mtbr member

Mt. Penn, Reading, PA

I did the Ugly Mudder Trail Run last weekend, which runs over the trails on Mt. Penn in Reading. There were quite a few build-ups and the trails seemed like they would offer some sweet riding. Does anyone have any beta on the riding up there? Access issues, suggested trails, good parking spots, etc?

mtbr member
    Is that were they used to have the running and mtb races on the same day? There was some "race series" out there where they had a running event and a mountain bike race on the same day. I think there was even a "biathlon" category if you did both or you could do it as a team (1 runner + 1 biker). This was back in the mid to late 90's so maybe it was somewhere else, but it was close to Reading.

---
    Jan 2007
    I've ridden up there a bunch but still don't know all the trails. The Reading side of Mt Penn has a bunch on trails, most go across the mt but some cut up and down. They don't see a lot of action so the deadfall and leaf cover can get thick. Last time I road it I was reminded why I haven't for a while.

With that said the backside of the mt heading down towards Angelica Lake is much better. Right off of Skyline Drive a few freeride trails cut off into the woods. Down by the model airplane field theres a yellow blazed trail the goes down to the lake a couple of miles away. There's a few other trails that branch off of this that run somewhate parralel to skyline drive. Once closer to Angelica Lake theres a few other trails that loop around. It's not a big area but most of the trails are unmarked. Private land is definately posted.

I'd recomend parking by the Nature Center at Angelica and heading uphill from there. Don't park along Skyline Drive.
    lockring not included - mandatory blog link in the signature

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    All the trails up there a product of Dane and the Reading Racing crew. The DH runs are to many to list and they all are top of the line quality.

The XC loops are sweet and tech. Again all most all of these are from Dane. There are alot of trails that people don't no about.

The running races pimp all our trals. Don't let them fool you they are all made by Reading Racing. Ron Horn better not be taking credit.

And by the way when you run in thoose races up there please to not run on the lips of the jumps or landings you are killing all the hard work that gets put in to it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like one of those hidden treasure type places. No worries about wrecking the free-ride stuff by the runners. The trails were covered in bullet proof ice (made for an interesting run) Good thing Ron had two beer stops in the woods at mile 4 and 5.5(he puts on a great event for drinkers with a running problem). Also, only saw a couple abandoned looking stunts, so they probably run the race on the opposite side of the mountain from the sweet stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm reading trails

the best trail (fu) was built by dave,piker and tony,it has a 30ft. wall ride.as a matter a fact all 3 of the trails by skyline wern't made by dane or rr ,all dane has done lately is unfinished cross country trails,sweet but need work.reading racing have been to busy racing to even fix a lip in 2 frikin years! so get it right patches you rode what 3 times in 2 years. when is the last time you picked a shovel up?yeh thought so!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Freerideu...First of all it's fruitless to get into a pissing match about who built what trails,but in defense...they are for the enjoyment of all.Dane and Reading Racing don't claim to have built all of the trails,and to claim that certain trails are " the best" is delusional,all the trails in that area have unique traits and sweet spots. these three other builder's have been missing in action for some time now,and all maintainence and improvements have been atributed to the Reading crew and other's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm trails

no pissin here , just facts, you are right there are alot of good trails.if thery are working on the trails they better get on it . the place has been bad for a while,do you have trail maintinace times and places?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey how about i pick you up for shuttling. It should be a blast lots of fun. If you are looking for props great job . The scene up there is blowing up right now. the fu you trail does have it all fast, flowie and a wall ride that everybody hits right dave hey good luck and thanks for the hard work and time you have spent up on the mtn riding and doing work

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It allways gets alittle rough in the summer months, but it's more then that alone.the whole dh and fr scene is falling into a decline again,shutteling is tired and costly.and if you or anybody else want to take over maintainence of dh tails be my quest.but I see them all reverting to cross country trails in the near future.cross country and pedaling is alive and well and the push will be to draw more cross country riders to the area.

Uphill hater
    Quote Originally Posted by readingracing
    It allways gets alittle rough in the summer months, but it's more then that alone.the whole dh and fr scene is falling into a decline again,shutteling is tired and costly.and if you or anybody else want to take over maintainence of dh tails be my quest.but I see them all reverting to cross country trails in the near future.cross country and pedaling is alive and well and the push will be to draw more cross country riders to the area.
    I hope not! But it'd figure with my luck. Just got a DH bike, went to Diablo and fell in love with the riding. I had this bug sparked ever since I moved to the Lehigh Valley and went to the Duyrea race in 2005(6)? Finally got the $$ to get into it and would love to be able to ride somewhere closer than northern NJ and now the scene is falling into decline? Changing to XC trails? Dammit.
    Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

My blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

better not change

better not change the freeride/dh trails,it's the only good thing about reading/berks!cause it sure is not the people,see ya on the trails patch,i will talk to you then.to anybody that cares dh/ freeride sat and sunday at 1:00 might be some spinning / pushing and blood lots and lots of blood! no maintanace times? thought so!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by freerideu
    better not change the freeride/dh trails,it's the only good thing about reading/berks!cause it sure is not the people,see ya on the trails patch,i will talk to you then.to anybody that cares dh/ freeride sat and sunday at 1:00 might be some spinning / pushing and blood lots and lots of blood! no maintanace times? thought so!

