mtbr member
    May 2007

Morain State Park

I came across this article from singletrack.com The Most Technical Mountain Bike Trails in the World | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog calling Moraine State park one of the worlds most technical trail systems. I've never been, but have never noticed anyone on the forums really promoting it as being as intense as the article says it is. Just wondering what the consensus may be regarding this. I'm constantly looking to earn my next merit badge in technical trails and if this is one of the worlds most... then I may just have to head out there in the Spring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'd say the trail was technical, but find it hard to believe its one of the worlds most technical. I really enjoy riding there when the opportunity arises. The mtb club and riders that maintain the trails there deserve a lot of credit. This trail is one of Pa's gems.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbenny1 View Post
    I'd say the trail was technical, but find it hard to believe its one of the worlds most technical. I really enjoy riding there when the opportunity arises. The mtb club and riders that maintain the trails there deserve a lot of credit. This trail is one of Pa's gems.
    Agreed on all points. Lotsa good challenging technical riding at Moraine, but Ive ridden other places that are more technical, just not as fun!
    No moss...

Hermit
    Moraine is chock full of rocks - dumped by the glaciers (the "glacial moraine"). So 85% of the trail is either on or around rocks. The builders have taken extraordinary measures to move tons of rocks in order to create some really great rock lines - masterpieces of technical trail building.

But 'among the worlds most technical'? If I can ride 75% of the tech stuff (being a 50 year old with 5 years experience) then that doesn't seem likely. But there are some amazing rock features there for sure. I have some videos on youtube showing different parts of the trails out there - search youtube for "Moraine PA mountain bike trails" and look for the ones from swampboy.

I gotta say, Moraine is one of my favorite trails ever. Flowy trails are good (and easier for us old guys) but the challenge and scenery at Moraine is outstanding.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

The White Jeff W
    ^^^What he said^^^
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Moraine's trails are what I'd call "physical," but not really "technical" because most (but not all) of the rocky stuff is on fairly level ground. There aren't many sections of what people think of as "technical downhill" or anything like that; but there are many sections of nothing but hunky boulders and rubber-skidded granite chunks you have to steam through, and finesse through, and man-handle. There's one section that's nothing but schlarfing rock for about 1.5 miles. To make it even more fun we had a race there last month.

Also, not all the trails there are like that -- there are some more typical lakeside singletrack trails running up and down the banks of the lake.

And, Moraine may be really rocky, but not a whole lot more so than Big Bear Lake trails or the nearby Laurel Mountain trails; these are about an hour south of Pittsburgh; Moraine's about an hour north.

Tons of good riding around here. It's funny, I'm from North Carolina mtns, and never heard much about western PA; but there's great riding all around here... though you do have to drive a little more than if I lived in Brevard, Boone, Gastonia, etc. Pittsburgh's a quietly awesome place to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Collins,

Glad you are liking the region. I'm in eastern PA now, but my folks are only about 20 mins from Moraine. When we get back (to let the grandkids/grandps do their thing), we love to hit Moraine. I'll second your comments: Moraine isn't the "technical downhill" that some folks think of when they here "technical trails". It's more of "ultra technical (hard) cross-country". And, the "physical" (beat the hell out of you) part is doubly true. I can't quite remember how I did it on my hardtail. I guess I didn't. I just walked out, sucking my thumb.

Seriously, the Pgh region (and PA as a whole, really!) has a lot to offer in terms of mountain biking. Glad someone from as illustrious a region as western NC agrees!

Best,
    Mark