mtbr member
    May 2010

Moraine/North Park/Other near July 4

Hi folks,

I'm out that way at my folks for 4th of July (3-6 or 7). Wouldn't mind a socially/friendly meet Western PA riders type thing at Moraine or North Park. If anyone's interested in trying to set something up, send me a note. I'll probably be trying to bring along Mrs., so it'll be a less aggressive pace for us.

Hopefully things won't be too swampy.

Best,
    Mark

Hermit
    Moraine is your best bet if the weather is wet beforehand - that place is amazing in the way that it handles water.

Check out the PORC (Pittsburgh Off Road Cyclists) forum for riders:

PORC Pittsburgh Mountain Biking, Western Pennsylvania Mountain Biking

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Mark,
    We will be riding Deer Lakes Wednesday the 3rd if you are interested. Lots of nice singletrack, nothing too tech except for some log crossings.

I might be able to ride Moraine Friday. I'll be working until 4:00 a couple of miles from there, could be there around 4:30. Let me know if that works and I'll see if I can make it.

FYI, if you have never been to Moraine, it has some challenging terrain, some of which can have a price for failure. Armor is good if you have it. I don't, so there are places I choose to walk.

Dave

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by daveg66 View Post
    Mark,
    We will be riding Deer Lakes Wednesday the 3rd if you are interested. Lots of nice singletrack, nothing too tech except for some log crossings.

I might be able to ride Moraine Friday. I'll be working until 4:00 a couple of miles from there, could be there around 4:30. Let me know if that works and I'll see if I can make it.

FYI, if you have never been to Moraine, it has some challenging terrain, some of which can have a price for failure. Armor is good if you have it. I don't, so there are places I choose to walk.

Dave
    Dave,

Good to hear from you! I'll see if I can schedule in Friday afternoon -- I like to ride the AMs when visiting family to maximize "ride while they sleep" time, if possible (even though you can get some condensation on the rocks if it is super-humid). I guess it may mostly depend on weather though. Man, this early summer .... .

I've ridden Moraine several times in the last couple years, so I'm prepared for the terrain. [The first time I rode it, in 2000, was my wife and I on full-rigid low-end bikes. Whoa! She still married me and rides though! ] Armor's great -- but you trade-off the comfort. The only place I would super-dig it there is the DH line for a little extra confidence at speed. Even worse, some of my armor may have some poison ivy oils in it right now. *sigh*

Anyway, I'll look up Deer Lakes. Would definitely be fun for my wife and I to ride new trail.

Thanks again,
    Mark

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Oh! Deer Lakes is "that other" Allegheny county park! Geez. It's so far up, it's hard to think of it as Allegheny county. Anyway, that's a little indirect for me (I'm right near New Castle), but it's certainly no farther/longer than North Park. I'll be in touch.

Mark

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    No worries Mark, wasn't sure where you were coming from. There is plenty of fun to be had in North Park, just that DL is more central for our Wednesday ride. Let me know about Moraine Friday afternoon. I work in Portersville, so am close by. Have not been there in a while, really need to ride the rocks.

Dave

The White Jeff W
    Id invite you to ride at Brady's Run with me but its a swamp right now
    No moss...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by daveg66 View Post
    No worries Mark, wasn't sure where you were coming from. There is plenty of fun to be had in North Park, just that DL is more central for our Wednesday ride. Let me know about Moraine Friday afternoon. I work in Portersville, so am close by. Have not been there in a while, really need to ride the rocks.

Dave
    Dave,

Thanks for a great ride -- I'm glad we didn't let the rain/storms scare us off. The rocks were certainly slimey, but that's Moraine, right? My hat's off to you: rigid singlespeed out there is definitely "worthy"! Serious props, man.

Not sure when I'll be out next (Labor Day is always likely) -- I'll be in touch.

Moraine is in really good shape. Thanks to whom-so-ever is maintaining it. The only real nastiness was the connector from the exit of the downhill line to the far-back-side climb -- there was a massive area of standing water. It wasn't too deep and it was rideable (not really muddy) -- but you definitely don't want to dab!

Best,
    Mark

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Id invite you to ride at Brady's Run with me but its a swamp right now
    Yeah, it won't work out for this trip -- but I'd love to meet up and do that sometime. That's in the Beaver Falls area, right? I'd love to explore those trails.

Best,
    Mark

The White Jeff W

Re: Moraine/North Park/Other near July 4

Yep. Fast flowy trails with a fair bit of climbing. Not much fun in the mud
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey Mark,
    Thanks for posting up, definitely a good time. It was like trail ride concentrate: rain, sun, muggy hot, deep water, tough trails, easier trails, big rocks, huge logs, uphill, downhill, all in 10 miles. Only thing missing was ice and snow.

We went to Laurel Mountain Sunday, Moraine was a good warm up for that. 15 more miles of not quite as intense rocks. As far as the bike, I wouldn't say it's for everybody, but it works good for me at this point. My FS 29'er buddies were shocked when I blasted past them in the rocks Sunday. I was laughing all the way.

Dave