mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Moving to Pittsburgh

I am moving to pittsburgh for work (hot dog vendor), should I buy a new bike for ripping on the local trails? I currently ride a norco downhill rig. I love to jump jumps and ride the logs.

P.S

I am moving from Utah, so I love to ride (in the spring for about 2 months)

mtbr member
    theres not much in the way of downhill/freeride type riding in the Pittsburgh area. there is Rays's mtb park in Ohio and 7 Springs Ski Resort does have a new downhill course. If you go south down to West Virginia there is some better downhill riding, such as Snowshoe ski resort.

so i guess your gonna need a new bike since most of the trails in the Pgh area are very hilly.

Nice no rass
    First of all, you're going to HATE it here if moving from the Rockies. Trust me, I know

On the biking side, keep the Norco. Snowshoe is a 4 hour drive from the Burgh for downhill. Rays is 2 hours for Winter riding and Diablo is an easy 6-ish hour drive. 7 Springs may or may not have decent downhill/freeride. That has yet to be determined and somewhat suspect. The speed goat crew is often seen pedaling long travel rigs around Laurel Mtn where there are quite a few drops and logs to play on. A 5-6" AM rig would do much better around here.

If UT is what you are used to on a long bike you need to look at Laurel Mtn, the stuff in the Brgh will bore you to death, it's all pure XC smooth type stuff.

mtbr member
    Dude, you will not hate it, I moved here from Colorado a year ago and there is plenty of riding.

Sure the trails are shorter, but there are a ton of them! There are trails all over the city, Frick Park, Hartwood Acres, South Park, North Park, Moraine, Apollo... You won't go on a 50 mile epic without driving somewhere though. And you'd want an all mtn bike not a DH bike.

The guys at Thick Bikes are usually on big hit bikes doing jumps and what not, check out DORC . Plus they are some cool guys.

-Joe

Nice no rass
    You've only been here a year, the depression hasn't set in yet Give it time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Rass Goat
    You've only been here a year, the depression hasn't set in yet Give it time.

Ha thats pretty funny, Ive been here 5 years (From Bergen County NJ) I got depressed right away

Now it isnt so bad, low rent, and good Mt Biking. I could move to Florida but Florida is all flat

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I just moved to Pgh as well. I have found the little riding I have had time to do greatly entertaining. And there are some pretty nifty drops in frick park actually. The uphill might be tiring, but it is relatively short at least. I don't know how you can say that it is terrible, I mean it is in the middle of a city and quite good for that.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i've lived in pittsburgh all my life and love riding here - i did recently move closer to the city (about 5 minutes from the southside) and there's a wide variety available. Plus the mountains are relatively close; getting to woods is pretty easy too ;o)
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    if you want downhill riding then just go up to laurel mtn state park and ride down linn runn road. its paved but its real fast, 6 miles straight down.

the pittsburgh area might not be great for downhill riding but for mountainbiking in general i'd say its nearly ideal. i mean within say an hour or so from Pittsburgh there are dozens of really good places to ride. if you dont like riding in southwestern pa then your not a real biker.

Nice no rass
    I never said I didn't like riding here....but comparing here to the rockies (not just for biking or skiing, but life in general) is like comparing apples to horse turds.

The riding here is decent. The riding and lifestyle out there is worlds better. Riding in the 'Burgh? Ehh, it's ok, up here in the Laurel Mtns. is 500 times better IMO and still nowhere close to out West in the Rockies. I certainly would never drive into the 'Burgh to ride anymore with so much better in my back yard.

I'm not saying riding here sucks, but unless you've lived the life out there and ridden out there...well, you just won't "get it".

Standing at ~13,000 feet, above the tree line looking out over the horizon with miles of endless wilderness that takes your breath away compared to standing in Frick Park looking over the Parkway... maybe you get the idea. That doesn't even bring riding terrain into play either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    First of all, you're going to HATE it here if moving from the Rockies. Trust me, I know
    Thats ridiculous.

I just moved here nearly a year ago in October, and this is a biking town, no matter what kind of biking you enjoy. Bike magazine named Pittsburgh as the number one city in the United States for mountain bikers as far as all around quality of life and biking opportunities. I just moved in to a new home less than two blocks from Frick Park and it's a paradise.

Nice no rass
    Bike magazine's editors are clearly on crack.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I never said I didn't like riding here....but comparing here to the rockies (not just for biking or skiing, but life in general) is like comparing apples to horse turds.

The riding here is decent. The riding and lifestyle out there is worlds better. Riding in the 'Burgh? Ehh, it's ok, up here in the Laurel Mtns. is 500 times better IMO and still nowhere close to out West in the Rockies. I certainly would never drive into the 'Burgh to ride anymore with so much better in my back yard.

I'm not saying riding here sucks, but unless you've lived the life out there and ridden out there...well, you just won't "get it".

Standing at ~13,000 feet, above the tree line looking out over the horizon with miles of endless wilderness that takes your breath away compared to standing in Frick Park looking over the Parkway... maybe you get the idea. That doesn't even bring riding terrain into play either.
    it is what it is. you want mountains? the poconos and laurel mountains are close by. heck, go hit up the appalachin trail.

no one is making you stay - the OP is looking for suggestions, not your sob story.

Nice no rass
    Damn yun'z Burghers get testy, lmao.  Lay off the peroghies and kielbassa, it makes you cranky.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Damn yun'z Burghers get testy, lmao.  Lay off the peroghies and kielbassa, it makes you cranky.

no, just hit me on the -wrong- day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

I have done plenty of riding out west, and not everyone gets excited simply because they are at 13000 feet on a big pile of dirt. That is the problem with most of the rockies in colorado they are just boring mountains in comparison to the windrivers, sawtooths, and many other ranges in different states. If you lived in the Denver metroplex, the salt lake area, or Bosie then count me out all are crappy places to live, if you were somewhere else though I will grant you the lifestyel.

mtbr member
    i live in golden co, its pretty, and the trails are good, its also very expensive, and PACKED with yuppies. Pittsburgh sounds like it has alot of good riding IN town and near affordable housing. The people seem very cool, down to earth as well. I would consider moving there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bkalkopf
    i live in golden co, its pretty, and the trails are good, its also very expensive, and PACKED with yuppies. Pittsburgh sounds like it has alot of good riding IN town and near affordable housing. The people seem very cool, down to earth as well. I would consider moving there.
    Contrary to the above poster who mentioned that BIKE magazine must have been on crack, that is exactly why Pittsburgh was rated as high as it was. I am in paradise down here, because there is such a strong bike culture.