mtbr member

Moosic Mtn October 5th!!! Be there!

[SIZE="6"]The official press release[/SIZE]

Mountain bikers and hikers join The Nature Conservancy in celebrating new recreation opportunities for
    Moosic Mountain Nature Preserve

NOTE: Members of the news media are invited to attend the dedication ceremony at
    1 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 5, at the Moosic Mountain Preserve. There will be a mountain bike ride and a guided hike immediately following the ceremony (approx. 1:30 p.m.).

Jessup, PA (Oct. 5, 2008) – After 16 months of cleaning up trash and building trails, mountain bikers and hikers are ready to begin enjoying the fruits of their labor at Moosic Mountain, a windswept landmark overlooking the Lackawanna Valley in Northeast Pennsylvania.

When the groups get together October 5 to dedicate the new trail system, they’ll mark an important milestone in the effort to protect Moosic Mountain, a wild corner of Pennsylvania located only a couple of hours from Harrisburg, Philadelphia or New York City.

A decade ago, this 2,200-foot peak near Scranton was slated for a business park. In 2001, The Nature Conservancy purchased 1,200 acres of rare barrens and worked with local development officials to relocate the proposed business park. The Conservancy then began working with mountain bike clubs and community groups to establish a nature preserve among the rocks and knee-high heath and blueberry plants.

Since May 2007, 65 volunteers have contributed 775 hours at the Preserve, working on trails, manhandling heavy-duty weed whackers through the brush and removing more than 500 abandoned tires from the site.

They've created about eight new miles of single track hiking and biking trail, linked by existing dirt roads and jeep trails.

"We were thrilled to be part of this project," says mountain biker Rob Gregory. "Moosic Mountain is an awesome place. It's the most diverse place in Northeast PA. You have conglomerate stone, birch trees, oaks, maples, pitch pines, ferns, blueberries, flagstone, low growth, tall trees, amazing views and a ton more that we want to incorporate into the trails. It's like a 1,500-acre playground."

Gregory designed one of the trails, a rocky single track path that takes bikers and hikers over several “balds” -- open areas of lichen-encrusted rocky patches—to a big-boulder corridor that the volunteers dubbed, “Stonehenge.”

Gregory, along with bikers Lee Curry and Gene Katapski, designed the trails to blend into the landscape, so hikers and bikers would have minimal impact on the land, which The Nature Conservancy identifies as one of the largest intact scrub oak/heath communities left in North America. It is also home to three rare natural communities and at least 18 rare species.

“Moosic Mountain is an ecological gem,” says Ralph Cook, Director of The Nature Conservancy’s Northeastern Pennsylvania Office. “Although the preserve harbors rare species, it’s also a hardy, rugged place, with austere beauty through the winter months, blueberries and wildflowers in summer, and stunning year-round views of the Lackawanna Valley.”

The enthusiastic mountain bikers and hikers will be joining neighbors, local leaders and public officials for a Sunday celebration of the new trails at the Conservancy’s Moosic Mountain Nature Preserve, which now encompasses 1,500 acres east of Scranton and just south of Jessup. The preserve -- adjacent to 7,200 acres of state game and forest land—is already popular for hiking, hunting, bird watching and photography.

Many of these “friends of Moosic Mountain” are expected at the Sunday celebration. They’ll get a first glimpse of the preserve map and have an opportunity to hike or bike the new trails, all of which were designed, cleared and marked by volunteers.

“Great praise is due to our mountain biking friends and our friends and neighbors who volunteered many, many hours painstakingly putting in these trails on difficult terrain,” remarked Jenny Case, Stewardship Program Manager, for the Conservancy.

The trail-building process began more than a year ago when members of two local bike clubs, Hubbard Bike Club and NE PA Mountain Biking Association, visited the Preserve with Case.

The trail planners tried to highlight the Preserve’s extraordinary natural wonders. Casual hikers and bikers might venture onto the “Blueberry Trail,” a gradual, winding climb through the blueberry and heath barrens. Those seeking longer, more challenging adventures can explore the Preserve’s southern trails, which twist and turn through rocky, landscapes and unusual sights.

The Conservancy hopes to connect all of the trails with one exterior loop trail, which could be expanded as the Preserve expands. Hikers and mountain bikers access the trails via abandoned dirt roads; however, vehicular traffic and ATV use are prohibited throughout the Preserve. Trail maps will be available on The Nature Conservancy’s website: www.nature.org/pennsylvania. Preserve visitors are reminded to wear blaze orange during hunting season, since hunting is permitted on the property.

For more information on Moosic Mountain Nature Preserve, call The Nature Conservancy at 570-643-7922 or see http://www.nature.org/wherewework/no...s/art1599.html.

The Nature Conservancy is a leading conservation organization working around the world to protect ecologically important lands and waters for nature and people. To date, the Conservancy and its more than one million members have been responsible for the protection of more than 15 million acres in the United States and have helped preserve more than 102 million acres in Latin America, the Caribbean, Asia and the Pacific. Visit The Nature Conservancy on the Web at www.nature.org.

Moosic Mtn. is just East of Scranton. For directions to MMP, click here http://www.hubbardbicycleclub.com/ph...opic.php?t=145

Here's some maps

Bring your biggest wheels! It's the most steady, technical trail system in the Lackawanna Valley.
    Ttyl, Fahn
    Last edited by LarryFahn; 10-02-2008 at 08:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Larry

You guys did an awesome job is a short period of time. Sure hope I can make it Sunday.

Is there a .gpx file available of the entire trail system?
    Greg
    I may be late to the game and won't finish first, but I'll still be smilin'

mtbr member
    I'm not too sure about that Greg. The GPSing has been done by Rich G. on Google earth. Jennt Case also has it on her GPS from work (more detailed) but I don't know if they're available in a GPX file or not. ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'll be there! What time on Sunday?

mtbr member
    1pm is the time to be there. ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Larry,

Just today I gave in and bought a 29er..... I won't be bringing it on Sunday. I'll have my Jamis.. Can we still be friends? lol I just had to try it out for myself

I ended up getting a ridiculous deal through my new job (client has a bike shop) and got a Raleigh XXIX+G, it's speced out pretty well. I need to throw some upgrades on it but throw a set of eggbeaters on there and it's ready to go as is for now.

mtbr member
    Scared? I thought so! Just an FYI, the "G" in the name... Yeah that's right, it's for GIRLS! See you on Sunday. ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Amazing trail system, cant make it for the 5th but cant wait to check out the new trails next time I visit..

mtbr member
    WOW! Great job Larry..... to your group as well. Hopefully I'll be able to get up there and ride before the snow flies.

Kevin
    WVMTBA

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Larry:

We are ready for the Big Opening... bring'in the crew with me. I rode with Jenny the other day at the Greenways Summit ride in JT we got to talk a bit between raindrops or should I say buckets! She is very excited as am I.

I would like to extend my thanks to you for getting it done! I know Gene, Paris, and Ed as well as many others had hands on helping make this possible and I thank them also! I can tell you from the cold days we spent talking about plans after walking many miles around the Nature Conservancy property we had the dream someday it would all be connected. It was a pleasure working with you and discovering the many good surprises that were around every corner or should I say "Stone"

To have the opportunity we were offered is a great happening!

Our Hats(helmets) off to you my friend!

Like I say "Build trails ~ Ride trails... did you get a 29er yet?...LOL!

mtbr member
    Hey, like my signature says... And now the proof is posted!!!

Thanks guys, The View trail is completed as of tonight. Well, it still needs some raking, stone work on the ramp and some more low cutting, but it's hikable and 90% ridable. The rest will be finished up Frinight and Saturday. A small hiking trail needs to be cut to The Cliffs yet. This section will only be about 200' if I recall correctly. I'll prolly do this on Saturday. I think I'm officially over 150hrs and unofficially over 220hrs this year.

A special thanks to Gene (he's got to be over 100hrs), Ed Giombetti, Paris and Heart Attack for coming up on even the rainy days I sheduled and working through it!

The amazing thing about the Moosic Mountain Preserve is how you're in a maze of Scrub Oak and Blueberry bushes and you find ways through it. It seems like its all grown in and "there's nothing over there", but as soon as you start to venture you'll find another rock garden 100 feet from where you just said the quote. I was showing 1-9 (Jay) some rock areas on The View that will be added next year. As we're pushing through the HEAVY overgrowth I stop and look to my right. Jay asks what I see. Keep in mind that he's only 5-6' behind me. He can't see what I'm staring at! As he comes up to me he says Holy $#!+... It's like finding gold. We fould an area of Conglamorate with Black Gum trees growing every couple feet. This wasn't any rock garden. It's an area the size of maybe 2 football fields! The point is if we didn't walk 100' off of the trail and be in that exact spot, we prolly would have never found this gem. This will be added in next year to officially extend The View all the way back to the entrance of Conglamorate Loop.

Ttyl, Fahn
    Last edited by LarryFahn; 10-01-2008 at 06:58 PM.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I had spent 30 hrs marking, remarking and fine tuning the trail until I thought it was just right. That's only the first inside loop known as Conglamorate. Gene had O'Connors dam trail marked off too.
    30 people showed up the first work day of this year. We had no trails at this time. It took 30 ppl 6 hrs a piece (on average) to put in LESS THAN 2 MILES of trail. Today we have 9 miles of trails!
    Last edited by LarryFahn; 10-05-2008 at 09:00 PM.

mtbr member

Hey a few of us from Mountain.....

Top are planning on coming up Sunday. I remember that first work day....can't wait to take a ride on the new trails. Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Great! You guys will love it! ttyl, Fahn

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Dems fight'in words

I'll be on a Rigid Singlespeed [SIZE=7]26er[/SIZE]

Better have CPR ready!

LOL!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    To all:

Just wanted to add:

Our own NEPMTBA-PARTS advisory member, Loren Possinger from DCNR will be giving a speech at the event, then changing clothes and riding with us along with his son Jake who just got a new 29er ride and recently started racing Mt bikes! Loren is a great speaker and always has very interesting stories!

See ya there!

mtbr member

Incredible!!!!

Really enjoyed todays ride at MMC. The trails turned out fantastic! A huge thanks goes out to all who worked on the trails and especially to the designers. Amazing lines , terrain, views, and feel up on the mountain. Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Awesome terrain, fantastic use of terrain in trail design, great group of people, and some great food to top it off. I have never had so much fun getting the crap beat out of me in my life and I have to say that today was quite possibly the best time I ever had riding my bike!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    To everyone involved with Moosic Mtn:

THANK YOU!! I've been riding it all summer, but yesterday with the number of riders we had the trails are really broken in now and it rocked! Great ride! Great scenery! Great people and great food afterwards!

Larry- Thanks for changing your sig just for me, you didn't have to do that. lol P.S. I know I told you yesterday a hundred times, but great job again!

Nepmtba- thanks for the stickers!

Kraz- Nice meeting and riding with you. Glad you had a great time on the trails. Hit me up on here when you wanna get together. I'd love to ride the Tubs area sometime soon.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    ira4ever76:

Great to see ya! Glad you enjoyed the stickers, come ride the mOOn and tubs with us!

http://ridethemoon.blogspot.com

Ride...