mtbr member
    Apr 2009

moraine conditions

looks good. Didnt do the dh to the marina, but everything else is good with little mud. cleared some mfrose today enjoy. two trees down, but i will get them in the next few weeks.

Hermit
    Yeah, conditions were great for Sunday - lot's of people in the Mt. Union Rd. parking lot. We went around back to Alexander Road and got in the first loop ride of the year. After seeing incredible tree damage over across the Ohio state line at Beaver Creek I was astounded to only see the two trees down.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    DH to the marina was good then? I havent been on it yet b/c i am finishing up a trail to connect the new stuff to the loop by alexander ridge. I went out sunday to add a few signs and ended up building for about 4.5 hours.

Also, i fixed a section on the new trail (i gotta get some names and signs up). I linked up a few small boulders and made it more technical than just straight over the hill. It is more in keeping with the overall design of the trail now, but still needs a bit of bench cutting. You can never have enough rock, Right? I also rerouted that section to keep people from mistaking that rock ledge for the trail. I didnt want to see a newb go off that and get smacked up. Someone racked a line off a 3 foot drop and left the normal trail covered in leaves. I figured i better do something before someone took the wrong path.

Hermit
    The downhill section of the big loop leading down to the marina was in great shape. Just a few isolated muddy spots that you would expect with the spring soil absorbing so much water lately. One tree down at a big rock feature (looks like it could almost be left alone and ridden over - almost...)

Can't wait to see the new trail. Hooking up the new stuff onto the loops - keeping it from being an out and back every time - is going to be key. After just riding out there a couple of times since thaw I can already see that I'm going to be stepping things up a bit this year. Had a BLAST on the loop the other day. Hope to be coming out with an updated map (but then there's NEW stuff to map there!) and some decent video soon.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It isnt really an out and back if you take the DH off of the ridge and the new loop, but yeah having it connected will change how you ride the park.

You will be able to have a short ride there if you want or just ride the entire trail in a different way. Since it was a giant loop and will now be a giant figure 8, you will have the opportunity to do that new trail, the DH, and then all the alexander ridge stuff on the first half of the ride. Then you can do the DH to the marina, climb back up the ridge and then back out to the power line section to the car. Since the Alexander ridge side is the toughest part of the loop, you will be able to ride it with fresher legs. It actually changes the dynamic of the ride. I have done it that way and I like it better b/c it gives you options over the dread of having to do the entire loop.

I have had two major mechanical failures since i scoped out that new connector trail and it probably saved me 45 minutes of walking back to the car.

We have signs up for most of the trails and we will be finishing those up this summer along with proper blazing and trail ratings. Focusing on little aspects this summer instead of new major trail construction.

The White Jeff W
    Dude thanks so much for the work you do out there. I really need to get out that way more often as my tech riding skills have gone in the shitter since I moved here. Too much easy single track, not enough chunk, except Moraine, of course.