Thread: Moving to PA,

Wahoo!
    Sep 2004

Moving to PA,

Hi, I'm moving to the area (Erie) in June. Can anyone give me the heads up on the scene out there (decent shops, trails, groups, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.
    I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death.

mtbr member
    All I can say is I am sorry.

But seriously, shop wise Competitive Gear (Trek, GF) is decent as is Adams Cycle Shop (Specialized, Felt). Good mechs at both shops, I personally have not had a problem at either one, although some will flame one or the other.

As for trails the two major rides are Asbury woods and Penn State. Nothing spectacular but a lot of fun to ride if you know where you are going. If you are willing to travel a bit then you have some other options as well like moraine state park, kennerdell, denton, ray's, seven springs, holiday valley, plattekill, snowshoe etc

No organized groups that I am aware of, just friends out riding.
    Last edited by bigkat273; 05-12-2008 at 02:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    hmmm...been here 3 years myself (also a SE MI transplant). Bike shops here blow from what I've seen....internet shopping is your friend. There are some good trails nearby in NY (Westside Overland Trail---link below) and some locally at a place called Asbury Woods---(kinda short with lots of pedestrians to dodge----but fun). I also found the trails here to be wet a lot more than I was used to.

Erie's a great place to live, but honestly, from a MB standpoint, I really miss the "Poto" and "Island Lakes" back home....those really are awesome rides considering proximity to such a large metro area.

Sorry to be negative, I'm depressing myself!

http://www.wnymba.org/trails.php?trail=10
    http://www.asburywoods.org/site_and_trail_map.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkat273
    All I can say is I am sorry.

But seriously, shop wise Competitive Gear (Trek, GF) is decent as is Adams Cycle Shop (Specialized, Felt). Good mechs at both shops, I personally have not had a problem at either one, although some will flame one or the other.

As for trails the two major rides are Asbury woods and Penn State. Nothing spectacular but a lot of fun to ride if you know where you are going. If you are willing to travel a bit then you have some other options as well like moraine state park, kennerdell, denton, ray's, seven springs, holiday valley, plattekill, snowshoe etc

No organized groups that I am aware of, just friends out riding.

ahh that was good laugh i agree turn around and go back

Wahoo!
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the replies fellas. The MI economy just doesn't support life there so turning around isn't an option. I'll resign myself to driving to get to a decent trail.

steadite, ever ride Pontiac Lk? Just like Poto but replace the roots with rocks. Fast as heck on some downhills, 35+ if you have the guts and the brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trickten
    steadite, ever ride Pontiac Lk? Just like Poto but replace the roots with rocks. Fast as heck on some downhills, 35+ if you have the guts and the brakes.
    Naw, never got to Pontiac lake altho heard it was good. I lived more in the Brighton area, and rode with people from ann arbor and pinckney, so tended to go to the other places.

Bummer about MI....state has a lot to offer, but only if you don't need a job. But, hey, let's all buy another foreign-brand car! (I'd better not get started...)

Erie's actually a nice town, just not a great mtb area.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    you guys should consider driving to Elicottville NY to ride. looks like its about an hour and half from erie. really great riding there, well mapped and signed.

my fun has a hurting
    you should move to pittsburgh instead. we have tons of great riding all within 45 minutes of downtown.

mtbr member
    Erie its self is not a bad town.( if your over 21) The two shops that bigkat listed are great and you will find your self some good people at both. but you guys forgot about Presque Isle I spend alot of time here in the summer not so mutch for biking seeing that all the trails are paved but its a nice place to take the family or just to hang out. The nice thing about living in Eire is there are alot of trails with in a short drive. asbury is a nice place for mtb.
    good luck to you and if you are ever planing on going out post it up (Asbury Woods trail conditions) mabe we can get a grop ride in.

Wahoo!
    Sep 2004
    Thanks to everyone that has replied.

I'm in Erie due to work and at $4.00/gal, I'd rather live in Erie and drive to ride.