mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Mt. Penn - stinkfoot is gone!

This one's not a loss, really. But somehow I'll miss it a little. That was one of the first trails I found on Mt. Penn.

Now it's a freakin' road with gates on both ends. They hauled in many tons of stone and dirt, built the trail up a good 3 over the wet spots, and smoothed it all out. I could drive my wife's Elantra through there now. What's next? I heard the heavy equipment throughout the morning and thought "this can't be good". I crossed paths with the guys and asked "what's going on with the trails". They said "we're fixin'em up! We want to make the main trails real nice so people stop building so many side trails".

If there was ever a misguided theory... The scary part is they have funding and heavy equipment to back it up.

So I kept the conversation polite and cordial, and asked who was funding this work. He said it's the Berks County Conservency, working with the city of Reading. I bid him a good day and just shook my head as I rode away.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    They need to take lessons from the guys who do trail maintenance down at Brandywine DE. They do only what is needed. Sometimes this is the difference between guys who get paid and guys who love it and donate there time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

I assume they had all necessary approvals to fill in wetlands?

I'm all for re-routing trails around sensitive areas, but to completely cover them? This 'stinks' of fly-by-night planning.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Sounds like the same folks who take care of Jacobsburg.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    Sounds like the same folks who take care of Jacobsburg.....
    Yeah, Jacobsburg, now there's a real snoozefest unless you're into light XC. There's maybe one hidden short length of singletrack back in the woods even worth riding if you don't count the quarries.

Rule of thumb - if they lay down stone grit and if both sides are mown to almost lawn-quality and if it has horsecrap on it, its really not for mtbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Turns out this was a coordinated effort between the city and county. As I said before this trail is no big deal. It may even help keep runners and equestrians off the good stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tduro
    Turns out this was a coordinated effort between the city and county. As I said before this trail is no big deal. It may even help keep runners and equestrians off the good stuff.
    Positive attitude to take but, as seen at Jacobsburg, Green Lane, and Nockamixon, equestrian activity (and its crap) seems to expand to fill whatever new trail "improved" capacity is created plus it'll continue hanging out on the existing singletracks too. We'll have to continue dismounting while the royal poop parade processionals pass unprovoked. I've never ridden Mt. Penn but I hope this isn't the case there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    Positive attitude to take but, as seen at Jacobsburg, Green Lane, and Nockamixon, equestrian activity (and its crap) seems to expand to fill whatever new trail "improved" capacity is created plus it'll continue hanging out on the existing singletracks too. We'll have to continue dismounting while the royal poop parade processionals pass unprovoked. I've never ridden Mt. Penn but I hope this isn't the case there.
    No, Jacobsburg and Mt. Penn are worlds apart. I used to ride J-burg in the mid-90's, when I lived nearby. It sucked then, but it was easy to get to. All the trails were mapped, marked, and buffed - no real challenges. Mt. Penn is 90% primitive trails. Unmarked, unmapped, and very technical.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    That's cool - I'd like to check it out sometime. It sounds more techy than French Creek - maybe similar to some of the stuff on Lehigh University's South Mountain campus in Bethlehem. My original, poorly-worded comment was meant to wonder if there were as many horses at Mount Penn as at Jacobsburg - I'm assuming not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    There are occasional equestrians, but it's not a "destination" for them, per se. I mostly stick to the more technical trails, which are not very horse-friendly. Then again, I'm often amazed at where I see horse poo!