mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Moving to Philly from Pittsburgh - working in fishtown - where to live?

Hey folks,

My employer has asked me to move from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia this July to staff a new office they are opening in Fishtown (2424 East York St to be exact). I'm excited about the opportunity and I've already committed to move. However, I really don't know much about Philadelphia (or the mountain biking) and I'd really appreciate any advice or wisdom you have on where to look for an apartment.

I'm 23, single, and looking for a 1 BR apt in the 800-1300 a month range. I'd like to be in a neighborhood that is young, safe-ish, and within biking distance to work while also being an easy drive to some mountain biking.

I've gathered that the nearest MTB trails are going to be in Fairmount park. Right now I'm thinking of the Art Museum area or Northern Liberties. Maybe Fishtown too? Any advice is greatly appreciated, and I look forward to seeing some of you on the trails.

Thanks,
    Kyle

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Wow... great opportunity for you. 23? And living IN Philly? You'll have a great time. TONS to do. Great restaurants. I wish I could help you more on a place to rent. My initial thought was to be "in" the city but outside of the city in Chestnut Hill, etc.
    That being said, you will have riding opportunities in the city (Wissahickon and Belmont) as well as multiple areas within easy driving distance of the city to the north, south, and west. Just poke around here on the PA Forum and there's multiple threads on these "places to ride" from others who have transplanted here.
    Congrats on the new position, and have a great time riding here on the east side of the state!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yeah you won't have to drive to work or to ride mtb if you plan it right.

east falls, mt airy, art museum area... all within biking distance of work and good riding (wissahickon and belmont) i'd figure out how long an acceptable commute is for you and look for a place keeping an eye on both the relative location to belmont plateau and wissahickon.

belmont is tighter and more technical wissahickon is more open faster type riding.

you should not have trouble finding a nice spot in most areas of the city for that price range.

welcome! really good riding community here in philthy! post up if your having trouble finding good dirt once your settled.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the replies. This is exactly the kind of info I figured I could only get from fellow mountain bikers.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I'm living in Fishtown/East Kensington about 5 blocks from where you'll be working. You can't beat the neighborhood for cost of living and things to do at night and at the same time, it's a lot quieter than the No-Libs. The downside is that Fishtown gets infested by hipsters every weekend, but that's preferable to the dipshˇts that invade the northern liberties from NJ every Thursday, Friday & Saturday. Unfortunately, the trails are a little far from here, not to mention to get to either Belmont, Wissahickon or Pennypack from Fishtown by bike, you have to ride through the North Philly ghetto. Fortunately, you can get to at least 16 trails by regional rail, even more if you take the bus and of course, driving, the world is your oyster.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

PA Slayer
    Jun 2010
    Off of Ridge ave in Roxborough accesses some awesome trails. I lived there 6 years ago and was back recently in 2 occasions. I rode both times and realized how much I miss those trails. Some many fun sections and very fast trails.

If you are looking for a rental, I have a house for rent / sale on Pechin St in Roxborough about 5 blocks from the trails.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ajl1567502 View Post
    Off of Ridge ave in Roxborough accesses some awesome trails. I lived there 6 years ago and was back recently in 2 occasions. I rode both times and realized how much I miss those trails. Some many fun sections and very fast trails.

If you are looking for a rental, I have a house for rent / sale on Pechin St in Roxborough about 5 blocks from the trails.
    And, close to good food/night life of Manayunk.....
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!