Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    3 "fiddy" for short

Mountain Lion Sighting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to let everyone know in the Central PA area that a mountain lion has been spotted in the Lingle Valley area of the Seven Mountains. It was spotted last night Oct. 28 while spotting for deer. I was not the one that saw it, but one of the two men that did see it was a contracted employee of the state of Wyoming for many years as a wilderness/wildlife field helper. He spent A LOT of time in the wilderness of Wyoming and has seen his fair share of mountain lions. So, needless to say, he is a very credible source.

The exact location (looking at a Purple Lizard Map) is where the Coopers Gap road meets the Lingle Valley road. More specifically, (as it was described to me) close to where the Indian trail meets the Coopers Gap road.

When the lion was spotted it was on the side of the road. The person holding the spotlight put the light on the "object" it, and I quote "leaped 12 feet or so onto the bank and was gone." It was described as being 4 to 5 feet long with a 4 foot tail. Again, all of this information came from a man who had dealt with mt. lions in the past for several years in the wilderness of Wyoming.

I just thought everyone would like to know. Keep your eyes open and be careful!

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    SHOOT IT!

We can't have those things running around where we ride! If we kill "ALL" of them we will have safe places to ride!

Kill, Kill, Kill, Kill

Bad Kitty
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    sorry to dissapoint you nate, but that was me in my halloween costume.

cool that you saw one out there, now i know i won't ride it alone.

i have to dissapoint everyone here equally, so let it be known for the record that the costume is also bulletproof.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    what a rare sighting! awesome! I would love to see one in the wild. road trip this weekend!

mtbr member
    Also sighted; Sasquatch, Santa, and the Tooth Fairy.
    "Now the Wissahiccon is of so remarkable a loveliness that, were it flowing in England, it would be the theme of every bard, and the common topic of every tongue..." - Edgar Allan Poe

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Shoot it! (Preferably while videotaping it) There is a $4000 bounty for a mountain lion carcass in PA.
    For those not following the debate, the PGC's official position is that there has not been a mountain lion in PA in more than 50 years.
    There's also a $10k bounty for evidence of anyone illegally re-introducing them to PA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    So to prove there is one in PA, the PGC wants you to shoot it?!
    [SIZE="1"]We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.[/SIZE]

www.mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy
    Shoot it! (Preferably while videotaping it) There is a $4000 bounty for a mountain lion carcass in PA.
    For those not following the debate, the PGC's official position is that there has not been a mountain lion in PA in more than 50 years.
    There's also a $10k bounty for evidence of anyone illegally re-introducing them to PA.
    The PGC does not stock mountain lions. If there is a mountain lion in PA, it was at one time someone's pet that they let go or escaped.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Neen
    So to prove there is one in PA, the PGC wants you to shoot it?!
    Not the PGC, but opponents of their policies.
    More information on the bounty, sightings, etc. here.

To all:

I told you we have to kill it!

So if I shoot it and bring it to the GC I get 4000 dollars? Who knows where I shot it?

Remember I enter Bass Tournaments with the Biggest Bass already duct tapped to the bottom of the Boat. I cruise around the lake for a while then gett'er weighed.

I "WIN" all the time!

More at 11!
    proformance58@cs.com

ganginwood

i don't buy it.

i've heard this ridiculous claim for years. for as much as i'm in the woods, my friends are in the woods, their friends are in the woods, etc... etc.....etc..... and in an age of digital everything, cell phones that take pictures, digital cameras (which evryboday has), hunters that use in fra red cameras mounted to trees that take pics of anything that walks by, why don't we have proof. dude, i'm not even talking about a picture or a carcuss. show me at least a track. just one track.

i can list a few other things that managed to fly under technology's radar:
    lochness
    yetti
    big foot
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I too have seen a mountain lion in PA, other (very few) people I know have as well. It was over 5 years ago in the quehanna area. Only one time, for a very brief moment, haven't seen or heard of any for a long time though. No BS, too big to be any other wildcat.

I bike long tyme.
    Man, I totally believe you saw one in the Quehanna area. That place is definitely enormous and remote enough to house a small population of the cats. I don't see any reason why PA shouldn't have them here and there. They see them down in Snowshoe, WV all the time and with nothing but a nice, steady chain of desolate mountains leading straight into PA from there, it only makes sense they travel the game paths north.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

Pabst Blue Ribbon lover
    Oct 2006
    I can't find a cheap Zaskar, but people are seeing mountain lions.....
    It's armageddon......
    "I am the devil. And I'm here to do the devil's work"

ganginwood

again....

everyone has a camera, everyone now is claiming to see one, and yet not one sign of proof. i'm not saying i'm sold on the notion that we don't have these cats in PA. all i'm saying is prove it.
    some guy who used to work for the forest service claiming he saw one is not proof.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    yeah, sure. which one of us here is quicker getting out the camera than a lion getting out of sight?

prove it you say? for thousands of years, reputable eyewitness accounts were considered proof. now we have camera phones (which under the given circumstances would most likely not even be able to capture a suitable image) and everyone needs it "proven" to them. did your mother neglect to teach you the lesson about trusting someone if you don't have a reason not to?

"you want me to put it on your item action list?"

