Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Most Technical Trail Sections Near Philly

I'm not an epic rider, or fast, I ride mainly to conquer gnarly, technical trails. I spend most of my time at Brandywine, or on the Indian side of Wiss. Recently I rode Bear Creek Resort and South Mountain in 90 degree heat and had a blast. But I met my match at Harmony Hill on a descent called (according to Strava) "Razor Sharp Teeth". Took a nasty spill. Looks like the back of a stegosaurus. 25% grade decline. I took a spot to slowly, squeezed my front brake too hard and did and endo into a nice pricker bush. Blew my back tire too. Anyone ever find this trail? Out of Curiosity, what are some of the most technical trails or trail sections in the area?

mtbr member
    Tried Launch bike park yet?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    You need to come out to Mt. Penn in Reading pa if your looking for knar...

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Belmont has plenty of technical riding and Valley Forge/Betzwood is a nice mixture of technical and flow.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    french creek/ mt penn for rocky tech.

belmont for tight woodsy tech.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Launch Park is Spring Mt right? Looks awesome. Is Mt. Penn a downhill park like Launch or is there any XC type riding?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    mt penn has lots of excellent XC riding (some of the best around if you like techy rock crawling). you'll need good GPS skills or a local to show you around though. unmarked and kind of confusing until you are familiar with the trails. it is not HUGE so if you have enough time i bet you can find your way around on your own, but finding someone who knows it to show you around will save you LOTS of time.

Maybe I'm getting a little too far from Phil, but Mt Gretna Trail 15 is the answer to this riddle. And Mt Penn can also hold its own, if you can find a guide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdarnall237 View Post
    Launch Park is Spring Mt right?
    Right. There's also Blue Mtn bike park that's fairly close to Philadelphia, but it's not as gnar as Launch.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've been to Gretna, but only for a quick spin. Didn't come across 15, but judging by the looks of it (from what I saw on youtube) seems like my kind of riding. I may try and hit it on labor day.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Mt Gretna, from Philly?? That is a hike!!--might as well go the 2 hours and go to Rocky Ridge Park in York Pa.. Actually that one is worth it!! Go there at least 2-3 times a season!!!--- Take the WISS, add 10 miles and add Triple the rocks and roots!!!

--Probably say French Creek is half as close.. But with Rocky Ridge it is Impossible to get lost here (plus Fun like you would not believe..)

For Technical riding (for beginner or Intermediate riders, it is the best in the State--if not the East Coast!!)--my opinion, for just flat-out-fun!! and you will not ever get lost here.. here is the map (plus between the technical trails here--Especially on Trail 5, between 5a, 5b, and guess 5c---there is the best twisty and flowing Singletrack that connects these trails...

Yamba Forums • View topic - The "Official" Un-Official Map of Rocky Ridge County Park

--THE WISS is the Best All around trail (I think with features and locations)----but for Technical 'fun' riding Rocky Ridge is the Most Fun!--Hands down!! Everyone I meet who has been here says it is.. and the YouTube videos do not show the rocks you see on the trails..

I like these 2 spots the best here (see vids)--and trails are constantly being updated (I read on YAMBA..)--but these 2 vids look like 2 different trails completely!!

3-5-13 Rocky Ridge Mountain Biking Trail 5 and 6 - YouTube

Rocky Ridge - YouTube

--I have never been to a place where you can have different 'flows' on the same trails...
    Last edited by 247; 08-17-2013 at 06:14 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Looks fun. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Has anyone been to Bear Creek Resort? Rode it in July and loved it. Short. Grueling at times. It was also extremely hot and wet out so I emptied my camelback on mile 2. slick. took a couple nasty spills on wet rocks. Just wondering what you guys think of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    As several others have mentioned Mt Penn/Antietam is a tech riders dream! I know for sure that there is some hidden gems in there that only myself and one other have cleaned.actually there is appropriately 40 mile of trail mostly single track and yes it is for those who like the thrill of exploration but with little chance of getting very lost.have recently completed two new connectors with approval of Berks County Parks with more to come.I have ridden all others areas mentioned on this thread and although all great places to ride Mt Penn by far has much more of the tech that you are seeking.

mtbr member
    Is anyone ever going to map Mt. Penn?

Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    Mt Gretna, from Philly?? That is a hike!!...
    I would agree with much of what you've said (other than French Creek possibly being the best trail system on the east coast) which is why I prefaced my post accordingly, with "maybe a little too far from Phil..." However, I stand by Gretna #15 being one of the most, if not the most technical trail sections (and I don't ride there much so I really don't care.) "Near" is relative.

mtbr member
    I read that as Rocky Ridge being the jewel of the East Coast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Clicker1 View Post
    At some point it will be mapped,but trails will be mostly unmarked to keep it a place of discoveries for the more adventurous rider.

I read that as Rocky Ridge being the jewel of the East Coast.
    You might be right. As I read it again it's completely unintelligible. I must admit, I've never ridden Rocky Ridge. Is it the best trail system on the east coast?
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    At some point it will be mapped,but trails will be mostly unmarked to keep it a place of discoveries for the more adventurous rider.
    ^^This is the guy you want to ride with. Cool trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Has anyone been to Bear Creek Resort? Rode it in July and loved it. Short. Grueling at times. It was also extremely hot and wet out so I emptied my camelback on mile 2. slick. took a couple nasty spills on wet rocks. Just wondering what you guys think of it.
    I ride it regularly and love it.

Merli Sarnoski has some awesome techy sections! I do enjoy trail 15 in Mt Gretna but the rest of that trail network really wasn't worth the drive for me from Allentown. I don't mean to discount it though, it is a fun little system
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I had lined up a trip to Gettysburg to visit the battlefield and ride Michaux... Seeing that the shutdown may eliminate the battlefield half of the intended trip I may just bail on the whole thing. I would love to ride MtPenn, but it seems like having a local guide may be necessary to enjoy myself. Anyone in the area free on Friday, say noonish? Another option is to go up to Jim Thorpe, but I don't hear much about those trails anymore.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    sdarnall237,might be available Friday for Mt Penn will let you know by Thursday!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks doode! If this government can get their crud together and reopen their national parks, I would probably be heading down to Gettysburg. But Penn would be the best option if that falls through.

Nickel Havr
    I'm currently working on it.... There are tons of trails so I have my work cut out for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

Nickel Havr
    I ride Bear Creek on occasion when I feel like punishing myself....
    How did you ride it? Clockwise or counter-clockwise?

I like Bear Creek.... But after all the rain we had it was pretty rutted out. I'd like to see some maintenance done on the trails.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Clicker 1 IMBA is working on a mapping program that would work well with areas like Mt Penn.our chapter BAMBA (Berks Area Mountain Biking Association) is in the forefront for the testing of said program.we will have updates as to when it is ready for testing and its progress.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast