Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ^ The Trail Starts Here ^

Wink Mt Bike "ONLY" trails Question.... HUH?

[SIZE="3"]To all:

Just wondering this question:

You know me I always have to throw "it" out there

So where are the Mt. Bike "ONLY" trails?

I mean we have trails for Hikers, Snowmoblies, Bird Watchers, Areas to Hunt. Some of which Mt biking is "NOT" allowed. I guess the only places we can Mt Bike and be left alone are the Pay to Ride areas.

So this expands on 2 more questions:

1.Where or why aren't hikers charged to hike in some places? Dumb question? I guess at Bushkill Falls is a Pay to Hike area.

2. Why aren't there places where hikers and others would be fined if they were caught on Mt Bike trails? Why do I ask? Dunno! I just do..........

Please don't give me the "Walking" is the basic form of transportation story. Cave men are all dead or in Geico commercials. We don't need to walk to get anywhere now a days. We can ride or drive something to get anywhere.

Don't get me started on Road Biking! I have to pay to ride my motorcycle on the same road a bicyclist can ride for free and hold up traffic by riding in the "MIDDLE" of the road. At least Motorcycles go "FAST"........ Road Cyclist's "Not all" don't even wear a freek'in helmets....... Yes, I know motorcyclists don't have to where helmets either now in PA. Thanks "HARLEY" riders!......... Yes I road bike also!

Next I pick on: Why are there so Many Manhole covers in Wyoming Valley roads? You can have a manhole right next to another. What... does the other one that is 4 feet away go to a different country? Why 2 or 3 manholes in the same 8 foot circle area? Why are they right where we drive or ride? Put them over where the sewer grates are. Anyone for a "Standardization of Man Hole covers?"

So where were we? Oh ya.......Now go enjoy your day!

Watch where you walk! [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

Inbred Homebrewer
    I couldn't address all of those questions if I had all day to do so, but here are some thoughts:

1. you think too much.

2. As you said, if you want to ride a mountain bike on MTB-only trails, yes - you have to pay for your 'solitude'. Essentially, it boils down to paying someone for the privilege to ride on their land, paying for maintenance, signage, maps, liability insurance, etc. or some combination of those things. Kingdom Trails in VT are a prime example of this. They're mountain bike trails, built and maintained by bikers, for bikers w/ cooperation of local (private) landowners - except in winter, then it's XC ski and snowmobile access only. There will never be 'MTB-only' trails on public land, because how would you enforce it? Hikers get their 'own' trails, either because the land was set aside specifically for that purpose and is maintained by hikers (see: AT), or the trails pass through ecologically sensitive areas that would not hold up well under heavy MTB traffic. Equestrians get trails where bikes aren't permitted in some state parks because the trails are too narrow to allow safe passage of bikes & horses. Frankly, given the amount of manure and post-holing the horses leave behind, I'm content to leave them to their own trails...

I'm not touching your roadbike rant, except to say this: The argument that you 'pay' for the roads while they do not is stupid. Unless they have no license or car, they're paying all of the same license and registration renewal fees, insurance, tolls, and everything else that you are.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    If some of these areas that have multiple use trails, that have conflict with sharing trail use between hikers and bikers, they should just make "bike only" trails and "hike only" trails. A perfect example is Mt. Gretna. They are trying to limit the trails that you can bike on, they should limit where you can hike as well. If they want to seperate everyone, they should do it for real, and let only bikers use the new trail they will be building. And if they want to persecute bikers for riding on "foot travel only trails", then they should do the same for hikers on the bike trail.

Sorry to rant a little, but the politics just gets under my skin. I don't know why we all can't just work togther, and share all the land.

Dr. Bike
    Mar 2006
    Moraine State Park has a mountain bike only trail. You will see the occasional hiker but horses are off limits.
    If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot !

Good job!

[SIZE="3"]To all:

You mean all those stories I have sent to PSYCOLOGY MONTHLY haven't been read?

