mtbr member

Moosic Mountain NEPA - Anyone riding today 8-23-13?

I am visiting friends and am about 20 mins from Moosic Mountain. I've ridden Merli and Prompton and am excited to give Moosic a try today. I will be there about 4pm and it would be great to meet up with someone familiar with the trails for a ride.

I have my bike, tools, tubes, etc. I am a clydesdale so I am not the fastest on climbs - slow and steady and can hold my own in technical terrain and downhill sections. I would rate my overall skills as intermediate. Endurance level I can do 1.5-2 hours max depending on the amount of climbing in this place.

I realize this is last minute but the guys I was gonna ride with both injured themselves in the last 48 hours. I do have the trail map loaded in my iPhone Maprika app, but again would prefer to ride with someone familiar with the trials. PM me or post here if you can make this work.

Thanks!!!

mtbr member

Moosic Mountain 8/23/13

So...

On Friday 8/23 I took to this trail for the first time and was mesmerized. Not just by the terrain, but the scenery. It also helped that it was 75 degrees, low humidity and a nice breeze. Trail route as follows:

Up Blueberry, crossed the power lines where the singletrack contines
    Came to a Y and went left to take Waterfall back out to power lines
    Continued down power lines, took a right and did a small loop - not sure name of trail
    Came back out continued to Gene's Trail
    Took Gene's trail around reservoir out to the fire rode
    Was spent at this point so climbed the fire road (as opposed to taking Bruised Ego)
    Back to the parking lot on the last small section of Bruised Ego

It ended up being exactly 8 miles and took me about 1:45. All I can say is I had a blast. I have not ridden anything this technical since my trips to Utah years ago. Other riders have posted comparisons to Moab and SW Utah with this trail and I totally see it. The slick-rock like sections plus the constant rocks in your face had me smiling the whole way.

One of my buddies was better by Sunday so we rode it again 8/25 in the morning. We took Blueberry up, crossed power lines, followed single track, took right @ Y and did full Waterfall loop. Rode back up power line section back to top of Blueberry and took that back down to parking lot. Ended up @ 6.6 miles in about 1:15.

I love this place and I will be back. Luckily I have friends 20 minutes away where I can stay. Next time I plan on hitting the mid-mountain trails Stonehenge and Conglomerate and tie in the section of Bruised Ego I missed and that should cover about 95% of the trails. Here are some pics from Friday towards the top of Blueberry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moosic Mountain NEPA - Anyone riding today 8-23-13?-blueberry-082313a.jpg  

Moosic Mountain NEPA - Anyone riding today 8-23-13?-blueberry-082313.jpg  

mtbr member
    Cool! Glad you liked it! We get compared to Moab? :-) Anyway, next time you're there add in Conglomerate to The View (but do The View backwards) to Stonehenge. Go up the powerline to Waterfall or Bones (that's the trail that you took when you crossed the powerline to the Y) and bomb down Blueberry. Conglomerate, The View and half of Stonehenge are my evil ideas of techy trails. Very slow, tight and technical trails. If there's rocks, we used them. Blueberry, Bones and Waterfall are our flowy trails. Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    I would like to check the area out, where can I find info on trails etc? I rode in the area once years ago but what I saw was mainly four wheeler trails. I went out the one trail that follows the tracks and heads North and I also rode down and around the south side where it goes down into Rocky Glen. I'm assuming the trails are farther up the mountain.

mtbr member
    I am not a local, but the parking lot was easy to find off of Rt. 6 (247 exit). If you have a smart phone, download the Maprika app (free). Maprika has the trail map loaded, so make sure you pull it in before your ride. When you pull the trail map up, it will drop a pin at your location which should be the main parking lot. From there, pick your route.

I've already given my route description, but for your first time there I would recommend going up Blueberry, crossing power lines and taking the waterfall trail (outer loop). It will loop you back around to the Power line trail (think this is called Low Voltage). Ride back up that and take Blueberry back down to the parking lot. You will see once you finish Waterfall that there are other options, but the ride back down Blueberry is a blast!

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Hey thanks for the info and the app! I downloaded it and it looks great. After examining the map I realized I was confusing this with the top of Montage. I use to drive my jeep all over Moosic mountain and never new that was what it was called. I am definetly going too have to check out those trails.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

MMP Map
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moosic Mountain NEPA - Anyone riding today 8-23-13?-mmp-pa_moosic_map.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks, I'm either going there or to Lackawanna ST Pk tonight..

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Depending on what time you get there and what mileage you are looking to ride, you could do blueberry to outer waterfall. follow that down the rock angel and bear left onto the bog trail towards the dam and jeans trail. cross over the service road onto bruised ego, cross the stream and bear right back onto bruised ego. this will take you back to the car. not sure of the total mileage but it is a great ride.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    Depending on what time you get there and what mileage you are looking to ride, you could do blueberry to outer waterfall. follow that down the rock angel and bear left onto the bog trail towards the dam and jeans trail. cross over the service road onto bruised ego, cross the stream and bear right back onto bruised ego. this will take you back to the car. not sure of the total mileage but it is a great ride.
    Thanks, about 1.5-2 hours is good for me. My plan is to be there between 5-530.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Finishing the ride with a trip down Blueberry gives "epic views"

mtbr member
    Anyone in the area want to hit this tonight? I'm a bit of a Clydesdale so if your a 20 year old you might fall asleep waiting on me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    tomorrow 5:30pm

mtbr member
    I could probably do that, are you riding with a group?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i have one buddy who's also riding, we're coming from drums. we've never ridden moosic before but this post really made us interested, especially conglomerate. im super slow, my buddy is a fast rider. pm me if you want to meet up

mtbr member
    I'm jealous. I'm already try to plan my next trip up that way so I can come ride MMP. I have nice trails down this way in SE PA, but nothing that compares to Moosic.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    It was a great ride! I have a love hate relationship with the rocks but I'll be back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    It was a great ride! I have a love hate relationship with the rocks but I'll be back!
    really fun ride kev, best trail i've ridden in PA yet! we need to go back and explore every trail there next time!

Thank you to whoever built this trail...it is really awesome.

mtbr member
    Yep I'm definitely heading back.. I still can't believe how many times I had been there and never new about the trails! Thanks ebayrider for posting this thread!

mtbr member
    Was a fun time..
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Rode Moosic again today.. Rode the waterfall loop-loved it! Came down Blueberry and really loved it! Great trails!
    Last edited by RossJamis; 09-15-2013 at 11:29 PM.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I live close by, in Olyphant. Just got back into riding after 20 years away. Once I get my legs and lungs back in shape, I'll be hitting those trails. I drove past that little parking area at least 50 times and always wondered what was there.

mtbr member
    Hey Hydef, I live in Tunkhannock and ride there and at Lackawanna. If you would like to meet for a ride sometime let me know..
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hey Hydef, I live in Tunkhannock and ride there and at Lackawanna. If you would like to meet for a ride sometime let me know..
    Sounds good. I just went to Prompton today with a buddy. Those trails are way out of my league right now. Too many rocks, lots of technical stuff, maybe I'll go back in the summer after getting in better shape.

It was still fun though despite having to walk some sections and taking two hard falls.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HyDef View Post
    Sounds good. I just went to Prompton today with a buddy. Those trails are way out of my league right now. Too many rocks, lots of technical stuff, maybe I'll go back in the summer after getting in better shape.

It was still fun though despite having to walk some sections and taking two hard falls.
    Have you rode at Lackawanna? Moosic is very technical so Lack might be the best choice. I sent you a PM