mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Mt Penn Reading PA Trail work weekend

Trail Maintenance Weekend
    Saturday, December 3rd
    Sunday, December 4th
    9:00AM TO 12:00PM-LUNCH-12:30PM To 3:30PM
    Attend 1/2 day, whole day and/or both days!!!

If interested email:
    fredmoreadith@comcast.net

Meet at the Fire Tower Parking Lot on Saturday
    Sunday meeting spot to be determined.

Goals:
    Rake leaves, pickup tree debris, move small loose rocks,
    remove safely hazards like broken limbs and fallen trees.

On the single track trails, double track, and fire roads
    6 to 8 person crews. 7-8 Crews would be preferred to cover all of the trails.
    Crew Leaders should have knowledge of all the single track on City, County and Township lands.

Tools:
    1. A rake....flexible metal rakes work best or Leaf Blower
    2. a small hand clipper (at least two people on the crew)
    3. a small hand saw (at least two people on the crew)
    4. Safely Glasses
    5. Bright clothing (hunters are out this time of year)
    6. Water and snack foods
    7. One person should have a cell phone for the crew
    If you need any of the above, please notify me and I will do my best to provide.
    Additional items.....
    Two Chain saws per crew
    3 Blowers per crew

Safety First:
    Each person attending is responsible for there own safety, liability and medical insurance. If you attend, you understand that this is rough terrain. You are responsible for providing yourself with water and snacks, just as you would when using the trails.

Lunch Break at the Fire Tower:
    Sandwiches, chips, snacks, water provided by Trail Coordinators.

*The areas to be covered will be governed by Lower Alsace Township, City of Reading, County of Berks, and Berks Conservancy responses in granting of permission to access trails in each jurisdiction.
    Video Production for Energy & The Environment
    www.levelaproductions.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    bump

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'll be there. And thinking of bringing my son to get some community service time in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    rode the trails we cleaned the other day..sweet! I'm planning on goint out Sunday for a few hours to clean off Sting like a Bee trail and some more of figure 8's. Gotta get these trails cleaned!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The newly cleared trails are very sweet indeed! Great work!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have woodcutters open from the lower end up to the fork in the trail at sting like a bee it just needs to be leaf blown or raked there is one large tree down and I think we will just make a go around maybe Sunday the 27th I can hit sting like a bee down to the lower end of woodcutters or the cut off on sting like a bee is a old 4 wheeler trail I think, if I can find it

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    woodcutters is now marked with white paint from the lower end up to the split at sting like a bee, sting like a bee is marked with orange and the off shoot is marked orange with a white spot that will take you back down across wood cutters.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    This weekend!

Nickel Havr
    I'll be riding on Sunday...
    Will crews be indicating that there is work going on?
    I don't want to run into anyone on accident...
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    There will be crews out almost anywhere depending on what we accomplish on sat,better yet come out and join us,we can always use more help,and there is no better way to get to know the sweet spots and or off the beaten path trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks to all who helped out this weekend. Mt Penn really got hammered by the fall storms this year. The great turnout made easy work of all the downfalls on the mountain.
    Ride On!

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by bbohr View Post
    Thanks to all who helped out this weekend. Mt Penn really got hammered by the fall storms this year. The great turnout made easy work of all the downfalls on the mountain.
    Ride On!
    The trails look good!
    Thanks to everyone that put in the time to clean them up!
    There has been plenty to do the past few months!

Anyone take any pics up there?

Here is one from work I did on Neversink...

(I was feeling low tech and left the chainsaw at home)

BTW: The new gap over A-Line looks sick!
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckstream1 View Post
    The trails look good!
    Thanks to everyone that put in the time to clean them up!
    There has been plenty to do the past few months!

Anyone take any pics up there?

Here is one from work I did on Neversink...

(I was feeling low tech and left the chainsaw at home)

BTW: The new gap over A-Line looks sick!
    that gap over a-line does look sick! we were up there yesterday after a saturday of trail cleanup. Did about 13+ miles up there. Is there any good riding on the Neversink side??

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiek118 View Post
    that gap over a-line does look sick! we were up there yesterday after a saturday of trail cleanup. Did about 13+ miles up there. Is there any good riding on the Neversink side??
    Neversink is ok...
    It's mostly fire roads but there is a good long downhill run that I like.
    You should come over and check it out sometime!

Nickel Havr
    So how sick is this double?

The new run along A-Line is so sick!

Good job guys!

Nickel Havr
    Also grabbed a pic of the switchback berm....

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    So....how did it feel to hit it! not really as difficult as it looks,from dead start at top let go no braking and it takes you right into transition.

Nickel Havr
    It was so scary rolling into it the first time!
    But yeah... So smooth and very easy to hit!

Looks like someone wrecked though... I found a piece of someones visor laying by the picnic table!

EDIT: That whole new trail along A-Line is awesome... Very easy to carry speed and very smooth!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Nice! yea...a young buck completely nosed cased it but no harm done,hard to believe there is a pic on facebook the boy was blessed! went back up and nailed it.

Nickel Havr
    Well I'm glad the kid wasn't hurt... And got up to do it again!
    Can you post the pic up here? Or how do I find it?

mtbr member

Looks great

was just checking out some you tube video of Mt penn last night. def need to hit it up this
    spring. wouldnt mind a guided tour. From NEPA. Anyway place looks good & its nice to see another post on the PA page other than...THE MOON
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Love to give tours. Anytime you want to come down. I've been wanting to ride the Moon for a long time. Hit me up whenever your ready.

Nickel Havr
    Same here... I'm always down to show someone around!
    Mt. Penn really has something for everyone!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Eddie K is the bestest tour guide ever!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    If you want the ultimate six inch bike tech ride guide,contact me here.have been putting together some interesting play lines here at Mt Penn.

Nickel Havr
    I found a new tech trail yesterday... It had a log skinny on it and the trail was recently cleared!

<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/140585987'></iframe>

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have never gotten up there.. grew up in mt. gretna, but now that half the trails are closed i've been looking for a new spot.. I'm definitely thinking of getting up there soon but am not familiar with the area at all, but it sounds sweet.. I don't know how this was hidden from me for so long

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    It's not for the faint of heart!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Definitely looks solid on videos and pictures i've uncovered.. I'm planning on riding somewhere Sunday, but I was planning on heading to governor dick.. How do these trails fair with this kind of weather (mt penn)? I ride a SC Heckler (6") that is not built up very light, so I'd be looking for more of the DH/FR trails.. But the last thing I want to do is go ride a trail I shouldn't be on in these conditions

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Governor Dick ten fold,much,much more tech too,six inch paradise! rode today was a bit soft but the high winds today help to dry it up,by Sunday should be somewhat better.bunch of us will be doing shuttle runs Sunday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I may try to come up on Sunday then.. Didn't want to go trash someone's trails by riding them when they're soft.. i've been on the receiving end of that too many times

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Mt. Penn was in good shape today. Will be better tomorrow. A few soft spots, but I still finished cleaner than when I started.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I got up there today. rode a little bit with some xc guys that were at the lot when I pulled up then made a run with the guys shuttling.. That place is unreal.. Thanks guys whoever showed me around some.. Definitely a great group of riders up there

(I was the one that snapped my bars off the last drop)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gretnardr View Post
    I got up there today. rode a little bit with some xc guys that were at the lot when I pulled up then made a run with the guys shuttling.. That place is unreal.. Thanks guys whoever showed me around some.. Definitely a great group of riders up there

(I was the one that snapped my bars off the last drop)
    Glad you enjoyed it. Sorry about your bars. Hope you're OK. Saw a bunch of Gretna area riders on Sat. Sun. was a magical day out there. Had a great ride with a great group from Phila., Reading, Lancaster, Hershey, then had some great food and beer at Mountain Springs restaurant. There's several other good places to dine nearby too.

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by tduro View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it. Sorry about your bars. Hope you're OK. Saw a bunch of Gretna area riders on Sat. Sun. was a magical day out there. Had a great ride with a great group from Phila., Reading, Lancaster, Hershey, then had some great food and beer at Mountain Springs restaurant. There's several other good places to dine nearby too.
    I think I saw you guys up there...
    I was running the new line... And a HUGE group of riders were dropping into A-Line by the log ride.

Just have a quick vid...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q6342glbJTU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/145282758'></iframe>

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I faired pretty well.. Somehow got a little gash/bruise on my forehead even with my fullface... Bike should be fixed today and hopefully I'll be back up that way this weekend.. I may never ride in gretna again...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Even though Mt. Penn is completely amazing, trail 15 at Gretna is still one of my all time favorites, and I plan to hit it on Saturday am...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Ray View Post
    Even though Mt. Penn is completely amazing, trail 15 at Gretna is still one of my all time favorites, and I plan to hit it on Saturday am...
    I agree, but not worth the trip for the rest of it,have you seen or ridden any of my rock/bolder sections? just recently completed three new lines,much more difficult the trail 15.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Now that 12 is closed to bikes, 4,15 and 13 are really the only decent trails there in my opinion at Gretna.
    Still a cool place, and actually closer to me than Mt. Penn.
    Dane, Every time I am at Mt. Penn we end up somewhere that I have never seen Especially when I am with you or Eddie...
    Camp Mack is a great place to ride too, and only 15 minutes from my house....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I grew up in mt. gretna, and spent years at that place.. I was really into dirt jumping back then, and we used to rebuild the jump by the store (it seemed like weekly) after it got destroyed, as well as a few trails/jumps that we had built throughout gretna that noone really knew about.. 12 was always by far my favorite trail.. Riding a 6 inch bike that is a bit overweight (like the rider) once I get off of 4 I feel like i'm off my bike half the time I'm on 15, althought i've never ridden it the other direction. I used to ride the trail that went out along the shooting range of the sportsman's club.. Not sure what happened to that exactly, but back in the late 90's it was by far my favorite ride, but I think a lot was lost soon after that to the big house at the bottom or something.. It's been so long I don't quite remember how it went to be honest.. Although that's what happens when you move away and go to college and stop riding during that time