Wow , Wow, you will see me on the trail. Why so angry. You are supposed to enjoy riding remember. It should be a fun thing to do. Thats why you do it right because you enjoy your time out rippen it up and riding hard. Hey if i could give you some advice I would suggest that you bubble rap your bike so that you don't get any scratches on it

This is my last post, because this is getting old just like the dh/freeride scene. Good luck and when you go up to mt. penn remember that you are supposed to ride your bike and not watch everyone else.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Unfortunatley,I don't see any other alterntative,the riders don't frequent the area anymore,and the city is questioning the jumps and stunts,and are hot about a certain trail builder who was cutting down trees to make runs and spraying fu on rocks,
    because of Reading Racings notority,the back lash is directed at us and then we have to smooth things over,gets tired!the future is cross country and trail riding,and we have a great area for that,there are alot more dedicated riders and the city is open to pursuing that avenue,so people better get your FR riding in while the runs still exist.all things change and it's time to move on,better to lose some jumps then lose riding there entirely.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

trails

fist - the trail markings were fixed as soon as i seen them,dead issue i talk to the parks dept. too. second if you want to talk down to me get off your knees! this is suppost to be about ridin , not cheap shot"s so grow up see ya on the trails!third:they where *****in about your race stunt you didnt take down,again dead issue.four:so anybody have anything else?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freerideu
    fist - the trail markings were fixed as soon as i seen them,dead issue i talk to the parks dept. too. second if you want to talk down to me get off your knees! this is suppost to be about ridin , not cheap shot"s so grow up see ya on the trails!third:they where *****in about your race stunt you didnt take down,again dead issue.four:so anybody have anything else?
    Shut the F-up already . I didn't see you put on a race this year. Did I?

I'd like to thank the RR guys for there work. I'm outta here! Fahn

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

... and if we just ... and from the peanut gallery

thankx for chimmin in

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

cutting

no one that i know of has ever cut a living tree on mnt.penn to make a trail! deadfall only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!get it .so you can stop the rumors now. that's a good way to get it closed for everyone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Piker and or helpers definitely cut Mountain laurel down" Pa state tree"and it was notable on a couple of his runs and thats exactly where the city and park officials pointed them out to us,before you spew know your facts,and the only real rumor is that you actually ride.and if you like I can set up a meeting with Kyle and Corrie to discuss your part in helping Piker build those runs.

Uphill hater

OK, well, maybe not..

Wow! This is a GD shame. I live less than 26 miles from Reading and would love to have a place to ride my DH bike, but I guess not. Guess I'll rethink my ideas about coming down there and trying to hook up and ride because it sounds like the typical scene...a few people ruining things for the people that put work and time into something. Don't know any of the details so I'll stay out of the aurgument.

I do know plenty of Dh riders from the LV and have been to the races put on by RR. Nothing but good things said and seen by this group.

It's a shame that in a lot of places, asshats give this kind of riding a bad front.

Rant over. Guess I'll keep driving to f'n NJ all the time.
    Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

My blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

dane you do not run the mtn.it's everyone's

you cut stuff down for ten years.so you can eat s t too buddy,isnt your team dead ? so why do you care? if you want the meeting i can show them lots. . get a life ! this is punkass s t . i'm out f-off
    Last edited by freerideu; 09-07-2007 at 02:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I never cut a live tree down to build a run and am well known to be border line obsessive about not cutting live tree's!,and by the way no one snitched anyone I never let on as to who it was, I said I'd take care of it.your right about one thing It's useless debating with you,your too defensive and about what I don't know?If you read my previous threads they were constructive and not attacking anyone and just stating facts.and evidently by some of these reply's rr still get's support and respect.but then respect is not a givin it has to be earned.
    Last edited by readingracing; 09-06-2007 at 06:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

stupid ****

this was a display off stupid high school **** ! from me to! i'm not proud of the way any of us talk to each other. my kids act more mature than this!the way i see it. patch is a ***** .dane you jumped in because he's your teammate or is he really? look how he just had to keep it up.yea that"s good sportsmenship. and we'll you all know i am a *******. that doesen't take anybody's ****!so i must say good day sir, i said good day.