Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Most Destination Worthy Trails in Pennsylvania?

What do YOU consider the best trails that represent what Pennsylvania has to offer?

As an out of state rider, I'll be coming through next week. I've been to Moraine, Raystown, Rothrock, and Merli-Sarnoski. Love the big boulders featured at Moraine. Love the flowing DHs at Raystown.

Figuring tentatively on riding at Yellow Creek this go round. What is the best of Pennsylvania in your eyes?

mtbr member
    In NEPA I would say Moosic Mt.. Very technical, lots or rock gardens. But I really think it all depends on your preferred riding style. Some people want low tech,fast paced riding.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member

Re: Most Destination Worthy Trails in Pennsylvania?

I really want to get to rattling creek someday
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I would vote for the epic (IMBA says so) trail at Rattling Creek. The roughly 25 mile loop gives you some nice tight flow and some great rock gardens. The rock gardens are situated that they are definitely ride-able for anyone with decent bike handling skills. Surprisingly, the epic trail doesn't have a ton of climbing, either. Don't get me wrong, I love Raystown also, but I think Rattling Creek is more symbolic of PA mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Rattling Creek sounds very cool. This is the first I've heard of it and surprisingly it's only 2 hrs from me. I think I need to ck it out real soon! Does anyone know how hunting season might impact riding there? Thanks
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bye View Post
    Rattling Creek sounds very cool. This is the first I've heard of it and surprisingly it's only 2 hrs from me. I think I need to ck it out real soon! Does anyone know how hunting season might impact riding there? Thanks
    Typical DCNR State Forest regulations apply - it's multi-use and never officially closed to mountain biking. That being said, out of respect and safety, I avoid during December rifle, 12/2-12/14 this yr, as well as Saturday mornings during spring gobbler.
    During small game, archery, flintlock, etc, I dress appropriately.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Raystown is cool (but not a Pa. trail when you think of rocks and roots..)

--THE WISS in Philly is the best! location (you can ride to the 'Rocky' Art Museum from the trail)--also stop and get the best cheeseteak (or Best sandwich in America--Tony Dinics Roast Pork with Brocolli Rob)--GOOGLE the Man v Food guy with that one..

--But this trail has everything (plus you cannot get lost here)---

ALSO I like Rocky Ridge in York Pa. (that is the most fun trail I have ever ridden!!)--google that one also (but very representative of Rocks and Roots...)

AND that trail is the easiest one to ever navigate (goes I a circle basically)--and the unmarked trails there are even better (bringing that trail total to about 20 miles there, if you ask me...)

Here are 2 videos (completely different flows at the same trail)--Rocky Ridge in York Pa. (but hands down funnest trail I have ridden. (but the Wiss with everything about it is my best place)
    Rocky Ridge - YouTube

Rocky Ridge York PA Mountain Biking Trails 1-2-9-The Cliff - YouTube

--but if I came to one place in Pa. to ride a Pa. trail (Philly, hands down..)---JUST READ WHERE TO PARK so you do not get robbed at the trailhead (breaking into cars..)
    Last edited by 247; 10-08-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I haven't been down to the Wiss in a couple years, but one day someone needs to show me what I haven't seen of it so I can finalize my opinion. I've only run a big loop there (15-17 miles?) but it feels a lot closer in category to Raystown then what I've become accustomed to in PA trails.

My hands down current favorite that I never really get out to must be the trails in Michaux state forest, near Gettysburg. Like Rattling Creek, Michaux has it all, and then some. More trail. More views. More trial. Did I mention there's a lot more trail there? Last summer I did a 40 mile ride there, used pavement for about 3 miles of it to make connections late in the day, and never repeated a trail segment. And I've never touched any of the bottom 1/3 of the network, at all. You'd want a guide here though, or be really bold about scouting your own rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    Typical DCNR State Forest regulations apply - it's multi-use and never officially closed to mountain biking. That being said, out of respect and safety, I avoid during December rifle, 12/2-12/14 this yr, as well as Saturday mornings during spring gobbler.
    During small game, archery, flintlock, etc, I dress appropriately.
    Great intel, thanks very much. Coming from MD we don't have to really concern ourselves with the hunting issue at our main riding spots so always helpful to get the extra info
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

Dr. Bike
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    What do YOU consider the best trails that represent what Pennsylvania has to offer?

As an out of state rider, I'll be coming through next week. I've been to Moraine, Raystown, Rothrock, and Merli-Sarnoski. Love the big boulders featured at Moraine. Love the flowing DHs at Raystown.

Figuring tentatively on riding at Yellow Creek this go round. What is the best of Pennsylvania in your eyes?

Before I finished reading your post, I was going to say Yellow Creek. It's a great trail system that incorporates many types of riding, from smooth and flowy to super technical rock gardens. Plus, it's basically just a loop around the lake, so you shouldn't have troubles finding your way around.
    If you find yourself on the eastern side of the state, then I agree with the others, Rattling Creek is also fantastic.
    If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot !

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    + 1 for Rattling Creek and the Wiss for sure. Both are fantastic in their own way.The 25 mile loop at Rattling has some super rocky sections, but great flow, and not as much climbing as other areas...If you can get to the hang glider launch area the view is amazing!
    Wiss has a LOT of climbing, but so worth it...Has great flow too with some very fast, and slower technical rocky descents/climbs mixed in... It is really amazing how much trail there is so close to a major city and the amount of features you see in there, from statues of indians to riding across 10 foot tall cement pipes ... We usually park at Chestnut Hill College which I "think" may be the safest place to park...The only thing is that it does get a little bit crowded with hikers,bikers and runners depending on the time of day on the weekends, at least in my experience...After ride food/beer stops are limitless, especially if you go into Manayunk, which is very close...
    Mt. Penn (Reading) and Mt. Gretna (near Hershey)are both great examples of technical PA riding too, but you may need a local for both of them to show you around...
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

banned
    Apr 2009
    We usually park at Chestnut Hill College which I "think" may be the safest place to park...
    I either park there (or at the lot at THE INN)

but at the Horse place (on that road) o ride back up to Germantown Pike (cross that bridge) and head into the park that way..

But yeah, THE MONSTER, etc.. It is Great..

I haven't been down to the Wiss in a couple years, but one day someone needs to show me what I haven't seen of it so I can finalize my opinion. I've only run a big loop there (15-17 miles?) but it feels a lot closer in category to Raystown then what I've become accustomed to in PA trails.
    Wow that is the first time I ever heard that! Thought Raystown was smooth.... Sure you did not just stay on Forbidden Drive??

--But they have been 'taming the trails' here the last few years (adding dirt for drainage I guess..) so some parts (especially behind the INN) are a lot more mild then they were. They also TAMED 'The Widowmaker' at that spot also. It is now rideable for 80% of people (where before it was NOT rideablle for 80% of people)--hence the name 'Widowmaker'...

--But Also to the O.P.

French Creek (think that is more user friendly than Michaux)--or just come to Rocky Ridge (that is the Most fun trail ever!!!)--read the reviews on that one....
    Last edited by 247; 10-08-2013 at 12:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Your aforementioned desire to do Yellowcreek is spot on. You may also want to look into Roaring Creek/Weiser Forest District and anything in the Laurel Highlands/Forbes State Forest. There are also some pretty nice trails in and around Apollo. Concerning Roaring Creek, I view this as the best riding I have ever done...lotsa flow, enough rock garden to please all but the most technically minded riders(maybe even most of them), and the fastest DH I've ridden short of gravel forest road.

Edit: and roots, I forgot the roots on Homestead trail in RC...enough to knock your fillings out and lose a crown!

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    In western PA....these are my top picks excluding Raystown and Rothrock as they were mentioned:

Yellow Creek - I call it the 4 seasons of Mountain Biking, you name it you'll run into it.
    Moraine
    Laurel Mountain
    7 Springs XC Coarse
    Apollo
    Blue Knob SP and Resort
    Boyce Park

They're my Favorites here along with some top secret private property stuff....that, doesn't exist.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I love the central PA area, Danville, lewisburg area. There are 2 huge state parks with some awesome trails. Bald Eagle and RB winter parks. You could literally ride there every day, all day without hitting the same trail twice. The trails also have a fun mix of everything. Fast, slow, rocks, big, small n VW size rocks n oh yeah, more rocks. There are awesome heart pounding climbs n equally heart stopping dh. It isn't all rocks of course, there are some fun smooth trails as well. Cowbell hollow trail is a much favored gem with the locals and 1 of my favorites.
    There is a weekly ride on Wednesday nights @ 5pm that meets in the parking lot of Winter. Its a fun group to go with. Word to the wise, the park system is massive. Several counties and thousands of acres massive. Its best to download the most recent map or head out with some locals. Cell phone and gps mapping apps are pretty much useless as the area is very remote and wild. Ive ridden up there for a few days straight while camping and I didn't cross paths with another soul. But it is fun n it will put a smile on your face all day.
    The area is also VERY mountain biker friendly. Ive gone through some towns while on the bike and have actually taken my ride into stores to grab needed supplies and have never had anything said to me. Even non riding folk will bend over backwards to help you or point you in the right direction of a nearby trail. There are actually directional signs on the road for the trails with milage numbers like they have for towns.
    Sorry for rambling. Its 1 of my favorite places to ride. The leaves are just starting to turn to so it will make for stellar views and pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    For diversity you can't beat Mt Penn/Antietam Mtn! single track, flow,tech,plenty of rock and features to full out easily shutttled runs.

Our area was picked for an upcoming film called "From Where We Stand" one of four locations featuring east coast riding,terrain and the riders in which I'm involved in,just filmed some segments on Monday and have one more shoot.

Oddly enough this area for all its amazing trails still sits mostly under the radar,it has been getting more attention since we became an Imba chapter....BAMBA,but still is mostly under utilized for all it has to offer for riders....you should put it on the top of your list and check it out!
    Last edited by techfersure; 10-09-2013 at 09:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Mt Penn is my favorite too! Lots of climbing but the reward is always great. Lots of everything really.

techfersure, that's really cool about the film, I didn't know. I'll keep my eye out for when it's finished.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quebec Run, by far. Destination-worthy because of how different it is from everything else. It's a wilderness preserve and you feel like you are totally isolated from your surroundings. Very rocky all throughout. Stat line from my last ride there was 14 miles with 2500' of climbing. All of those climbs were on actual singletrack to boot. You can camp along the creek in the pines. So so nice. LHORBA : Quebec Run Wild Area

A worthy runner-up is Laurel Mountains. Definitely the rockiest place to ride in the state (that I've been to). Start at Linn Run and climb to the top of the ridge, or just park on the ridge and ride the outcrop trails all day. There's no other place like it. Laurel Mountain, Forbes State Forest

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Great topic!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    michaux from what i have experienced. super tech and so large you can ride for days withourt overlapping trails... that said i haven't really been outside of eastern PA with the mtb. i am sure the western and northern parts of the state have GREAT huge trail systems as well.

being from philly i will also say the wiss is pretty damn nice for being in a major city but to me it doesn't compare to places like mt penn or french creek. i may just be spoiled since it is my backyard but for me there are just too damn many people for it to be REALLY good mountainbiking. to me belmont plateau and pennypack; those are the true philly gems! they don't get abused by the masses like the wiss...

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Moon, Moosic, Merli, LSP, Prompton, Kennerdell, Quebec, Roaring, Rattling, Swatara, Trexler, White Clay, Mocanaqua, Bald Eagle, Eagle Mine, Danville, too many more to speak of, Pa has lots of super riding and riders!

mtbr member
    So many new trails to check out! Funny, if you asked the same in Michigan, the top trail or two would be virtually unanimous, with Copper Harbor at the top.

I'm not likely to make the stuff out East on this go round, but I will make a point of hitting some of them on a future trip.

If one were looking for some good double black/expert sections, which trails are the best bet?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    If one were looking for some good double black/expert sections, which trails are the best bet?
    Everything mentioned here has plenty of sections like that. As I was suffering one day, I asked a friend where all the 'casual' mountain bikers in PA rode. He wisely responded 'there are no casual riders around here' --enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling View Post
    Everything mentioned here has plenty of sections like that. As I was suffering one day, I asked a friend where all the 'casual' mountain bikers in PA rode. He wisely responded 'there are no casual riders around here' --enjoy!
    This is very true. There is a certain level of fitness you need to maintain to have fun mountain biking in Pa. {maybe it's true everywhere} Whenever you ask someone how they "got to that point" and how you can get there too, the response is always, "ride more."
    Ask me about Evansburg State Park
    Trail days. 3rd Sunday
    of the month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vack View Post

They're my Favorites here along with some top secret private property stuff....that, doesn't exist.
    lol
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast