Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    the main difference between our ganstas and gypsies is that gangstas won't pick your pockets as you walk down the street.
    seriously though, the neighborhoods that you're likely to frequent are safe. Going east from university city to Old City where the Italian consulate is located is very well gentrified and developed. Northern liberties is a nice neighborhood and Fishtown is becoming so hipster-infested, it's annoying. There have been reports of random attacks in Wissahickon, but I wouldn't let that stop you from riding there. It is advisable, however, to ride with a friend at wissahickon, mostly because the trails can be technical, rocky and mildly dangerous, but well worth riding.
    Thanks a lot for all the info you are giving and for the time you are spending in answering all my 'questions' I'm really grateful!
    Happy and relieved to hear that..
    I see..maybe you will the one to show me around.. as I wil owe you one..in exchange a beer is ok?..

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Matte86 View Post
    I hope to see you out there as well..maybe when I settle down we can organize a ride together..
    The Italian Consulate should be between mall street and south street..it should be 40 minutes away from where I will stay..
    Yeah, hit me up about riding

You can actually walk that distance in a little more than 40 minutes. Riding, you'll be able to cover that distance in 15. Once you're here and learning your way around, you'll see it's a small and easily navigated city.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    I wouldn't say University City is about as tame as it can get.... when I was in college, many of my friends got mugged on the UPenn portion of University City (I went to Drexel).
    Man, sorry to hear that. But that can happen anywhere in the city. I still hold my assertion that UC is tame. An incident as you mention, doesn't separate it from any other part of the city as far as risk is concerned. If your friends had been mugged on South Street or at the Piazza, you'd have the same feelings about those areas.

My point is, Matte86 is moving to UC. Allow the dude to enjoy it without making him unduly concerned for his physical well-being...taking away from the diverse enjoyment and experience there is to be had there.

When I was there I wasn't even a student, I worked at the now defunct 40th st. Bike Line, but I had good times with students/other cyclists/bohemians/etc. etc. and people who are in that area from all different backgrounds.

And I wasn't jaded about the people on the outskirts. They're people too.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Thanks a lot for all the info you are giving and for the time you are spending in answering all my 'questions' I'm really grateful!
    Happy and relieved to hear that..
    I see..maybe you will the one to show me around.. as I wil owe you one..in exchange a beer is ok?..
    certainly!
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Yeah, hit me up about riding

You can actually walk that distance in a little more than 40 minutes. Riding, you'll be able to cover that distance in 15. Once you're here and learning your way around, you'll see it's a small and easily navigated city.
    this^^^

maybe we can do a group ride to welcome Matte86 to the city, followed by some beers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sure thing Gigantic. And I hear ya about the hipsters...I tend to use the term 'Hipster Dufus', although I got that from Seinfeld.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Sure thing Gigantic. And I hear ya about the hipsters...I tend to use the term 'Hipster Dufus', although I got that from Seinfeld.
    About 13 years ago, best friend & I made up a game called "Hipster or Dipshit?". we'd sit at the window of his cafe and call out "hipster" or "dipshit" as college kids walked by. Granted, this was before the current hipster trend and the term wasn't necessarily pejorative, but the fact was that the distinction was totally arbitrary. Ultimately, there was no difference.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    About 13 years ago, best friend & I made up a game called "Hipster or Dipshit?". we'd sit at the window of his cafe and call out "hipster" or "dipshit" as college kids walked by. Granted, this was before the current hipster trend and the term wasn't necessarily pejorative, but the fact was that the distinction was totally arbitrary. Ultimately, there was no difference.
    ^^This is absolutely awesome.

mtbr member
    Satan, where are you in Kenzo?
    The corner of Lehigh and Frankford (Braddock)

also "satan, where are you" is amazing... I need to figure out how to get that in my signature.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Guys.. I haven't disappeared.. I'm in Philly right now..
    I live in Naval Square.. not really UC but close..it's a nice place..today first day of work..it went ok..I have to settle down and overcome the jetlag..as I decided not to bring my bike along I went to Breakaway biek shop and HumanZoo shop to see if they rent bike or if they have used ones..they don't have neither the former nor the latter..they told me there is a bike shop that sells used bike do you know what shop they are talking?I also looked on craiglist and I have spotted one or two that can be my picks..but I haven't made my mind up.. anyway.. gonna write more tomorrow.. happy to be in Philly!

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanic Pizza View Post
    The corner of Lehigh and Frankford (Braddock)

also "satan, where are you" is amazing... I need to figure out how to get that in my signature.
    I'm just a few blocks away on Frankford btw Cumberland & Letterly. I'm frequently at the Lost Bar, so if you see someone that matches my screen name, it's likely me...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey, another Philly poster here. Welcome to the city, hope you have a great time! The posts so far have pretty much got everything covered, you're in a nice area and shouldn't worry about mugging too much, just use common sense. The Graduate Hospital area just east of Naval Square is a great neighborhood with some great bars (check out the Sidecar and Grace Tavern). As far as bike shops, I generally get my bikes serviced at Bicycle Stable in Fishtown, they're a smaller shop but generally have a decent used bike selection.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Guys.. I haven't disappeared.. I'm in Philly right now..
    I live in Naval Square.. not really UC but close..it's a nice place..today first day of work..it went ok..I have to settle down and overcome the jetlag..as I decided not to bring my bike along I went to Breakaway biek shop and HumanZoo shop to see if they rent bike or if they have used ones..they don't have neither the former nor the latter..they told me there is a bike shop that sells used bike do you know what shop they are talking?I also looked on craiglist and I have spotted one or two that can be my picks..but I haven't made my mind up.. anyway.. gonna write more tomorrow.. happy to be in Philly!
    check out Bicycle Therapy, which is close to you, as well as Bicycle Revolutions & Community Bikes and Boards, both which are not terribly far from the Italian consulate.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the city!

What is your price range for a bike? And what size do you ride?

mtbr member
    my friend is selling this bike: Kona Kula MTB 17"

I feel like he would take less money for it, and I can talk to him if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks all for you ongoing help!
    I thought I had time to post something but settling in is time consuming..plus working more hours than expected..
    Anyway..thanks for the names of the shops..gonna call them tomorrow and see what they offer..
    @Satan thanks for your link..but for now I want to stay a little bit 'choosy' and find a 29er..
    I hope I have time to update you all..and first and foremost to have a bike.. can't wait to ride with you guys!!

mtbr member
    stay choosy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I like riding downtown in the streets. A lot going on and you have to be aware of everything.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    so what do you think of our city so far?

mtbr member

Moving to Philly..need advice..

Firehouse bikes has a nice selection of used bikes and everyone there is super cool.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Here I am finally!! Sorry for the wait!!
    I arrived on Saturday (February 2).. I like the city.. it's strange..I mean it's different from what I was expecting..I kinda feel it's a mixture of American and European culture..for some stuff I feel like I am in EU for another in the US...I did not know there was such a difference between East coast big cities and West Coast cities.. at least this is the impression I have (so far, ready to change it LOL)
    I live as I told you in Naval Square..it's pretty nice.. we have a gym in the building..that's really convenient.
    I walk to and back from work every day.. I like the atmosphere I can feel while I am walking..
    There is a lot of work at the Consulate.. and I'm working longer and more than expected..but I guess this is normal.. I like the environment there and also my co-workers are , most of them, very nice.. the only cons is that I speak Italian the whole time.. but again I guess that's normal...
    Weather-wise, it's pretty close to the one we have in my region..maybe a little bit cooler..but that's ok..
    Bike-wise..well here the problems come.. my parents who are the one that were supposed to sponsor me and so give me some extra $$ to buy or rent a bike are not super keen to do that anymore..also because they are worried that I will not be able to sell the bike when I leave Phila..
    I think I can spend around 300$, maybe 380$..not a lot..the main problem is that no shop, I went in, offers a rent bike service and all of them, but one (the one in 9th street), sell used bikes..
    So I checked Craiglist and Ebay and so far I haven't found anything..but I guess that's normal.. it's almost impossible to find a 'decent' 29er with that amount of money..so I'm thinking of buying a city/road bike.. it's the only solution..in that way I do not stop to train and I do not lost all my strenght etc.. It's upsetting and sad..but I do not have many choices..
    Maybe when Breakaway bikes starts the rental program again I will be able to rent one and hit Philly trails..
    I really hope we can ride even I have a city/road bike so we can meet..or if you don't like this idea, I hope we can meet for a beer so I can thank you in person for all the help you have given me so far.. I owe you one!
    Thanks again..
    Matteo

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Matte86, be patient on the bike thing ... talk the local shops that you can get to, maybe someone local here on MTBR (or via the Philly MTB group ( Forums | [PMBA] Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association ) could help you find something.

For what you've stated for budget, etc., I'd advocate looking for a single-speed 29er, new or second hand. That'd also be a fair bike for riding much of the trails in the region when you get the chance, and would help with the pot-holes in the streets in philly.

There are inexpensive bikes to be had - Redline - Surly - and others - that make budget conscious single-speed bikes that are not ****-bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Matte, you said you have a pretty decent bike in Italy? I think you ought to have your folks ship it here.

Or just buy a bike yourself.

Spring! Spring! Spring!

Moving to Philly..need advice..

Shipping a bike both directions could easily end up costing more than 300$ - or much more with insured shipping.

UPS wanted to charge me about 700$ to ship a 40# bike in a box (total weight 60#) insured for 4000$ to TX and back. Ick.

Sent from my brain using neurons fueled by glucose

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm well aware of this. But you've got to think about how much he's gonna spend on renting, or buying some clapped out POS, when he's got his own bike that would serve him and his wallet much better, if it were here as opposed to Italy.

Money's gonna get spent somewhere, somehow. Why not spend it on your own scoot?

And I'm sure that if his parents bring it to a good shop and have it packed well, (maybe in multiple boxes would be a good idea that will get around the issue of shipping a "bike") it will get here just fine, and for less than the cost of an appendage.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    shipbikes.com is the cheapest thing I've found, short of flying with the bike.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast