ganginwood

"motor" anything

do i really need to say who said this?
    "but if it wasn't for the Quads we Mt bikers would not be riding it the woods. It would all be grown in."

for the record, this statement does not represent my opinion.
    the last thing i want to see on single track is a any type of motroized vehicle. the trails i ride do just fine and never had a four wheeler nor a motorcycle on them. in fact the only thing that can do as much damge as a quad or motorcycles are horses. this is why i go out of my way to keep stuff low key.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood
    do i really need to say who said this?
    "but if it wasn't for the Quads we Mt bikers would not be riding it the woods. It would all be grown in."

for the record, this statement does not represent my opinion.
    the last thing i want to see on single track is a any type of motroized vehicle. the trails i ride do just fine and never had a four wheeler nor a motorcycle on them. in fact the only thing that can do as much damge as a quad or motorcycles are horses. this is why i go out of my way to keep stuff low key.
    but see in certain areas of the state that is true...

you ever been out to micheaux??? i believe it would be true out there... cept those trails seem to be favored by motorcycles. which is nice cause at least it leave a single track.

around philly i am completely in agreement with you but in really remote areas on remote trails any traffic might be considered good traffic, just cause it does keep some trails from being reclaimed by the woods.

i know in thorpe some of the trails on top broad mountain were seriously overgrown now that they are "closed" for biking last time i was there. trails need traffic to stay open and if there aren't enough bikers then well....

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    Guys:

I like nothing better than riding my Gas Gas motorcycle on singetrack. That bike doesn't have enough horsepower to spin the wheel, its all about traction. My mt bike on singletrack is also fantastic. So is the OLD Schwinn Varsity Tankagolo! That bike was free! I do have trails where I do not ride any mortorized vehicle. It's all about getting along with others and "nature" which is not owned by mt bikers and IMBA. I can speak for most of my Motorcycle friends who say singletrack is the best. I know the IMBA guys here are cringing about my posts, but what the heck I know when they log off they are saying I HATE THAT GUY!

They need to "JOIN" the HUMAN RACE!

Wait till my friends and I hit the trails on our Electric Motorcycles that are based on a mt bike with an electric motor! This is the next trend!

Do whatever you want it's your Earth also! Who am I to judge! We are all going in the ground at the end of this big ride. Dig Faster!

Hee Hee
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    around philly i am completely in agreement with you but in really remote areas on remote trails any traffic might be considered good traffic, just cause it does keep some trails from being reclaimed by the woods.
    I agree usually, but sometimes even in high-traffic areas as well -- I think it depends on the type of vegetation that the trail splits -- Max-a-mil you may or may not have seen the current vegetation condition of the concrete path at the south-end of the Wissahickon (between Ridge Ave and the Forbidden Drive entrance on Lincoln Drive). Now, this particular path is concrete but the bamboo-like stuff that grows back there is swallowing the path, makes for an interesting bike commute when you have other bike commuters coming in the other direction as the sun is sinking.

-p

ganginwood
    i'm not sure if i'm in agreement on this one. its nice to have a motocorss bike break a trail on virgin forest. i've often thought about doing it to new trails to buff'em in. i'm going on on a limb and saying that where i bike its about as remote as you get. i'd put it out there with any of them. i take people out there and their first response is... "i can't believe there are trails out here." the second generally is... "i wonder if they can get a hellicopter in here to life-flight me out if there's an accident". even still, with as little traffic that's on this stuff, the trails still manage to get buffed in by only a handfull of guys who ride there. i'd much rather trim back to maintain than see birms on tight corners and wash outs on steep downhills/uphills
    little putt putt's might be low impact but not my bag of beans. even so, any bike can be low impact with a gentle wrist. but as we know, bikers who own yz450's didn't by them with a conscientious objective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    Max-a-mil you may or may not have seen the current vegetation condition of the concrete path at the south-end of the Wissahickon (between Ridge Ave and the Forbidden Drive entrance on Lincoln Drive).
    yeah my commute takes me through there daily!!!

that sh!t does grow crazy quick dosen't it?? thre is also a section of belmont where you have to ride through that stuff it is so thick in there by this time of year you can't even see the trail anymore.

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    ganginwood:

I was up at Ricketts in the snow this past winter. The ranger was there locking up. He asked what I was donig there. He already saw my van with the cycle shop lettering on it. I hadn't unloaded any bikes yet. I told him I was going Mt Biking he laughed and said "Ya Im going home to watch the game" I know he did'nt believe me! sometimes lying is a better response! I should have told him I was going to ride my motorcycle there!

That area is really out there! I don't know if I have ever ridden your trails, but I can say I have been riding there since I was a kid WAY BACK! Mountain Springs was the place my dad and uncle would take me fishing and riding my pedal bike. We used to ride the railbed also! I meant one of the desendants of the Kitchen family who gave me permission tho ride the entire mountain behind the lake. Sometimes fixing a quad gains me more use of land than any asking and searching I do!

We have to get together and do a ride. Did you ever ride the old railbed from the top of the mountain near Mehoppany to Murry where the breaker was? I believe it was owned by the Jennings brother's lumber company year back. It was grown it but not impassable.
    Here's a pic you might like! Ricketts back in the day!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    yeah my commute takes me through there daily!!!

that sh!t does grow crazy quick dosen't it?? thre is also a section of belmont where you have to ride through that stuff it is so thick in there by this time of year you can't even see the trail anymore.
    Yup, do you travel towards Ridge Ave on your way in in the mornings? We've probably grazed shoulders, on the mornings I commute I head from Ridge onto Forbidden Drive -- I get to do ~10 of the 15 mile commute to work vis-a-vis Forbidden Drive (all the way up to Northwestern Ave), it is the bomb.

-p