Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here. Moosic Mt Thanksgiving ride

Our friend from Indy, Crawfishy...

...is coming in for Thanksgiving and would like to hook up and ride Moosic mt. Let's say we plan for Sat or Sun between 9 and Noon? Gotta burn off the Turkey with a great ride.

Here's a few pics, and our blog that will be updated soon as there are more trail miles now at MMP

http://moosicmtpreservetrails.blogspot.com/

Jeff B. you might have been neighbors in Indy?

Myself, Bear, and Big Daddy Todd are in so far anyone else?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moosic Mt Thanksgiving ride-mmp-grand-opening-10-5-08-015.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 11-02-2009 at 06:29 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Saturday the 28th??? As long as you guys are starting around 10 or so you can count me in!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by ira4ever76
    Saturday the 28th??? As long as you guys are starting around 10 or so you can count me in!
    John:

All right, glad to have ya on board, maybe be we can, make this a yearly event with Hubbard and all clubs in on it!

The big Crawfishy/Turkey ride. I think I smell gumbo!

Can you put in a call for some great weather like the day in the pics?

Chilling out
    9am?

Man, I like morning rides, but I think I need to find a Merino wool codpiece.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

No good

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    9am?

Man, I like morning rides, but I think I need to find a Merino wool codpiece.
    I'm not even asking if that will be displayed or worn under.

Crawfishy
    Jun 2004
    I can tell already that I am going to like riding with this group!
    "98% of us will die at some point in our lives" - Ricky Bobby

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfishy
    I can tell already that I am going to like riding with this group!
    Ya, we like to keep the Funometer at Full Throttle! Can't wait to hear about your local trails either. Indy's just a hop away and Ray's is in between, not to mention the big motorcycle show and the Indy 500, him lot's of reasons to hop out there!

mtbr member

Yeah!

Lee...we might be in too. We haven't ridden with you in a long time. Should be a great time! Here are a couple other photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moosic Mt Thanksgiving ride-mmc-3-21-09-030.jpg  

Moosic Mt Thanksgiving ride-moosic-3-7-09-010.jpg  

Moosic Mt Thanksgiving ride-mmc-3-21-09-012.jpg  

Moosic Mt Thanksgiving ride-mmc-5-28-08-030.jpg  

Moosic Mt Thanksgiving ride-mmc-5-23-09-114.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Laura:

Great, Great, Great!

You can lead the mantra: Only one more hill, only one mor.......LOL

Did you ever have ham?
    I am going to hook up my MP3 player to some nice speakers so I can crank Uncle Ted the whoooooole way! Uh Oh!

mtbr member

Looks like I'm gonna ...

miss it due to some travelling round for the Turkey.....but here are a few pics to keep you thinking of MMC. These were in Feb of this year...so it might be cool on t day just like it was on this day....
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member

Here's a few more...

from Feb. and in the warm weather last year during a trail work day organized by Hubbard crew....
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    1) Conglomerate
    2) Conglomerate
    3) The section where the Tupilo Honey loop goes out and comes back is to the photographers right. The riders are on the continuum of Stonehenge just after the wet roman road.
    4) Genes Trail
    5) Genes Trail

The guy in the gray coat is holding on to Betty. When you spend as much time up there building as I do, you start to name the trees, rocks, roots, birds, ferns... 80+hrs the first fall/winter. 200+ last year. 70+ this year.
    350 hrs of trail work in 2 years up there.

Not to forget the 400+hrs Gene Katapski put in and the great trailwork days this last Summer when 25+ members of Hubbard Bike Club showed up and built 5 miles of singletrack (150hrs) in one day!

Well Lee, you'll prolly need a new map since you've been up here! ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Smile

Rob:

Did you include all the pre building work we did?

I have been up there lot's this past summer in the rain most times!

I love rid'in there! One time late in the day it looked like a thunderstorm, so I just headed up to the top of Blueberry in case I had to bail I could get back to the car.I was on Blueberry trail going downhillI when I saw 2 buck. I stopped and ducked down, while laying my bike over quietly. One noticed me, but the other didn't and kept walking up the trail towards me. It was near the old spring, and I assume they were coming to drink. I was directly on the trail and so were the deer. As he got closer I could hear him breathing and snorting as he browsed on twigs and leaves, and was no more than 25 feet from me. I though holy s&&t he's gonna walk right up to me and it was too late to stand up as I didn't want to really scare him. I just made a clicking sound with my brakes levers. That got his attention and the wind must have been right for him to get my scent.

The other deer turned and walked down towards the rock field on Blueberry. The first one followed. He first started to run then stopped and stood looking around, so I could only assume he didn't get my scent and just the noise I made was enough to alert him and when I stopped making the noise he felt calm. If I had been 2 seconds later I would have been in the fields area of Blueberry and they would have seen me! but being still in the tress it all worked out had the camera out, but if I stood up I had no chance to get their pic! They both wandered off and I rode down Blueberry and never saw them again. It didn't rain and I had a blast after that but it made my day.

Gotta love that place!

NEPMTBA
    NATURE IS COOL

mtbr member
    Hey Rob, if you do have a map, send a few my way as I had a few people in here that were at Slocum during the week asking about MM. I also gave them your email so you should here from them!

mtbr member
    Also, Rob,,,Pm me directions so I can tell people how to get there. I have an idea, but don't want to send people off the wrong way!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

For the Big "NEPMTBA" Thanksgiving Ride:

Here's all the info for everyone to view

Directions can be obtained here:

http://nepmtba.piczo.com/moosicmtpre...=000044http://

Take 81S to exit 187. After Dunmore/Throop exit. Look for Rt.6 signs. Exit is on the Left. Only one direction to take(East). Go first exit off of Rt. 6- Marshwood Road/Mt. Cobb. At Stop sign, left, follow up Marshwood Road for 2.25 miles.Road that merges in from your left. Entrance to MMP is on your Left about .25 miles from the merge.

Trail maps will be available from me on the day of the big "NEPMTBA" ride.

More info here:
    http://www.nepmtba.piczo.com

Email
    nepmtba@yahoo.com

The date will be announced soon and we will have a little preride meeting as to, talk about the loop NEPMTBA has already planned out. Our ride will be around 2 hours at a medium pace with breaks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moosic Mt Thanksgiving ride-eales_preserve.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hey Rob...Thanks for the return PM"S....appreciate it!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Add this from my GIS software:

GIS co-ords for GPS nav

41 26' 16" N
    75 32' 32" W
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moosic Mt Thanksgiving ride-mmp-paint.jpg  

Did you ever have ham?

Moosic Mt Thanksgiving ride

Wow Lee, everything I ever wanted to know about Moosic Mountain Preserve but was afraid to ask...LOL! NEPMTBA really has ya covered with info. There was one thing you could have left out...the duration of the ride. After two hours or more in the saddle, I just hope I don't look like this fella!

Did you ever have ham?
    Hey, what are all those squiggly lines on the map? LOL!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Yes we do...It's all that GIS software from the state...

...and don't worry I got ya covered with a special loop just for you! They are lines of declination, but it would be more fun to tell ya there "TRAILS"

"GOOD GOD MAN" what have ya done to yourself?

Did you ever have ham?
    HOLY ****!!! Is that the elusive bipedal, albino rhino? It looks upset, maybe it wants a snackie!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    HOLY ****!!! Is that the elusive bipedal, albino rhino? It looks upset, maybe it wants a snackie!
    Yes, and he's ""SLIGHTLY HORNY"

mtbr member
    Wow Lee, everything I ever wanted to know about Moosic Mountain Preserve but was afraid to ask...LOL!
    Once you ride the trails Hubbard Bike Club put in, you'll be as obsessed as Lee is too! He's not the only one who loves our work. Right, Lee?
    Hubbard Bike Club

Did you ever have ham?
    I am looking forward to it, Larry. Of course, my fat, old, out of shape ass is dreading it! LOL!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Rob:

Thanks for the info and the return PM

I'll make sure I make the trail corrections.

Sometime when you have a day you have to check out the Free Ride stuff at mOOn. I think you'll have fun on it! Bring Jay also!

NEPMTBA
    WE KNOW... NOWHERE
    NOWHERE IS EVERYWHERE

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    Once you ride the trails Hubbard Bike Club put in, you'll be as obsessed as Lee is too! He's not the only one who loves our work. Right, Lee?
    Yes sir ree, Rob!

I always give props and it's in my previous posts above also. It was a lot of work and being involved with it gave NEPMTBA the chance to work with some very fine folks.

I always said stepping up to help "OTHER" places is the "CORRECT" way!

Those who missed the opportunity at MMP really missed something they will never get the opportunity again in this lifetime!. In the beginning there were naysayers barking about "Not going there to help or you'll be thrown out after you build all those trails" Ha Ha!

WELL, THE"RE EATING CROW NOW!

The one thing I always think of is how much land is there and we got to play with it! It might sound like bragging and HELL YES it is, but once a person rides it they find many unique and different things to ride.

The Nature Conservancy is Fantastic!

Between there and Moon Lake we have the 2 best "LEGAL" places to ride in NEPA where no one will question or bother anyone, with the opportunity to expand more in both areas. It was great to see the Hubbard guys traveling to the mOOn for rides. I received lot's of personal emails which was nice!

NEPMTBA
    IF WE BUILD IT... ALL WILL RIDE IT

Did you ever have ham?

Hello, we have a wonderful shooow for you tonight. Let's start off with NEPA's version of the Beatles, The Rockaway Booze Hounds

I can't wait to ride Moosic Mt, it sounds like a fantastic place! Just a little note before the ride thanking everybody who was involved with making this place happen. Anytime you can get a great bunch of folks united together for a common purpose, well, that is truly awesome!!! I salute you!!!
    Last edited by motoman465; 11-07-2009 at 03:53 AM. Reason: photo did not work

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Here's the plan...

NEPMTBA's ride at MMP will be on Saturday November 28th, 12 noon, meet at main gate, bring your bike, helmet, safety gear, hydration, and a tray of pizza and adult beverages...LOL

The last 2 are optional of course, or are the others optional and the last 2 mandatory?

Hum?

Ride time 2 hours plus with breaks at a moderate medium pace.

Hard rain cancels ride!
    2 feet or more of snow does too.(we will be gone snowmobiling somewhere!... LOL)

Hope to everyone there!

Crawfishy
    Jun 2004

Can't wait

Noon it is. I am looking forward to it. Trying to get some miles in here before we head out in a couple of weeks. Love all of the pics. Will have adult beverage in tow.

Did you ever have ham?
    Well, I enjoyed the turkey and all the fixins...now it is time to try to work it off! LOL! Tomorrow will be my first ride at Moosic Mountain and I am psyched! Hope to see ya there!

Our local TV meteoroligist is calling for it to be windy and cold with a chance of flurries and a high in the mid 40's. Make sure you dress warm enough and don't forget your hydration and Clif bars!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Did you ever have ham?

Well, according to the weatherbug on my computer it is 42 and every now and again there are some pretty big gusts that rattle the window but it is almost time to ride! Looking forward to meet a new friend and having some good times today.

mtbr member
    Have fun today. The wind up there might be harsh at some points. If it's going to flurry anywhere in NEPA, you'll be there to see it! Unfortunately, I have to work today to pay off the new toy. Post some pics and let us know of any problems. Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

To all:

Looks like a really nice day for November, and we will have a great ride .

See everyone at the main gate.

Did you ever have ham?

I don't think I have ever seen so many rocks in one place before! LOL! One day I will be able to make it all the way around up there.

Crawfishy, it was great meeting you. You are a great guy and a true asset to our sport! Thanks for coming out for the ride, I am glad you had a good time!

Thanks to Lee, Ted, Joan, Loren, and Jake for coming out, too. A good, but exhausting, time was had by all!

Chilling out
    Mr. Fahn, great stuff out there. So sorry you had to work instead of play today, it was a good chilly day on the hill.

I had almost all of my inclement weather gear in play ( just call me Mr. Thin Blood ) but I gotta say that with three jersey layers (one wool), a wind shell, arm warmers, insulation on the legs, wind-resistant cap, insulated gloves, winter booties, and "anti freeze" I was all good to play.

It was particularly good to take an out-of-towner on a ride, that always adds Extra Happiness to a ride for me. Paying back, as it were.

I didn't get many pics, but I did get a couple.

Sister Joanie showing us how to ride rocks.

And of course Lee's gotta point out the rocks. :P

mtbr member
    Hey bear, what was the official milage of what we rode today?
    I'm the kind of person you need to keep your eye on or I'll wander off into the woods and forget to come back...

Chilling out
    Garmin says we did a whalloping 6.94 miles, but with 2200 ft of climbing.

That, and the twelve trips up my four-flight stairwell I did after I got home, helping M with some household stuff, explains why my quads are really tired. :P

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Another great ride in the books

Big Daddy and myself did a bit of clean up as we arrived early, removing 3 automotive tires at which on point while Big Daddy carried a tire from up and out of the trail a hiker asked "Is that all that is left of your car" ...LOL

We then rode the Blueberry trail back to the parking lot, and Crawfishy arrived, after a brief introduction others also arrived, we commenced onto a great ride, with our new friend from Indy, Crawfishy, and the rest of the crew: Joan, Ted, Big Daddy, Loren & Jake.

Weather was fine with the usual wind. Started at main gate and rode to O'Conners, climbing, dodging and cranking over rocks and such, then around the back. Great views were had with crystal clear skies.

Big Daddy led the 29er cause, and it was nice to see a mix of 29er singlespeeds, and gearie 29ers. Loren now a believer, riding Jakes bike, while Jake was on the 29er SS. Loren soon to be next to convert, followed by Joan I'm sure. Ted opted for his mega travel 26er Titus,leaving his 29er at home to rest, Crawfishy showed up with a really cool "Dean" in Ti flavor!

Jake led us around and over all the rocks, and of course we stopped to play at different times challenging the rock formations! Traction at MMP is never a problem, so riding rocks is much easier than the pre oiled icy wonders at the mOOn! None the less It was heard that "there might be a few rocks on the ride" to which the response was "there might be a little dirt between the rocks on the ride"... LOL

Crawfishy:
    Thanks for coming to ride with us, and your always welcome back for more!

Once again creating a true memory, now logged into our memory banks, I'm sure this will become an annual NEPMTBA ride at Moosic Mt. Glad we could all assemble to ride and enjoy each others company."Hi" to John & Dan who were hiking

Thanks to all.......
    NEPMTBA
    WE'RE ALL ABOUT "RIDING"

Crawfishy
    Jun 2004

Thank you all!

Lee, Joan, Ted, Big Daddy, Loren & Jake,

Thank you very much for showing me a great time. I can't remeber ever taking so long to ride less than 7 miles. Than again, as I told you, it is fast and flat here in Indy.

The trails were great. All of the groups that contribute to the local trails (NEPMBA, Hubbard and any others) you do a great job and keep up the great work. Next time out I hope to ride some of the other areas and possibly make the Hubbard Thursday night ride.

Bid Daddy, I will send a PM your way about gettting your address.

You guys (and ladies) rock,

Crawfishy

Did you ever have ham?

Moosic Mountain

Thanks Crawfishy! It was really great meeting you! Next time we ride together, I will be a better rider and hopefully be able to do the whole thing!

I have to agree with you about the trails. When lots of great people come together for a common cause only greatness can result! Those trails are awesome and brutal at the same time, but they have been put on my "to do" list...LOL!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Thanks Crawfishy! It was really great meeting you! Next time we ride together, I will be a better rider and hopefully be able to do the whole thing!

I have to agree with you about the trails. When lots of great people come together for a common cause only greatness can result! Those trails are awesome and brutal at the same time, but they have been put on my "to do" list...LOL!
    It was a pleasure meeting and riding with Crawfishy, I hope your trip back to Indy was smooth and rock free, Will contact you pre Feburary as we will be out for the Indy Motorcycle dealers show and Super X. I have done a bit of looking on Google Earth at the White River, can't wait to ride your trails! I just hope the weather is with us. Crawfishy, What do you suggest I run for gearing on my 29er SS when riding in your area? I'm running 32/20 around our area.

Moto:

After riding for 5 days straight at totally different places I can see you are truly dedicated to riding, now get a good few days of rest for the mOOn's Wednesday night ride.

Thanks guys!

Crawfishy
    Jun 2004
    Please do let me know when you come out. I can't say for certain that the TRTP trails will be open because of the weather and there will be construction going on on the highway that cuts the north side and south side in half. There are plenty of other places we can find to ride though. Check out HMBA.org for a better list of riding in Indiana.

As for gearing, you can easily get away with a 2:1 ratio around here. I have run 36x16 before too.

Drive back was okay until central Ohio where they decided that about 20 miles of road didn't need to be three lanes in either direction. Caused a huge bottle neck for miles.

Thanks again,

Crawfishy

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

When lots of great people come together for a common cause only greatness can result!
    And on the flip side,

some people,

just post "a lot" in the thread,

and then don't show for the ride.

Interesting?

LOL

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I actually feel guilty about hiking that day, but my buddy doesn't have a bike and was only in town for the holiday. So we had to hike. it was still fun and i got to see a lot of stuff that after almost 2 years of riding up there i hadn't seen before lol i guess when you slow down and look around you can see some really cool stuff...... but thats it for hiking lol back to riding... i must ride away my hiking guilt!!!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I actually feel guilty about hiking that day, but my buddy doesn't have a bike and was only in town for the holiday. So we had to hike. it was still fun and i got to see a lot of stuff that after almost 2 years of riding up there i hadn't seen before lol i guess when you slow down and look around you can see some really cool stuff...... but thats it for hiking lol back to riding... i must ride away my hiking guilt!!!!
    John:

The best way is with that new ride
    WOO HOO

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I agree. but it won't be on the trails for a little while.... unless you guys want to make donations? Yes, I have no shame hahahahaha!

Did you ever have ham?

Moosic Mt Thanksgiving Ride

I agree. but it won't be on the trails for a little while.... unless you guys want to make donations? Yes, I have no shame hahahahaha!
    I didn't know that we were allowed to ask for donations, otherwise I would have done it a long time ago!!! LOL!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    you gotta give me points for effort lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast