private I think. Crystal Lake is up that way also, but not on the R/T.

The lake at Moosehead jct. was damned up to have a greater water supply for the steam engines that ran through there years ago.

If you do venture out up that way be prepared there is a lot of land out there.

There are catfish in every water in Pa except my bathtub...LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mt Top/White haven Riders ???-99.jpg  

mtbr member
    Roger that! Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Here's a link: CNJ BACK-TRACK of the way it used to be lot's of bygone stuff like Mountain Park, and of course what I think is the longest burning mine fire in the USA Red Ash in the now ghost town of Laurel Run! Laurel Run My thoughts were the plans to link this to the Ashley Planes in the future. But that's a lotta money and work, as the original railroad doesn't go beyond the Seven Tubs natural area anymore due to strip mining. You can bike this from Soloman's Gap, the railbed is washed out in places, and it's not pretty. After Seven Tubs Natural Area, the railbed disappears and you can follow the dirt road and ATV paths to Giant's Despair road near Georgetown, from there your into Allen's salvage property and of course all this area I'm telling you is private property and not recommending you go there. Just for the sake of conversation! From there Rt81 scrambles it to pieces, but it made a few turns and crossed the Wilkes Barre and Hazelton Electric Railway through Ashley and on into Wilkes Barre!

I used to ride behind the Seven Tubs area taking it all the way to G-town and into ashley, mind you this was on dirtbikes for the last 20 some years. I live in Bear-Creek on Pittston Blvd, Seven Tubs is my backyard basically. I was actually telling Rich from ATB about those trails earlier tonight. There are miles of them off the main road leading to g-town that intertwine and branch off to different trails. Right before the end of the long culm road with all the whoops that's after the old mining equipment to the left is a really nice goat path that takes you to a good set of trails on top of the mountain that will take you close to the Joe Palooka statue on 309 in mtp. Good places to ride if you have a local with you. Lots of hidden trails.
    Up 115 about 1/2 mile after Tubs on same side is a place called the Sandpit. Now the Sandpit itself, is posted, although its been ridden for over 40+ years with a small party site with wooden shack built where all the sand is at. In there is about 15-20+ miles of single and double atv tech trails, lots of roots, rocks, some creek crossings, good riding. most of it is on easement land which is ok to ride its getting there on the Sandpit land that might be sticky as cars cannot be lined up down there. from there you can get to the Tubs or up to the power lines which is a good uphill workout flattening out to great views with a nice light winding downhill and then keeps going for hundreds of miles or a trail that comes back down at least a 2 mile downhill back to the original road that got you to the Sandpit.
    I take a nifty little trail directly out my back-door which leads to an earlier section of power lines, and winds down the mountain towards the Vo-Tech school behind sheetz. miles beautiful trails back here.
    I just started riding mountain bikes and am very excited to explore the trails i've been riding dirtbikes on for years.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by NEPARider View Post
    I used to ride behind the Seven Tubs area taking it all the way to G-town and into ashley, mind you this was on dirtbikes for the last 20 some years. I live in Bear-Creek on Pittston Blvd, Seven Tubs is my backyard basically. I was actually telling Rich from ATB about those trails earlier tonight. There are miles of them off the main road leading to g-town that intertwine and branch off to different trails. Right before the end of the long culm road with all the whoops that's after the old mining equipment to the left is a really nice goat path that takes you to a good set of trails on top of the mountain that will take you close to the Joe Palooka statue on 309 in mtp. Good places to ride if you have a local with you. Lots of hidden trails. Up 115 about 1/2 mile after Tubs on same side is a place called the Sandpit. Now the Sandpit itself, is posted, although its been ridden for over 40+ years with a small party site with wooden shack built where all the sand is at. In there is about 15-20+ miles of single and double atv tech trails, lots of roots, rocks, some creek crossings, good riding. most of it is on easement land which is ok to ride its getting there on the Sandpit land that might be sticky as cars cannot be lined up down there. from there you can get to the Tubs or up to the power lines which is a good uphill workout flattening out to great views with a nice light winding downhill and then keeps going for hundreds of miles or a trail that comes back down at least a 2 mile downhill back to the original road that got you to the Sandpit. I take a nifty little trail directly out my back-door which leads to an earlier section of power lines, and winds down the mountain towards the Vo-Tech school behind sheetz. miles beautiful trails back here. I just started riding mountain bikes and am very excited to explore the trails i've been riding dirtbikes on for years.
    Well, we are not alone... ...I was at the overgrown memorial cemetery the other day. You prolly know the black road I'm talking about. I stopped for a minute noticing I was being followed by a large black bear around 400 or so pounds. Just to give you an idea I could see he had a radio tracking collar on! Yes that close. I waited to see if he was going to continue my way before blowing my whistle. He kept his nose to the ground, so I then knew he wasn't interested in me. I rode on and didn't see him again. Did the entire loop on that side of the road, and back out. Good bear! Shoot me a PM if ya ever wanna ride any of that stuff, it's all good.