Yes.......... Thinking too much is better than "NOT" thinking. Thus the reason for this RANT. People don't think enough.......

I just wanted to add... Hikers not only have the trails, but in the State Park they are allowed to travel off trails and use the entire area to hike, along with their 4 legged friends who are supposed to be leashed, unless they are a hunting DOG!. Please explain the difference there? DOG= leash... HUNTING DOG= run free get in way of Mt Bikers!

Things need to change in a BIG way. You don't see hikers on the Allegheny trail system designed for Motorcycle and Quads. That is a permitted "pay and ride" area.

Am I picking on Hikers? NO WAY!

I want "FREE" Mt Bike only trails! No Bird Watchers, No Back to Nature Hikers, No Horses, No Doggies, Cats, Camels, or others!!!!!!
    Just Wheels... No Heals, Paws, Shoes!

Stick:
    I pay for automobiles as well as motorcycles to permit me to use the roads. So where do road bicyclists get off as different? They have to follow all the rules of the road and are considered a legal vehicle of the road. When you go for an auto drivers license a motorcycle license isn't included. It's extra!

Snowmoblies, Quads, Motorcycles all pay for use. People who drive these vehicles usually have to "TRUCK" or TRAILER + MORE (money in fees) them to a place to use them with the exception of road legal motorcycles or use on private land where the vehicle is being stored.

Todd: "Quote"
    "And if they want to persecute bikers for riding on "foot travel only trails", then they should do the same for hikers on the bike trail."

NICE!

If I think some more I might not "FALL" in the open Man hole ahead!..................LOL

[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005
    Every trail is a hiker trail because the majority rules. 10% (prob too generous) of the population own a mt bike, but most anyone could call themselves a "hiker"

Equestrians are able to make a lot of noise for a small group because of simple economics. It takes money to own horses and money talks.

Inbred Homebrewer
    I have a motorcycle license too, thanks. And, yes, I pay to renew it every year, too. But are you really proposing a 'bicycle license'? Bicycle registration? Bicycle toll roads? This aspect of your rant baffles me. You and I already pay twice for the privilege to operate cars and motorcycles on the road, and now you want to see bicycles come with more fees?

Sorry, but you're losing me. Added fees would only discourage people from using a bicycle for transportation. On top of that, if significantly **more** people in this country would leave their cars & trucks at home in favor of bicycles, roads would be less expensive to build and maintain. Sounds like you're just pissed because you have to slow down for or pass cyclists on the road. . . but it wouldn't hurt to think that you're a lot more likely to survive a motorcycle collision with a cyclist than you are with the SUV he probably drives when he's not riding.

In other words, share the road. Don't pretend you own it.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Did anyone here read the article in this last months "BIKE" magazine, about the riding in Norway?

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd@gretnabikes
    Did anyone here read the article in this last months "BIKE" magazine, about the riding in Norway?
    Didn't see the article, but from what I know of Norway, Sweden, and Switzerland (and probably much of Europe in general), I think I can guess what it said. . . that the trails run almost exclusively through 'private' land, but the 'angry landowner' and the notion of 'tresspassing' are virtually non-existent, the trails are free and open to all, the concept of not being 'allowed' to ride a trail is baffling to the locals, etc etc...

A virtual utopia for trail riding, but the beer is insanely expensive!

Am I close?

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Didn't see the article, but from what I know of Norway, Sweden, and Switzerland (and probably much of Europe in general), I think I can guess what it said. . . that the trails run almost exclusively through 'private' land, but the 'angry landowner' and the notion of 'tresspassing' are virtually non-existent, the trails are free and open to all, the concept of not being 'allowed' to ride a trail is baffling to the locals, etc etc...

A virtual utopia for trail riding, but the beer is insanely expensive!

Am I close?
    pretty much right on. From the way it sounds, everyone there is just respectful of each other, and that means no problems.

Good job!

I have a motorcycle license too, thanks. And, yes, I pay to renew it every year, too. But are you really proposing a 'bicycle license'? Bicycle registration? Bicycle toll roads? This aspect of your rant baffles me. You and I already pay twice for the privilege to operate cars and motorcycles on the road, and now you want to see bicycles come with more fees?

Sorry, but you're losing me. Added fees would only discourage people from using a bicycle for transportation. On top of that, if significantly **more** people in this country would leave their cars & trucks at home in favor of bicycles, roads would be less expensive to build and maintain. Sounds like you're just pissed because you have to slow down for or pass cyclists on the road. . . but it wouldn't hurt to think that you're a lot more likely to survive a motorcycle collision with a cyclist than you are with the SUV he probably drives when he's not riding.

In other words, share the road. Don't pretend you own it.
    [SIZE="3"]Stick:

I'm not pissed at anyone or thing, just throwing out conversation from a different perspective. We always have great conversations on stuff like this. Lot's of opinions and info abound. Not picking on anyone! I just see things way different than others. Probably from racing motorcycles and always trying to find a different way to go faster or be better.

Yes......... I do go out of my way to allow road cyclist the right of way! I know the feeling from their point of view as far a surviving out there goes. Even if it is the rogue, who rides in the middle of the road. Not a problem with me. It was more ironic years ago when motorcyclists had to wear helmets, yet on the same road the cyclist didn't.

Back in the 1970s the state was on the verge of bicycle highways and license and registrations. This was considered due to the gas crunch. Will we see it arise again?

Yes... I can back you up on the trespassing thing. Moray who posts here on the board is from Scotland, and he told me he was amazed to ride here in the US because he couldn't understand all the posting of land. He said in Scotland there is no such thing as trespass. You ride as you wish and be respectful about your actions.... Common Sense of course!

I'm not for paying more, who is? But, the aspect or road cycling just baffles me. I guess it's one of the freedoms we have as Americans.

And as your SIG line says. Don't own the road, yet we have all ridden or seen the Spandex Labeled, I've got Ti, Carbon, Dura Ace, Campy, 15.8lbs Monkey who feels the truck can do no harm to him if he rides Wide and Proud.

jvp108 Every trail is a hiker trail because the majority rules. 10% (prob too generous) of the population own a mt bike, but most anyone could call themselves a "hiker"

.................Every kid has a bike and legs.................lol......... Just gotta show'em Mt Biking is the way to go!

[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd@gretnabikes
    pretty much right on. From the way it sounds, everyone there is just respectful of each other, and that means no problems.
    Talk to people from other countries about Americans, and one of the common themes that comes up is that we're very self-centered - especially with regard to our "rights". We have a Bill of Rights, civil rights, etc. and we're always defensive (to a fault) of [our] right to do this or that... but slow to recognize the rights of others to do what they want in the same space. And if they want to do something that disturbs what 'we' want to do? All hell breaks loose. We curse roadies for going to slow, horses and dogs for crapping in the woods, horse riders for being too lazy to walk, hikers for not yielding the trail, on and on and on... It's something that, as far as I can tell, is a uniquely American phenomenon.

People may argue with me, but it's true. Collectively, we probably look like a spoiled-brat crybaby to the rest of the world. "And if you don't like the way I cry, go 'head and do something about it. I'll kick your @ss!!!!!!!"

It's equal parts funny and pathetic, really.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Talk to people from other countries about Americans, and one of the common themes that comes up is that we're very self-centered - especially with regard to our "rights". We have a Bill of Rights, civil rights, etc. and we're always defensive (to a fault) of [our] right to do this or that... but slow to recognize the rights of others to do what they want in the same space. And if they want to do something that disturbs what 'we' want to do? All hell breaks loose. We curse roadies for going to slow, horses and dogs for crapping in the woods, horse riders for being too lazy to walk, hikers for not yielding the trail, on and on and on... It's something that, as far as I can tell, is a uniquely American phenomenon.

People may argue with me, but it's true. Collectively, we probably look like a spoiled-brat crybaby to the rest of the world. "And if you don't like the way I cry, go 'head and do something about it. I'll kick your @ss!!!!!!!"

It's equal parts funny and pathetic, really.
    That cracks me up, we are on the same page

Good job!

[SIZE="3"]To all:

I see and hear all views.............. yet It's "MY WAY or the HIGHWAY!"

Isn't that the American way. I'm driving the worst gas guzzler..and I don't care if gas is 10 bucks a gallon, while talk'in on my Cell phone, eating a FAT quad decker Burger!

F.... everyone I'm an Ameican!
    Proud of it!

Did I forget anything?
    I own a GEO Metro that get's 60 MPG and is deadly slow almost to the point road cyclists pass me all the time! Damn American Squirrels under the hood...you would think they try harder!

[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

Trail eater
    posts like these usually go in this direction

Your right , some real nice intelligent comments made but as soon as you wrote (cut and pasted)

quote"yet It's "MY WAY or the HIGHWAY!" and quote"F.... everyone I'm an Ameican!
    Proud of it!"
    well I think you begin to lose credibility in what your saying and believe.
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by electric mustard
    posts like these usually go in this direction

Your right , some real nice intelligent comments made but as soon as you wrote (cut and pasted)

quote"yet It's "MY WAY or the HIGHWAY!" and quote"F.... everyone I'm an Ameican!
    Proud of it!"
    well I think you begin to lose credibility in what your saying and believe.
    [SIZE="3"] Hey Mustard:

Your Aussie aren't you? I don't feel that way Just kinda the jist you always see or hear from people, and everyday they prove it.

I'm American and proud of it, but I ride Japanese, and Spanish motorcycles as well as Mt bikes made elsewhere. The only F... it you hear from me is at the top of a great downhill or really cool jump![/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

Uphill hater
    Take Lee seriously at your own risk! :-) Having met him once, he is an All -American proponent of FUN!!!
    Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

My blog

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by gunner1
    Take Lee seriously at your own risk! :-) Having met him once, he is an All -American proponent of FUN!!!

[SIZE="3"] Gunner:

Fun is the main game!

Thank GOD you only met me ONCE for your sake.....lol

How are you? Doing any rides? I'm coming down your way for a tour this year. How's the boy is he beat'in the heck out of ya yet? You know getting old means getting a motorcycle or quad. It makes it much easier to carry BEER also.............lol

C ya bud! [/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

Uphill hater
    Working full time down in Southern Maryland full time and comuting back to God's country on weekends. No hills down here so the climbs are way easier! Dalton is leading me on every ride and waiting on me! Good to see you still stirrin' it up!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    it is all due too the ignorance and arrogance of most of the american public! the only good thing is that thae are too lazy too get off their butts and ride a bike.as soon as more people start commuting by bicycle,bam registration fees will begin.all of this thinking just makes me want too fire up the cr500 with the new terraflex and have at it.long live the 2 stroke and ss muntainbikes.

... and if we just ...

[SIZE="3"]We have:

Upgraded to a FMF, CR 500 AF 2WD with a Dunlop D803Trials Tubeless

Yes "TUBELESS" figure that out!

[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

Uphill hater
    The military figured it out years ago, Lee. Called it "tank tracks"

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by gunner1
    The military figured it out years ago, Lee. Called it "tank tracks"
    [SIZE="3"]Gunner1:

Now your on to something!

Adding them to the CR AF 2 WD would be the Cats A-- minus the CAT!

Meeeeeeeeeow.......Braaapppp... Ping Ping Ping. da ....Ding Ding Ding Braaapp.......
    [/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Proformance Cycle
    [SIZE="3"]We have:

Upgraded to a FMF, CR 500 AF 2WD with a Dunlop D803Trials Tubeless

Yes "TUBELESS" figure that out!

[/SIZE]
    a teraflex still slings more debris! tubeless is easy.alpina wheels!

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by mxer
    a teraflex still slings more debris! tubeless is easy.alpina wheels!
    [SIZE="3"] NOPE

And may I add as usual this post if way off topic "NOW"
    [/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast