Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Moving to Doylestown area, any group rides or nearby trails?

Moving to Doylestown next week and I need to meet some riding partners and find some mountain biking nearby, any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I moved to the Doylestown area from the pacific northwest about a year ago. The mountain biking is limited. A place called High Rocks aka Ralph Stover is the best nearby riding. About 8k of rocky singletrack.

Core creek park in Langhorne has some trails as well.

Multihour singletrack can be found at Wissahickon in Philadelphia, French Creek State Park, and a few other places within a 90min drive.

Where are you moving from?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm moving from Portland. I hoping to meet up with some people who ride either mtb or road. I'll be out there next week so I'll be looking to do some riding. Let me know if you plan getting some miles in next week.

Inbred Homebrewer
    I lived ~ 2 mi north of Doylestown for a few years (I'm now ~ 10 mi south of there.) A few things:

1. High Rocks (aka Ralph Stover, aka Tohickon Valley Park) is the closest place for a quick spin. I still ride there a few times a week, usually after work mid-week and early in the morning on weekends. It's a short loop (~ 1hr +/-), but it get's the heart pumping and it's fun enough that it's kept me coming back for more years than I care to admit.

2. You'll grow to loathe PA 611. It's the corridor that'll get you from Doylestown to the nearest PA turnpike interchange in Willow Grove. It's the slowest 10 miles imaginable. "Thanks Urban Sprawl & Traffic Lights!!" Depending on traffic and your luck with the lights, it can easily take 30 - 40 min.

The reason it's so frustrating is that, in order to hit many of the areas prime riding spots, you'll have to travel via the turnpike. Not true for Wissahickon, but it might as well be, because you'll still go in that general direction.

Living where I do now, I can hop on the turnpike in less than 5 min - and, from there, it seems like every good riding spot in SE PA can be reached in about an hour. French Creek, Blue Marsh, Jim Thorpe, and others are all just an hour (in different directions). As somebody mentioned above, these places can be reached from D-town in ~ 90 min.

3. Road riding? There's plenty. Some roads are great, some are dreadful. PA is infamous for it's road maintenance (and lack thereof). There are plenty of quiet streets heading out of Doylestown that will get you out toward the Delaware River and further up into northern Bucks County. I tend to ride solo (if at all) on the road, but there are shops & clubs in the area that have groups going out all the time.

Try here, for starters:

http://www.cbbikeclub.org/

I'll meet you at High Rocks some time if you'd like someone to show you around, just let me know when.

Welcome to the 'neighborhood'!

Quote Originally Posted by scravnyman
    I'm moving from Portland. I hoping to meet up with some people who ride either mtb or road. I'll be out there next week so I'll be looking to do some riding. Let me know if you plan getting some miles in next week.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Uphill hater

Try north of Doylestown

Try out the Lehigh Valley (Allentown) area. It's about 30 mins away from Doylestown and you can get to 202 to 309 and avoid 611. Some pretty good riding all over the area.
    Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

My blog

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Don't overlook NJ. I live about 6 miles NW of D-town and I can get to Round Valley in 60 minutes, Chimney Rock in 75 minutes, and Allamuchy in 90 minutes. As previously mentioned, the D-town area is an interstate hwy no-man's-land. I take back roads to the rides in NJ. I'd start w/ Chimney Rock; it's a dense network of fun single track and it's probably the safest place to go if you can't find a riding partner. You're never too far from a road or your car.

Welcome to the area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I work in Doylestown, right next to the Airport and still do most of my ridding in the Wissahickon. Stover, which people have mentioned is nice, but can be really crowded. If you don't mind the ride, Jersey, Allentown and Jim Thorpe are your best options.

The best option, is a Road bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I definitely plan on road riding the majority of the time, it's just so easy to roll out from the house but thanks for the beta on the local mtb rides it's very helpful. It already sounds like it will take me a few months to hit all of the riding areas within 90 minutes.

I saw that there is a race on 6/2 northwest of Doylestown, I can't remember the name of the town it's in but if anyone knows which race that is how's the course? I like to mostly due courses with fun singletrack and a good atmosphere, really technical is good also.

W.M.A.

Racing

Not sure what race you are referring to, but if you want to get in on the local racing scene you’ve got to do MASS. The Guys Neshaminy race on 6/17 is not far from you if distance is a concern.

Info is here - http://www.masuperseries.com atmosphere is always great and you can often get a chance to ride stuff that is otherwise not legal to ride. i.e. French creek trails, Granogue.

good luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The race on 6/2 is the Danville race Tour de Tykes. Has anyone done that race? Is the course any good?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I forgot to ask about the race in Langhorne put on buy guy's bicycle racing. I think it's called the Classic Mountain Bike Race.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    What class are you going to race? If you like technical anything in Michaux or State College will be to your liking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think I will try expert over 40. I'll see how that goes...I haven't raced yet this year, it's been too busy with the move but once we get settled it should be easier.

W.M.A.
    i will be racing in danville but have not ridden there before. as far as being close... relative to the pacific northwest, it is close to doylestown, but youre still looking at a 2 hour drive...

from what i hear it is a pretty tough course - with a lot of climbing

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scravnyman
    The race on 6/2 is the Danville race Tour de Tykes. Has anyone done that race? Is the course any good?
    I've raced Danville the past couple of years and the course is not bad. Lots of climbing, but most on gravel/fire roads. The single track is fun but it's been wet both the past two years, and this course is a mess when wet. Also as Sflag said it's a two plus hour trip each way.

The "Langhorne/Neshaminy" are one and the same. Really fun course with a little bit of everything. A couple short but steep fun climbs, a nice rocky area running down along a creek and some nice single track. Not a lot of places to pass so if you do is guy make sure you drop the hammer in the open field start. Also this is only 15 min's from D-town.

If you're looking for some road stuff next week there are group rides heading out from the shop I deal with on Wednesday nights at 5:30 and Saturday mornings at 7:30. It's a great group of guys and a couple gals that range in skill. Mostly A-B riders but easier rides do break off also. The shops site is in the middle of being redone but here's a link for directions.

http://www.cyclesports.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Also, try Pennypack in the Northeast area of Philadelphia. You can get there in about 20/25 minutes or so.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    We made it to the east coast but the bikes are still with the movers..no racing this weekend. Anyone know where one can rent a bike? We want to go for a road ride this weekend.

VMB
    If you plan on coming to the Lehigh Valley, just northwest a bit from Doylestown, we have quite a few riding spots. The Valley Mountain Bikers is an organized group of riders who can show you some awesome riding places in the valley. Check us out at www.bikevmb.com.

I'm more of a dog person
    I live near D-Town and ride High Rocks all the time. My riding pal and I are always looking for people to ride with. We don't belong to any clubs or anything but if you're ever interested in doing a ride there just drop me a line.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the4berbs
    I live near D-Town and ride High Rocks all the time. My riding pal and I are always looking for people to ride with. We don't belong to any clubs or anything but if you're ever interested in doing a ride there just drop me a line.
    hey duder,
    my wife and i just moved north of doylestown from philadelphia, and are looking for some people to show us the local trails. we should ride sometime!

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeGrownSS
    hey duder,
    my wife and i just moved north of doylestown from philadelphia, and are looking for some people to show us the local trails. we should ride sometime!
    This time of year I'm doing mostly weekend rides since we're losing light fast, so if your interested in riding High Rocks some weekend just let me know and we'll work something out.

out of shape
    i moved to doylestown in april from lower bucks, i usually go to core creek since its flat, neshaminy is tough but its a good ride. i need to try high rocks one weekend, maybe we can all meet up and have a ride somewhere

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hi all,

In the same boat as some of you, moved to Doylestown from the UK 12 months ago and need some riding buddies! I ride anywhere I can aslong as it aint flat/smooth!

It's life and death
    cazza..lets do neshaminy...im originaly from uk too so it would be nice to speak with someone who talks normally!!!!! only kidding guys...i love the american accents!!

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by CazzaMazza
    Hi all,

In the same boat as some of you, moved to Doylestown from the UK 12 months ago and need some riding buddies! I ride anywhere I can aslong as it aint flat/smooth!
    I'm not from the UK, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

Kidding aside, I've lived in the area most of my life and have been known to cart people around SEPA to various local MTB 'hotspots' (including - at one time or another - a handful of British expats and an Aussie postdoc or two). If you want to meet up for a ride and a pint or three, just lemme know. Generally, I try to ride at High Rocks at least one evening a week throughout the year. Weekend rides are either there (i.e. High Rocks), Wissahickon, French Creek, Bethlehem, Blue Marsh, etc.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast