lone rider

Moving to State College for a few months

Well, it looks like my job will have me moving from Michigan to State College through the end of the year.

Can anyone give me the low down on this area? Places to live (or avoid) would be quite helpful. I'll be working within a few miles of Penn State's campus for a frame of reference. I'm sure there are many apartments and houses in that area, I'm just trying to locate a good area that's not a party hotspot.

And on to the more important question. How's the riding there?! I need some details!

Thanks to all you locals
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

mtbr member
    Lots of great riding around State College, hell of a fun place too. Check out :
    http://www.nittanymba.net/
    http://www.mtnittanywheelworks.com/

Bob
    I'm just a regular guy...
    A regular hardworking motivated complicated occasionally pissed-off t-shirt guy
    - Lance Armstrong

HopHeads, Unite!
    Riding kicks ass around there. Rothrock State Forest, Black Moshannon, Bald Eagle State Forest, RB Winter State Park . . .

You'll have a great time. Check out the websites above, for sure. The guys at Mt. Nittany are good peeps and love the sport.

Brewpub in town--Otto's--good brews.

Enjoy...
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

banned
    Check out some of my postings on Rothrock. Highly recommended. A great city and if I didn't move overseas, I'd be in SC.

Some of the nicest mtbers I've ever met as well.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    As far as places to live, it is a college town and most leases run at least 9 months, but im sure you can find something shorter but prob a bit more expensive. I would check out the Toftrees area. The Apartment Store also has rentals all over town. Theres really no bad places other than I would not want to be in "beaver canyon" the high rises right downtown. If you could find something in Boalsburg, that would be your best proximity to the best riding area, that being Rothrock, and still only maybe 4 miles on the bike path to downtown or wherever, but not much in the way of rentals out that way.
    we have club group rides on wed eve at 6pm and there is another group ride at 5:30 on tuesdays to get you familiar with some of the stuff. we generally keep riding till there is too much snow on the ground, just put on the lights for the evening rides in the fall. Just hope you like rocks!

lone rider
    Well it sounds like I'll be quite happy in terms of the mountain biking out there. I figured it was good riding, but I'm glad it sounds pretty organized with regular group rides. There isn't many rocks up here in Michigan, only sand! I can't wait to get away from pesky stuff.

I'll start looking into apartments this weekend. My trip may be shorter than I thought, so I might just be living out of a cheap hotel. I can live with the maid service though!

nmba guy, I'll get in contact with you when I get down there for a ride. I'll be sure to patronize Mt. Nittany for my needs!

Thanks everyone, I look forward to hitting some trails down there!
    --Bill Hicks

banned
    If you want rocks, that's what you're going to find plenty of. Fantastic place and you'll have climbs like crazy. One thing I was amazed about was seeing how much people can do on full rigids.

Just amazing. Great city and great energy out there. Also head to the police station because they have info about the city, everything from maps to how to start a business there on racks.

I also don't know the factuality behind it, but you may have to register your commuting bike with the police. I had a form for it somewhere. Don't know how many people bother.

lone rider
    Thanks for that info. I'll look into registering my commuting bike. I need a bigger car, mine will barely hold two bikes, let alone clothes and work stuff for a few months!

I'm on a geared 29er, so I bet that will help with the abundance of rocks. I don't know anything about rocks, so I suppose it's time for me to learn.

Hopefully I can catch Penn State playing, might even have to have my dad make the trip down for it. How big is the local airport?
    --Bill Hicks

mtbr member
    its a small airport like 5 min from town. Enjoy the rothrock rides they are all fun!... ll be around for another year pm if you want to ride some of the trails.