mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Moving back to da burg...

Got into mtb a few years ago when I moved to Phoenix. Moving back and looking for good trails close to the Peters Township area. I also have a cabin near IUP (clymer/cherry tree area) and looking for a place to ride there on the weekends. I heard of Yellow Creek, any good? Last, I'm riding a mid-level FS to handle the rocky desert terrain, would I be better off keeping it or trading for a high-level hardtail? Not sure what would be best for PA trails. Looking for fast single track, nothing crazy. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AttilaTheRed View Post
    Got into mtb a few years ago when I moved to Phoenix. Moving back and looking for good trails close to the Peters Township area. I also have a cabin near IUP (clymer/cherry tree area) and looking for a place to ride there on the weekends. I heard of Yellow Creek, any good? Last, I'm riding a mid-level FS to handle the rocky desert terrain, would I be better off keeping it or trading for a high-level hardtail? Not sure what would be best for PA trails. Looking for fast single track, nothing crazy. Thanks!
    Hey AttilaTheRed, I can't speak for trails on the south side of Pittsburgh, but North Park trails are very popular, and Frick can be very nice too for riding right in the city, but you have to know your way around a bit.

I also grew up in Indiana. I haven't ridden Yellow Creek since the 90s, but I hear the trail system there is running well - they even run a little race series there in the summer. It's not the most technical, but it's pretty fast. The classic Indiana trails are Whites Woods and College Lodge, and the access roads that extend from there over towards Ernest. My favorite riding back in those days was at Laurel Mountain. It's quite a bit more technical and rocky, but very fun. These trails are still running but once again, last time I was there was in 2000. Raystown lake has a great network of very fun, fast trails... dirtrag hosts their annual dirt fest there.

As for a bike, I suggest you keep what you have until you get a better sense of the local riding. Feel free to PM me for more details.

The White Jeff W
    Add Bavington to your list. Id suggest joining some of the PORC group rides to learn what out there and how to get around

PORC Pittsburgh Mountain Biking, Western Pennsylvania Mountain Biking
    No moss...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Add Bavington to your list. Id suggest joining some of the PORC group rides to learn what out there and how to get around

PORC Pittsburgh Mountain Biking, Western Pennsylvania Mountain Biking

I'm surprised no one has mentioned South Park - without a doubt your closest option.

After that, Frick is going to likely be your next closest option with Bavington and North Park just a bit further away.

You may find your FS might be a bit overkill out at Bavington, but would probably enjoy it at Frick. Like it was said, run what you brung until you decide that your current bike just isn't working for you.

There's also other options within about an hours drive for you:

Deer Lakes Park
    Boyce Park

Bit further to the North and you also have Moraine State park - which is quite rocky, wouldn't consider it fast, but definitely fun.

Also to the North is Brady's Run state park in Beaver.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.