mtbr member

Most demanding cardio ride- Western PA?

Curious as to what you would vote as a real lung buster trail or trail network in the western portion of PA?

mtbr member
    Some that come to mind:

There's a well known climb out of Ohiopyle I think referred to as "Laurel Hill Lung Buster." It's fairly tough as far as elevation but it's not all singletrack, so it depends on what you're looking for.

Also, there are lots of different rides you can do in the North Woods/Mountain Streams (and Roaring Run if you're not opposed to thinking of mt biking as non mechanized) section of Forbes State Forests. Those three sections are contiguous and with very few exceptions you are either climbing or descending when on the trails....

Lastly, if you park where the cabins are on your way up out of Linn Run state park you can do some pretty good climbing on Quarry and Fish Run trails and then hit up the amazing trail system on top of the mountain while you're up there.

Life is Good
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell

Lastly, if you park where the cabins are on your way up out of Linn Run state park you can do some pretty good climbing on Quarry and Fish Run trails and then hit up the amazing trail system on top of the mountain while you're up there.
    I second that motion. Which one is the trail that peels off from Linn Run road right across the street from the park office? There's a gate there and a little sign that says "Expert".
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quebec Run is a place that always whoops my a$$.

We typically do a 18 miler loop that feels like 30.

Roaring Run Apollo has a lot of climbing.

The climb out of Linn Run is a good one as well. Some hike a bike sections.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Moraine state park

Hermit
    I'm not familiar with some of these trail systems, but I'd have to agree that with the fairly high technical level Moraine's climbs stands out (Alexander Road singletrack particularly).

How about Kennerdell - start down by the Allegheny River and ride the trails up and down the shoulder of the plateau. I think there are 3 or 4 trails that each climb about 500' in a short distance. And Blunder Trail is an AWESOME tech downhill - though it'll likely be hard to find with the snow now.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/