Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007

Mount Penn - Antietem - Pagoda, Trail Maps?

With all the talk about the very good old and new trails at Mount Penn, does anybody have any maps or GPS tracks of the good stuff? I'm going to try and make it out there on saturday (I'll bring my GPS and log the ride), but I was hoping to get some direction as to where the desirable trails are.

My bike is a cross country soft-tail, but I do just fine at french creek and bear creek. I'm not looking to do major hucking or wall rides, but my bike will handle drops up to 2 feet or so (depending on the situation, of course). Ladders, bridges, teeters, etc. are all fair game, as well.

All the gps tracks I find on motionbased are for trail running.... Thanks in advance.

[edit] Is the Atietem parking lot relatively safe?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'll be there Sat. AM if you want a tour. 10:00 at the Antietam Lake parking lot. White Ford Expedition. I'll actually be starting @ 9:00, then heading back to the parking lot to pick up some other riders @ 10:00. You're welcome to join me at 9:00 or 10:00.

Your bike will be fine for the trails, and your car will be fine in the parking lot.

Tom

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Or if you'd rather explore on your own, park here, head out the back of the parking lot, and seek out "the path less traveled".
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...7,0.01296&z=16

You won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    There are very few marked trails and it is our intention to keep it that way.this place begs to be explored,and I believe this is one it's greatest attributes.you won't be disappointed.

Hey tduro,so you've ridden stone henge?and how about the bolder rock shoots near Rotory park.wild log ride?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The unmapped/unmarked nature of the area kept me away for years. My loss. Once I finally broke the ice, it didn't take long to find my way around. First on the main trails, then offshoots connecting main trails, then avoiding the main trails altogether. The more you explore the better it gets! Mt. Penn is truly a hidden gem.

I'm still trying to match the names with the trails, so I don't know exactly which trails you're referring to. I think I rode past the top entrance to stonehenge today, but we were headed somewhere else so we didn't explore it this time. I might check it out in the morning. I gave a tour today to a guy who had never been there before. I think he was very impressed.

I've seen some pretty intense lines coming down off the boulders near Rotary Park. I know a couple ways through and/or around there, but I haven't tried some of the crazy-ass lines I've seen. Even the trail around the bottom is pretty technical. I love the newly cleared stuff paralleling the south side of List Rd. between the yellow and red blazed road crossings (and even further south past the cave).

Between the radio tower and the pagoda, I've explored all the windy technical stuff above the red blazed trail, between the red and the yellow, and below the yellow. I think most of it could be deemed a "wild log ride". My first time into the new stuff between red and yellow, I ended up going around a few times until I found my way out. It was hilarious! "I know I've seen this tree three times already. Will I ever find my way out?" Very cool.

Thanks for all the great trails!

Tom

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    RoyDean, did you get out to Mt. Penn today? I saw someone in the parking lot at 9:00 and though it might be you. I introduced myself and it wasn't you. But I ended up joining the guy (Jim) on a 3 hr. ride. He showed me some trails I didn't know, and vice versa.

If you don't give it a try, you won't know what you're missing. Let me know if you want a tour sometime.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    readingracing, how many miles of new trails, and how many miles of newly cleared old trails, would you say have been added to the area in the last year?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Approx 7

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Hey dudes... Sorry Tduro, I did make it there this morning, however I *ahem* slept in, so I got there at about 9:30am (I had planned to be there closer to 8am, had to leave by 11am). So I only explored about 6 miles of trails, with lots of back tracking and head scratching. Way too many options, but I did stumble upon a few very fun trails. Unfortunately one of them was a very sweet downhill run from the firetower (right off the rocky ridgeline heading downhill towards the pagoda from the firetower) that I had to CLIMB. The "drop in" from the ridge trail was nearly impossible for me to walk up... the rest of that trail is quite doable (other than a couple of the jumps), but I think I'd walk down that portion. I did see the weird bomb shelter looking thing (there's something similar at wissahickon, too!). One of the good trails back down to the lake pretty much started right there. Here's the route I took:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/8027066

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Roy, looks like you had a great ride! I think I recognize most of those trails. There's many miles of trails within that loop that you haven't seen yet, and even more outside of it. Glad you enjoyed it! Let me know if you ever want a tour.

Tom

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    readingracing, I think I found stonehenge today. Up the switchback with the banked turns, past the stone cellar, left along the ridge, before dropping down to bobblehead. Took a left at the tee (should I have gone right?). It got pretty technical after that. And every time I thought we were heading down, the trailed turned and went back up. And vice versa. Ended up on the steep part of the yellow blazed trail below the stone cellar.

We took the yellow trail down, then veered left on a trail that looked like it was heading for the power line, but it veered left again and went straight up the hill where all the wooden bridges, jumps and drops are. I've seen that area from a distance, but today we walked right up the middle of it. Ended up on yellow in back of the stone cellar.

Explored some sweet new trails in the triangle formed by List Rd., Hill Rd., and the power line. I've been down there before but found even more today. Great riding!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    tduro,sounds like you were going in the right direction,did you ride the rock outcrop,then down a rock step down with a shoot drop and or go around,then over a bolder rollover?I don't know what trail you call bobblehead is, we should hookup sometime,cool that you guy's are spending time getting to know the area.have some fresh stuff that is not easy to find,like to get it more known and ridden in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That place is stellar.

Tom and I had a good ride there on Friday.

Next time maybe I'll see stonehenge.

~ Rod

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    readingracing, when do you usually ride? I'd love a tour. I met you a couple times already. First time was when your dog wiped me out in a head-on collision. Then again after the first big ice storm of last winter. I was riding in from List Rd., while you were hiking out (coincidentally right near where the dog wipeout occurred).

I've met some riders you might know (Jim, Paul, Eddie, Joe, James, Juan, Brad, Bryan, Mike, Chris, another Paul, Todd, and others.) I've introduced several riders to the area, and they're always impressed. And the trails keep getting better!

I love exploring, so I tend to ride the faintest hint of a trail as far is it takes me. (I've ended up walking and/or bushwhacking on several occasions.) I'm sure I've missed a few trails, but I know my way around pretty well.

I enjoy meeting local riders and trying to show each other new trails. Sometimes they do, and sometimes I do. Great stuff!

Tom

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rod24
    That place is stellar.

Tom and I had a good ride there on Friday.

Next time maybe I'll see stonehenge.

~ Rod
    Yeah, that was a great ride, Rod. And there's probably another 3 - 4 times as much as what we did that day. I did another 20 miles between Sat. and Sun., including some sweet miles I never saw before. Let me know when you want to check out some more trails. Bring some buds if you like. The entire mountain begs to be ridden.

Tom

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    hey guys I just joined to chime in here with this thread. I have only rode the trails twice and not very much of them. I would like to meet up with a group to learn more so if anyone is heading the this saturday the 25th please let me know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    looks like there will be a small group meeting on Saturday the 25th. If you want in speak up. member bankofdad is going to lead the way for me and a friend that do not know the trails. the more the merrier. we are looking to start between 12 and 1 but if the majority wants to ride in the morning we can move it up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Let me know the time and I might be able to join you.are you meeting at the lake or rotory park.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by readingracing
    Let me know the time and I might be able to join you.are you meeting at the lake or rotory park.
    as of right now we plan to meet at the firetower at 1:30

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks for the great time guys, can't wait to do it again

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I live in the damn town and I've never ridden there. I might be 5 minutes from antietam lake too. I just don't get out much anymore. I'm not much of a rider either so that's kind of intimidating.

What's the terrain like? I've previously rode at Neversink Mountain and found it to be nice, but I encountered some guys on atvs/motos and a family out with one carry guns. Not sure if they were home owners on the the mountain, but that was kind of strange. They were small game rifles, but still. I was under the impression that motos/atvs werent allowed on those trails? Also I have yet to find the damn loop as the map I found for Neversink sucks. I liked the terrain there. A bit rough on a hard tail, but fun on the way down.

So how does Mt Penn compare?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    From flow to as technical as your comfortable with.there is some nice trail on Neversink if you know where to look.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I haven't ridden Neversink, so I can't comment on that. I really haven't heard too many good things about it.

Mt. Penn can be ridden by a beginner if you stick to the main trails. Starting from Antietam Lake the main trails aren't technical, but it's about 400-500' of elevation gain in the first mile. There's no reason to be intimidated if you're willing to walk a tough spot here and there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Neversink actually has some great trails and some really great climbs,you can ride down to the Thun trail and there is some river single track,but unfortunately isn't ridden enough.we used to have a three mtn excursion years ago,but the third mtn is private property and accessible by invite only.or born and bred Creasion. the trails are exceptional.tduro,how's the shoulder coming along.rode Rattling Creek for the first time Sun,interesting rock features and great flow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by readingracing
    Neversink actually has some great trails and some really great climbs,you can ride down to the Thun trail and there is some river single track,but unfortunately isn't ridden enough.we used to have a three mtn excursion years ago,but the third mtn is private property and accessible by invite only.or born and bred Creasion. the trails are exceptional.tduro,how's the shoulder coming along.rode Rattling Creek for the first time Sun,interesting rock features and great flow.
    I did find some I liked a lot, but it was hard to find connections up there. It seemed like there were a lot of atv type trails rather than single track. I'd end up getting all turned around looking for a loop though

I'll try started at antietam lake since its close by. I don't mind walking...its good for my ego!

thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast