Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Mountain biking in reading

Hey what up everyone I just got a mtb and looking for places to ride in or near reading pa. Also would like to meet new friends to ride with.

I just got me my first mtb. Its a trek 29er. And im looking to get on this bike as much as possible. Thanks for the help and any suggestions.
    Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Welcome to the Congregation of the Church of Dirt!

You've a number of options ... the closest two groups I can think of to you are the Lehigh Valley MTBers ( Home | VMB - Lehigh Valley, PA Mountain Bike Club ) and SAMBA ( Susquehanna Area Mountain Bike Association - SAMBA ), both groups have trail listings on their web sites along with info on group rides and such.

Obviously, calling out here on MTBR is another good way to connect.

Other groups with discussion forums you may want to consider browsing for group ride connections include the York area MTBers ( YAMBA.org - The York Area Mountain Bike Association - York, PA ), Philly MTB ( Forums | [PMBA] Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association - PhillyMTB have a nice ride-location map on their site that covers a lot of the tri-state area), Jersey Off Road Bikers ( www.JORBA.org | JORBA - You Dig? ), Mountain Bikers of Michaux ( Mountain Bikers of Michaux - Michaux State Forest is just west of Gettysburg and has some tremendous riding opportunities, MBM has a ride-start location map linked on their site), MTB NJ ( mtbNJ.com ), and the Mid-Atlantic Off Road Enthusiasts ( Home Page | MORE-MTB - MD, VA, DC, etc. ).
    Last edited by bear; 02-05-2013 at 05:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Welcome to the sport. What type of riding are you looking for? Cross ****ry? Downhill? You have Blue Marsh Lake near Bernville which is just a little north of Reading. Trail goes all the way around the lake and can be stretched to about 31 miles. Or you can do an out and back ride instead of a loop. Mostly rolling singletrack with some climbs. You also have Mt Penn which has roughly (if I remember correctly) close to 40 miles of all types of trails. Mostly singletrack with log-overs, rock gardens, jumps, bridges, and some awesome downhill specific trails. All the trails aren't mapped but it is pretty hard to get lost. There is climbing involved. May try to get down there this Sunday if everything falls into place. There are plenty of riders in that area that can show you around. There is also French Creek near Morgantown which is again mostly singletrack and rocky. Within an hours ride from Reading there is a whole lot more destinations to ride. Check out spots near Allentown, Philly. And there is some great riding above Wilkes Barre. One in particular is Moon Lake. Hope this helps. Also if looking for rides just post up here as well.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    PS. Almost forgot. Check out Bamba (Berks Area Mtn Bike Assoc). They are IMBA affiliated and are looking for members to spread the sport.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Re: Mountain biking in reading

Thanks for all the help I will check them all out. Bamba sounds good and its local.

Not sure what k8nd of riding I will like best. Im going to try alittle bit of everything to see what I like best.
    I know I will be doing some single track to ride with my wife every now and then

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by 98whitemax View Post
    Not sure what k8nd of riding I will like best. Im going to try alittle bit of everything to see what I like best. I know I will be doing some single track to ride with my wife every now and then
    If you're just getting (back) into dirt riding on a bike, start easy and ramp it up.

Less challenging stuff like Swatara, Nockamixon, Blue Marsh Lake, Wissahickon, some of French Creek, et. al. will help get you and your bike working together without over-commitment. If your wife doesn't (want to) ride much and is very casually interested these are great locations.

Getting more PA-normal (e.g. rocky, rooty) next - Rattling Creek, bumpier stuff at French Creek, Rocky Ridge, Allamuchy, Trexler(?), et. al. is a next step. I highly advocate riding with groups if you're working on building skills - you'll learn more faster, and be safer for people being around to help you figure out stuff.

Push yourself, but not too hard. No matter what, remember it's about FUN!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Thanks for the reply will check them all out

fish
    Oct 2012
    Mountain biking is an awesome way to meet a lot of people and build friendships. Group rides are the best because you get to ride with mt bikers of all skill levels. You learn alot and build confidence. No.one is left behind and its always a great time. Hope to see you on the trails!!!
    Don't Limit your Challenges...Challenge your Limits!!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Check out BAMBA Facebook page for rides! or www.berksareamountainbiking.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I also live near Reading I bike at Blue Marsh most of the time they say Mt Penn is good too. I'm all way's looking for people to ride with I go out during the week and some Saturday mornings I work 2nd shift so I have to get out in the mourning.

It would be great to get out with other rider's !

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I live in Wyomissing and am looking to ride this weekend. I was thinking of settling for a road ride up mt penn and around blue marsh lake, but would rather hit the dirt, weather permitting.
    If you had a pet monkey that knew karate, what would you name it?

Dharma Initiate
    Well as far as the weather is concerned this weekend will be snowy and rainy. Sunday may be clear but just above freezing. Brr. Soon though Ill be heading out no matter what Im getting the itch. Maybe since there are a few of us around Blue Marsh we should set something up. I can't get all crazy and jump off cliffs or anything, but Im always down for a group mtb ride.

On a side note Im still new here too. I used to be on a forum with a car club and we often met up, went for cruises and cookouts. Had a real honest good time. I miss that.
    Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    BAMBA membership meeting Feb 19th at Canal St Pub 7 pm,come on out and meet other members talk shop and make connections for rides,and please join!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Is it just me, or does the http://www.berksareamountainbiking.org/ link not work?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Dharma Initiate
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    BAMBA membership meeting Feb 19th at Canal St Pub 7 pm,come on out and meet other members talk shop and make connections for rides,and please join!
    I guess this day-in-age I have no excuse for not googling something. Thanks for the heads up..
    Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything.

mtbr member
    I would be more then happy to show you around at blue marsh I have ridden it the last two Saturdays it is a little cold now but the cold keeps the ground hard and it isnt to bad when it starts to warm up it will stay muddy for awhile. If u want to ride send me a message I never leave a rider behind and can ride a fast pace or slow its up to u.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Cool lmk when u are going out again. Im not afraid of the cold weather so just lmk and we can set something up

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Sorry for jumping this thread! I am new to the forum and it will not allow me to start a new thread.

I am just getting back into mountain biking and am building a new 29er SS. Trying to decide on tires and was wondering if there is a tire that works well in this area. Looking to do some XC racing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Using Wtb Prowler SL 2.1 on my geared and a friend is using on his SS,medium tread but hook up well can take the abusive terrain we have here in Reading and rool nice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks techfersur, I have heard good things about the Prowler's. I will add them to my list of potential tires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by yz25086 View Post
    I would be more then happy to show you around at blue marsh I have ridden it the last two Saturdays it is a little cold now but the cold keeps the ground hard and it isnt to bad when it starts to warm up it will stay muddy for awhile. If u want to ride send me a message I never leave a rider behind and can ride a fast pace or slow its up to u.

how would you feel about Blue Marsh in a couple weeks? what route do you take?

Also, PASSMTBIKE, i use the conti X-King protection model 2.2. They work great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Give me a heads up when you guys go out I would be interested if I don't have anything going on.

Most of the time I go to the State Hill boat docks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NedsDead715 View Post
    how would you feel about Blue Marsh in a couple weeks? what route do you take?

Also, PASSMTBIKE, i use the conti X-King protection model 2.2. They work great.
    Hey send me a PM we can set something up I am always up for a ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I am 9 or 10 posts shy of being able to send PMs still. newish member to the forums.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast