Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Go Big or Die Tryin'

Mountain Top - Dead Deer/Roller Coaster

Anyone ridden the Mountain Top Dead Deer/Roller Coaster shuttle this year? Wondering what condition it is in?
    Slugs love beer.

mtbr member
    I rode "Lower Earth" (Farm Road, WIld Turkey, 380, BrushWolf, JailTime, ect)....last Sunday....things were pretty good....Turbo Tom and crew rode "UpperEarth"(Middlefinger, Dead Deer, KillerBee, Hell TRail, Nowhere, Stairway to Heaven, and RollerCoasterSayWut?.....TT reported some snow but mostly good.....I think all trails are snow free right now(Friday).....ground is frozen....so riding will be rally good except it is supposed to snow up to 1 inch tonight and Saturday.....We will be riding "Middle" and "Lower" Earth Satuday and "Upper Earth" on SUnday.....Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    hi PA folks, i might potentially live there in the near future... what are the trails in mountain top like? I'm from Phoenix and ride a lot of xc and somewhat rocky technical trails that I enjoy. Appreciate your feed back in advance.

mtbr member
    Rollercoaster is freshly trimmed/leafblown/raked as of this past Sunday as well as a new singletrack connector was added from the clearing on "Nowhere" to the beginning of "Stairway to Heaven" (special thanks to Brian and Lisa for the help). I raked out Middle Finger a couple of weeks ago, but there was still some snow on it but it should be good. We cleared out Stairway to Heaven in the late fall after all the leaves have fallen so that should be good also.

I have not been on Dead Deer or Hell Trail yet - they are next in line for clearing out. Anybody want to help out with them Sunday morning around 10? If it's just Brian and I it will take at least 2 sessions. A couple of more people and we can knock them both out in a few hours.

mtbr member
    Mike, you did an awsome job on Rollercoaster BIG thanks! nothing like a clean trail esp one as fast as that. Dead Deer was in good shape, there are leaves down but no big deal. All the rest of the trails in that section are in good shape as well (considering its early in the season)

ojelijb..if you like rocks well Mtn top should make you fee right at home
    There are some great trails here.. rocky technical trails as well as other options that will keep you riding almost all year.
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member

Good job!

We Picked up 2 inches of fresh snow today.....riding was still good but a bit slippery on the rocks.......we rode "MiddleEarth"......should still be pretyy good on Sunday...

Mike, Brian, and Lisa.....Thanks very much for your work on trails over at "Upper Earth"....

mtbr member
    UUUGGGH..more snow!! we hit Swatara early this morning was great, dry and in good condition. saw some locals as we were heading out. Just starting to snow hard, but not really enough to stick. staying in bed tomorrow..

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks jkad, that is great news! hope to ride with you guys in the future should my move there come to fruition.

mtbr member
    Yeah, don't think I'll be doing any leaf-blowing tomorrow.......

mtbr member
    Hey just got home(10:15)from a friends house....it has frozen up in Mtn Top......very slippery.....bagging ride on Sunday....gonna do trail maint / hike... Middle Earth....here are a couple pics from todays ride and 1 from last Sunday......Ride On!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain Top - Dead Deer/Roller Coaster-photo-2.jpg  

Mountain Top - Dead Deer/Roller Coaster-photo-3.jpg  

Mountain Top - Dead Deer/Roller Coaster-photo-4.jpg  

Mountain Top - Dead Deer/Roller Coaster-photo-5.jpg  

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    Thanks for the info. I would like to help out wih trail maintenance soon.
    You guys do an awesome job. Thanks.
    Slugs love beer.

meh?
    Is there a map of the trails in that area (Mountain Top)? I'm going up to Albrightsville in a month for a 2 day vacation with my wife's coworkers, plus I'll be moving just west of Philly and will be looking for other trails in addition to Wiss. A map would be helpful. If not, if one of you would let me follow you on Strava, I could just take a look at your GPS data there and follow a trail. I'm hesitant to just pick something and follow it. I don't want to end up on a rails to trails or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

mtbr member
    geez, im in sugarloaf and dont even know where they are, give up a map guys!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    The problem with giving up a map for Mtn Top is that a bunch of the trail is, er, not technically in legit areas - gameland and such - so publicizing that is, well, weird.

OTOH, there's a rough mess of people that are happy to ride with and share. I don't pretend to be an Authority of trails up there but I do know some, and plan to get more knowledgeable this year (I live not far off).

mtbr member
    Like Bear said, the reason there are no real maps of the Mountaintop trails is that we are not "technically" allowed to ride on most of them. However, there SHOULD be a map of the Church Rd. trails - as far as I know they are legit?

Anyway, I would be more than happy to show anyone the Mountaintop trails that I'm aware of, especially the series of trails this thread is about because the more use they get the easier they are to maintain. The only requirement is that you'd have to maintain my pace, which is on the slow side.

Now we just have to wait until the snow melts.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Hum? Seems not too long ago someone told me if ya don't want private info to go out, don't post it online!

Right bear?...LOL

Spring! Spring! Spring!

Re: Mountain Top - Dead Deer/Roller Coaster

Yup

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hey im from drums i would be interested in going for a ride and getting shown around some time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soggybrain View Post
    Hey im from drums i would be interested in going for a ride and getting shown around some time.
    Hey Soggybrian..im also from Drums and would be happy to show you around. What type of riding ya do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I guess you would consider it xc. Ive been to Swatara, Moon Lake and a few random trails.

Rolling on 650b
    Headed out there Wednesday morning. Thinking about starting at the Tunnel Road lot around 9:30 if anyone's interested.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Clipless, you have one wacky work schedule. Have a great ride, was out there Sat with Jeff and things were fabulous.

Rolling on 650b
    Usually off on Wednesdays. Glad to hear its in good shape.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipless in PA View Post
    Headed out there Wednesday morning. Thinking about starting at the Tunnel Road lot around 9:30 if anyone's interested.
    UUUGGGGHH..Have a Dr apt at 9AM or i would join you. I do plan on doing some TM later in the afternoon. Perhaps i will see you then.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Anyone goin out saturday?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast