mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Mt. Gretna - Gov. Dick

I'm going to ride here later this afternoon for the first time. I have a trail map but am not familiar with the trail system at all. Any suggested routes?

mtbr member
    Good first ride would be: starting at Pinch road parking area, take trail 5 to trail 13, trail 13 to trail 15, and trail 15 to the educational center. From the educational center you can ride back to the Pinch Road parking area.

my church is the woods
    starting from pinch road...3,2,1,4,15,13,5,10,9,5

make sure you go down trail 4 (from 1), and trail 15 is great to hit in both directions!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the advice guys....i'm looking forward to it. I love exploring new trails. Any idea of ride length on either of those routes? I don't want to run out of light. I won't be able to get there after work until about 5 or so.

mtbr member
    The route I posted should take 2 hours +/- depending on how you ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by moonraker
    starting from pinch road...3,2,1,4,15,13,5,10,9,5

make sure you go down trail 4 (from 1), and trail 15 is great to hit in both directions!

That is the exact same route I take and it is a very good one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrotherSoup
    The route I posted should take 2 hours +/- depending on how you ride.

Great. Is it pretty technical and hilly? I'm just curious. I just started mountain biking. I've been to Rocky Ridge a few times and to Marsh Creek. 2 hours will be a nice ride...that's about how long I like to get out after work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Trail 15 is definitely not for beginners, but you can walk your bike through the really tough stuff.

mtbr member
    Hills aren't bad but 15 is pretty technical in spots.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just got back from riding and I had a blast. I've only been biking for about 2 or 3 weeks now and I was pretty happy with making it through about 80% of trail 15! My goal is to be able to ride that whole thing from end to end without stopping....or falling! haha. The rest of the trails weren't bad. I met up with a guy who was by himself and he took me on a nice route. 5-9-8-1-4-15-13-5. Coming down trail 8 was pretty sweet! All in all it was a pretty good outting since I didn't fall hard enough to keep me from going back! Thanks for the help guys.