3 "fiddy" for short
    There will always be naysayers. It is very easy to discount someone behind the computer screen, but a face to face encounter with the witness may *prove* different. I can see ganginwoods point about the game cameras, but the camera phone is quite a stretch. Another thing to consider is that the population of these animals is no where near others in the forest. So, yes random sightings may happen, but frequent encounters probably wont.

Just like bobcats, the lion is very aware of its environment. They, like many other animals in the forest, DONT want to be seen. I myself have a game camera and have used it many times to scout for deer in areas that I know there is a population. On more than one occasion I have been skunked, out witted, duped. Remember, we are on their turf and they can sense when things are not right.

Several years ago in the Pine Grove Mills area a hunter took a plaster of paris mold of a large "cat" print. It was taken to a PGC officer for examination and was discounted as a bobcat print. Bobcat, maybe, lion, maybe??? Two winters ago there was an article in the local news paper about a group of hikers finding very large cat prints in the snow in the Black Mo area. They were interviewed to tell their story.

So, yes there has been a lot of exposure to the lion debate, but blindly discounting numerous encounters seems premature. I guess your proof has yet to surface, but the above examples of sightings or signs is a start.

ganginwood
    dude, i'm not trying to fight with anyone. i could really care less. asking for proof isn't exactly insulting anybody. it just seems to be impossible for anyone regarding this claim. people incorrectly identify things all the time. milk snakes for copperheads, hawks for eagles, bobcats for a mountain lions, etc.....
    people even get shot in the woods because hunters "think" they saw a big buck. i recieved an email last year of a mountain lion sighting in colley. it even had a picture attached. turns out the same image was in an email for colorado residents. kind of like the 12 foot rattlesnake found in potter county. so when i hear that someone saw something that they "think" looked like something else, asking for proof or clarification seems par for the course.

for the record, i'd love to see a lion in my neck of the woods. i just don't think its going to happen. and now with the ease of superimposing digital images, it will be much harder to prove the validity of the image even if we do get a pic. i do have a picture of a mountain lion that i took (not in pa) and i have a pic of 2 bobcats running away from me that i took last year. they were about the same size as the lion. i'll see if i can locate them to scan into the computer and post to this thread. i only know the 2 cats were bobcats because they were very close to me (10 feet) before i snapped the picture. otherwise, they could have been very easily misidentified, even without the tail.
    -kevin

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood
    dude, i'm not trying to fight with anyone. i could really care less. asking for proof isn't exactly insulting anybody. it just seems to be impossible for anyone regarding this claim. people incorrectly identify things all the time. milk snakes for copperheads, hawks for eagles, bobcats for a mountain lions, etc.....
    people even get shot in the woods because hunters "think" they saw a big buck. i recieved an email last year of a mountain lion sighting in colley. it even had a picture attached. turns out the same image was in an email for colorado residents. kind of like the 12 foot rattlesnake found in potter county. so when i hear that someone saw something that they "think" looked like something else, asking for proof or clarification seems par for the course.

for the record, i'd love to see a lion in my neck of the woods. i just don't think its going to happen. and now with the ease of superimposing digital images, it will be much harder to prove the validity of the image even if we do get a pic. i do have a picture of a mountain lion that i took (not in pa) and i have a pic of 2 bobcats running away from me that i took last year. they were about the same size as the lion. i'll see if i can locate them to scan into the computer and post to this thread. i only know the 2 cats were bobcats because they were very close to me (10 feet) before i snapped the picture. otherwise, they could have been very easily misidentified, even without the tail.
    -kevin
    You make some good points. Take no offense to my previous post. All Im trying to say is that a claim was made by a credible source. The average Joe driving his wifes soccer mom SUV making this claim might be a little less credible than that of the witness in this case who has no doubt seen his fair share of bobcats and Lions. We will see! Maybe there was a lion that night. Then again, maybe they were mistaken. I will believe the source since I have no reason, nor the expertise, to dispute his claim. In any case guys, keep alert and get out there and enjoy the woods in what is IMO the best time of the year!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

I saw pics

About 2 years one of our office staff brought in a black and white photo that a neighbor had taken with one of those wildlife cams. It was dated and was definitely a mountain lion. This was taken in the Laurel Highlands.

Nice no rass
    Quote Originally Posted by drnich
    About 2 years one of our office staff brought in a black and white photo that a neighbor had taken with one of those wildlife cams. It was dated and was definitely a mountain lion. This was taken in the Laurel Highlands.
    There are occasionally sightings around 7S. The most recent was this Summer around dusk on North Face. Prior to that was last Winter, early morning on the golf course. They are definitely around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Proof there are some even in Central Park
    Last edited by CNorton76; 10-31-2006 at 08:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    oops! my bad if i sounded vehement there. really, it just seemed to me that the naysaying has a very palpable sense of finality to it. and well, that these animals are out there is so full of possabilities.

i used to agree with you nate, but my joints can't stand fall any longer. makes me sad. which reminds me, i need to call you.

mtbr member
    My question is why do we want to kil lthem? The deer population in this state is out of control, they could use a few more predators.
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

To all:

I saw 3 Alligators in the Francis Slocum Park last night on a night ride. We were all riding singlespeeds so we might have been confused a bit!
    proformance58@cs.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast