mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Moving to PA - Looking for places and people to ride with?

Anyone have some suggestions as to good rides in the Southwest part of PA. I'm living down near Uniontown, PA and Morgantown, WV. Anyone have some pointers as to good places to ride or groups to join that would show me around. Thanks!

lukecharlesmiller@yahoo.com

Ride da mOOn Moderator

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks i will check it out

mtbr member
    well when the snow melts you should head up to Laurel Mountain State Park, lots of good riding there. Seven Springs Ski Resort also has some very nice trails. I've been doing a good bit of riding at Roaring Run in Apollo this winter, this is probably one of my favorite places to ride.

Coopers Rock in WV is supposed to be a very good place to ride, from Uniontown you could be there in no time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks man I appreciate the insight! If you are ever going that way let me know and maybe you can give me a tour. I haven't been riding as much as I would like to with the wet weather down here in Nashville, but I am looking to get out when I move up to PA. When the snow melts of course!

mtbr member
    also good riding at ohiopyle state park. just up the road from uniontown is the quebec run wilderness area. some of the best singletrack you will ever see. its a large, remote area that has no roads, so you would definately not want to go alone. much wildlife in the area as well. have seen plenty of black bear in that area. coopers is good, and if your into downhill kind of riding, that can be found at seven springs or wisp ski in maryland as well as the kona bike park at snowshoe wv. let me know if you ever want to check any of it out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Not far from Coopers is Big Bear - off the Bruceton Mills exit of 68. They hold a bunch of races there, one of my favorite places to ride!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the information! I will check it out when I move up there next month. When I go out I will get a hold of you and maybe you can show me some trails. Thanks again!

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

We roll year round in Pa!

Quote Originally Posted by lmiller
    Thanks man I appreciate the insight! If you are ever going that way let me know and maybe you can give me a tour. I haven't been riding as much as I would like to with the wet weather down here in Nashville, but I am looking to get out when I move up to PA. When the snow melts of course!
    Hey, we roll year round in this part of Pa unless the snow is too deep! Great winter riding all over this part of Pa! We rode Frick Park in Pittsburgh last night and it was incredible! Frozen trails, some ice, all good!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I live in uniontown, and we are always looking for more people to ride with. There are some kick as areas 10 minutes from downtown. PM me when you get back into the area and we can hook up

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    I would suggest to you that you keep your distance from PORC. Some of the people are cool but others are just meh with a whole lotta drama mixed in. This of course does not apply to you if you're an XC rider. If so, frolic away with them in the lillies, the DH/FRers will be in PADHA if you decide to cross over into the gnar side of riding
    Demo 8
    P1
    http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
    Sponsors: Twenty6, ODI, Elka, Crank Bros, Sixsixone, Azonic, Specialized

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    PORC is good people. i've had my issues with them in the past, but i'll admit they've gotten their act together a lot in the past decade.

i'd also look into a group called LHORBA great people there, too. a little further from the city, but the riding they have is unparallelled.

Trail Rider
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by moto450
    I live in uniontown, and we are always looking for more people to ride with. There are some kick as areas 10 minutes from downtown. PM me when you get back into the area and we can hook up
    There are local trails near down town Uniontown?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Moto450 where have you been riding? Do you mostly do XC, DH ? I also live in Uniontown
    so let me know when you ride. There's lots of great riding around here. I do a lot trail riding
    around here and when the DH resorts open I'll be at those all summer, I also do some road biking around town. I'm planning Big Bear tomorrow and Quebec Run one night tis week. I also like to pedal the summit and hit a bunch of trails that go back down to hopwood. I'm always looking for someone to ride with.
    Jody
    2008 Demo 7
    2008 Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    May 2008
    jody,

I live right by the country club. I ride xc only. I pretty much leave my house and ride up to laurel caverns a lot and hit quebec, big bear and some other local areas. I am lways looking for others to ride with also. Pm me with your info and we can hit quebec one day this week. I was up there twice last week and there were a lot of down trees on the trails.

Brett

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Hey Jody,
    I work in Uniontown but live up in Irwin. I would love to learn some of the riding around Uniontown for after work PM rides? We rode a Big Bear on Sat and we try to hit Quebec Run a few times a year. PM me and we can see about a late afternoon ride somtime in the future. PaMtnBkr (Don)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Washington

I will be moving to Washington, PA in August and was wondering if there are any good LBSs in the area or local bike groups that hold weekday rides in that area.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    drog,

not sure about any lbs, but there is a place to ride called Mingo Park. It's supposed to be awesome

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

try this

http://www.porcmtbclub.org/
    Theres lots of riding here.
    Moto, Thanks for the ride, had a great time.
    Jody
    2008 Demo 7
    2008 Stumpjumper